Dreger: Rick Tocchet will be most sought after coach in offseason

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Brind'Amour could be available. Not likely but you never know with Dundon. I imagine he'd be a lot more coveted then someone like Rick Tocchet if available.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Curious what people base the idea that Tocchet is a bad coach upon. You hear all the time that the players love playing for him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Coyotes fans are all hoping Tocchet leaves. We don’t want him. Dreger

Dreger seemed to hint that Seattle was the likely destination for Tocchet. Francis connection. If they were going to hire Gallant, they probably would have by now.

People around the game love Tocchet. There was a poll done of all the beat writers by the athletic recently. All of them said Tocchet was the best thing Arizona had going for it. Yet we fans think he’s awful.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It really depends on who is interested in Tocchet and who will consider him. But unless the Coyotes don't sign him I see him likely ending up in Nashville if they get rid of Hynes.

But I think Gallant becomes the Red Wings coach if they get rid of Blashill, just don't see either Tocchet, Hynes, Blashill or Gallant going to Seattle. I think they go with someone they're connected with already.

rt

May 13, 2004
He makes hockey unwatchable, which is a good thing for shitty, mediocre teams with no talent.
If you’re suggesting his system is somehow chillingly defensive and efficient, you’re not correct. That applied to Dave Tippett in Arizona. The Coyotes have not been a boring, but solid shut down team under Tocchet like they were with Tippett. They’ve just been extremely bad.

rt

May 13, 2004
Curious what people base the idea that Tocchet is a bad coach upon. You hear all the time that the players love playing for him.
His philosophy has been “play fast” which has translated to players panicking, making rushed plays, and tons of mistakes. They have only produced anything off the rush and that’s rare. They’ve done nothing with established possession.

He doesn’t adjust ever. If they get a good start, the other team adjusts and the Coyotes just fall apart. The Coyotes are never the team that adjusts to right the ship.

His typical response to any question about the unmitigated disaster his teams have been is “I don’t know.” Seriously. He usually just tells reporters he doesn’t know what happened and why things aren’t working.

The Coyotes had a MAJOR problem with a country club atmosphere and a lack of accountability. Tocchet seems like a major problem. He got his GM to acquire Kessel who didn’t even try last season, and just coasted through. Escaped all criticism from Tocchet.

Derek Stepan was fed the choicest minutes and was a complete clown. Piss poor effort level. Total goof ball fun times guy, bragging about not taking everything too serious and having his six pack of Bud light every night. Goligoski said he learned from Stepan not to take things so seriously. Goligoski’s play has been free falling since.

Tocchet didn’t address fundamental problems. Probably because he was part of them. Players loving him is actually a problem. The Coyotes had major accountability issues. The players all said it was the closest locker room they’ve ever be a part of. And it showed. They were too buddy being best bros to try hard, win games, or be accountable. It was just a big support group for letting everyone off the hook.

Luckily, Chayka ran away from the mess he made and Bill Armstrong had come in and knocked heads around. He immediately fired a shit ton of people, let every UFA walk, traded Stepan, and hired his own choice of assistant coaches, excluding Tocchet.

BA’s introductory press conference was really something else. He was mostly screaming and pounding on the table the whole time, and mean-mugging everyone. He knew was a huge mess was festering in Arizona. He brought in a bunch of new players known for their work ethic and energy and grit. Johan Larsson, Tyler Pitlick, Drake Caggiula, Derrick Brassard, and John Hayden.

BA lit a fire under everyone’s ass and the team has looked so much better this season than at any other time under Tocchet. The assumption by Coyotes fans is that newly promoted Jay Varady and newly hired Corey Stillman are doing the majority of the heavy lifting and Tocchet is fully a figurehead at this point.

rt

May 13, 2004
It really depends on who is interested in Tocchet and who will consider him. But unless the Coyotes don't sign him I see him likely ending up in Nashville if they get rid of Hynes.

But I think Gallant becomes the Red Wings coach if they get rid of Blashill, just don't see either Tocchet, Hynes, Blashill or Gallant going to Seattle. I think they go with someone they're connected with already.
Dreger claimed there’s a Tocchet/Francis connection. Could explain the delay in hiring.

Possible there’s an illegal but unprovable and tentative agreed between the two. As a Coyotes fan, I sure hope so.

To me it’s a little odd that Tocchet wasn’t fired and doesn’t have an extension. I also would have thought a head coach would have been named in Seattle. Maybe Bill Armstrong doesn’t even mind.

After the Chayka fiasco, ownership had no choice but to lean heavily on Tocchet. It could be they’re loyal to him and there’s a bit of a standoff. Best for BA to bring in his own guys (Stillman and Varady) since this is an evaluation year anyway. Let Tocchet ride out the season, let BA become the more trusted voice with ownership over time, and just let Tocchet walk.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Arizona has been an under performing team versus the talent they have had the last few years with Tocc as the coach. Tocc has had a much better roster than Tip had, but his results have not been much better if at all. Tocc also has Raanta/Kuemper, the number 1 and 2, saw a stat recently, in save % in the entire NHL the last few years. He has had great goal tending. A number of players have left Az Domi/Strome as examples and have been much better elsewhere. Outside of Garland last year, none of the vets or rookies flourished under Tocc. The last few games this year, Keller/Schmaltz/Chychrun/Garland/Dvorak have looked much better and the team looks better, just beat the Blues 3 straight. I think the younger players are maturing, Tocc isn't making the team better.

I don't see why Tocc would be in demand, the team has under achieved even with great goal tending the last few years. Mediocre coach in 3+ seasons, I don't see it.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
People are asking "what has he done" like as if Tocchet wasn't the Asst Coach for 2 Cup wins, won a cup as a player himself, just led the 11th seed Coytoes to a 3-1 qualifier win over the 6th seed Predators, and has a reputation as a coach players like. The Coyotes will almost certainly finish top 4 in the Western Division and make the playoffs again.

Not that I think he's anything special as a coach, but he has a positive track record.

That being said, I doubt he would be many teams' first choice over Gallant, and he won't be any teams' first choice over Sullivan if Hextall and Burke let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad