Confirmed with Link: Rick Olczyk to join Toronto Management

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Can't afford him and he's not worth 6 anyhow.

youre right. hes probably worth 7ish. the Gardiner hate on this forum is embarrassing, #2 Dmen on most teams in the NHL but not for the Toronto Maple Leafs!

Edit: Then again, reading your old posts. you couldnt hit water out of a boat with your thoughts so its par for the course. Couldnt trade bernier, Sosh has the best shot on the Leafs. good calls man. Im sure I could go further but you need 3 sources to clarify an opinion.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Topic at hand - Very excited to have another cap body on the payroll. People worry so much about things that will be handled internally by our elite group. The teams in good hands, dont fret

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
It’s funny when I think about other people from the league worrying about Leafs and it’s cap crunch. I mean the likes of Hymans, Browns, Kapanens, Johnssons will be shipped out after we boost their value and get more young blood to keep it filled and the cycle will rinse and repeat.

People already forgot how Chicago used to do ut or how Pitsburgh did it, when you have your core guys locked you don’t need a bunch of others to support them, they will be the ones who turn the others into good players not the other way around.

This whole myth about, “oh but you need more depth”, is completely false and stupid. Idiocy at it’s best.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We need more people in the front office. Didnt we lose a ton of guys this year? Need to bring in some good hockey minds and connections

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
youre right. hes probably worth 7ish. the Gardiner hate on this forum is embarrassing, #2 Dmen on most teams in the NHL but not for the Toronto Maple Leafs!

Edit: Then again, reading your old posts. you couldnt hit water out of a boat with your thoughts so its par for the course. Couldnt trade bernier, Sosh has the best shot on the Leafs. good calls man. Im sure I could go further but you need 3 sources to clarify an opinion.
Gardiner at 7M is how teams get into cap hell, not avoid it.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Gardiner at 7M is how teams get into cap hell, not avoid it.

the caps like 80m and hes a top 2 dman on most teams. WHat should he get? 3.5mil to appease you? You need to wake up to expectations and stop living in this fantasy world where 1 bad game defines Jakes career. But also thank god you dont run the Leafs or we'd be in for a world of hurt with your nonsense opinion(s)

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
the caps like 80m and hes a top 2 dman on most teams. WHat should he get? 3.5mil to appease you? You need to wake up to expectations and stop living in this fantasy world where 1 bad game defines Jakes career. But also thank god you dont run the Leafs or we'd be in for a world of hurt with your nonsense opinion(s)
My opinion has nothing to do with Game 7. Where did that come from?

Our left side defense is strong. Rielly at 24 is signed to a cap friendly deal for another 4 deals. Dermott is still on ELC and is ready for more responsibilities and ice time.

Jake is 28 and will be 29 when he starts his next contract. Signing a superfluous 29 year old DMan to a long term $7M AAV contract would be foolish and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Dubas will do it.

If I am wrong I will gladly eat crow on that.

Try to see past your own bias.

Reactions: MattySnipes

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
My opinion has nothing to do with Game 7. Where did that come from?

Our left side defense is strong. Rielly at 24 is signed to a cap friendly deal for another 4 deals. Dermott is still on ELC and is ready for more responsibilities and ice time.

Jake is 28 and will be 29 when he starts his next contract. Signing a superfluous 29 year old DMan to a long term $7M AAV contract would be foolish and I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Dubas will do it.

If I am wrong I will gladly eat crow on that.

Try to see past your own bias.
This is why trading Gardiner this off-season is so imperative to me.

With our pending UFAs last season, we didn't have the pieces in place within the organization to properly fill the holes that trading them would create.
With Gardiner, it's a different story: Not only would trading him not create a hole - we still have Rielly, Hainsey, Dermott, Rosen, Borgman and Marincin down the left side right now - but it has the potential to fill one as well (assuming your target is a RHD).

As good as Jake is, re-signing him to the kind of contract he deserves doesn't seem to be the wisest decision for the Leafs' long-term cap structure, and allowing him to walk, when his role should be, at worst, adequately filled with what we already have in-house, would be a bummer.

If I'm Dubas, I'm doing everything in my power (after signing Willy) to turn Gardiner into a Jared Spurgeon-type defenseman.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
i get that theres an age bias on HFBoards but what in Jakes games suggest he will get worse in his early 30s? Nothing he does is taxing on his body.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
i get that theres an age bias on HFBoards but what in Jakes games suggest he will get worse in his early 30s? Nothing he does is taxing on his body.
I don't believe anyone was necessarily saying that he was about to start declining or anything - Simply that we currently have younger, cost-controlled players with potential in the same position as Gardiner, and that Gardiner - a player in his prime right now, and looking for a new contract - will be expensive and, if not redundant, at least adequately replaceable.
Given Gardiner's contract status and value, our short- and long-term cap structure, and that our roster's greatest weakness is an unbalanced blueline, re-signing him just doesn't seem to be the smartest move.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I don't believe anyone was necessarily saying that he was about to start declining or anything - Simply that we currently have younger, cost-controlled players with potential in the same position as Gardiner, and that Gardiner - a player in his prime right now, and looking for a new contract - will be expensive and, if not redundant, at least adequately replaceable.
Given Gardiner's contract status and value, our short- and long-term cap structure, and that our roster's greatest weakness is an unbalanced blueline, re-signing him just doesn't seem to be the smartest move.

if we had young players (other than Lilly potentially) on Gardiners level, we wouldn't be complaining as a fan base about a need for defense. Gardiners a 2D, they dont exactly grow on trees. He was 12th (or 16th i dont have the page infront of me) for Dmen in points. You dont just replace that. Its not like every dmen is gonna get 50+ pts and suppress shots.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
if we had young players (other than Lilly potentially) on Gardiners level, we wouldn't be complaining as a fan base about a need for defense. Gardiners a 2D, they dont exactly grow on trees. He was 12th (or 16th i dont have the page infront of me) for Dmen in points. You dont just replace that. Its not like every dmen is gonna get 50+ pts and suppress shots.
You don't seem to be paying attention - In addition to no one ever saying Gardiner would be declining because he was almost 30, no one said Gardiner and his production would be easy to replace.
If we had a Gardiner-level D on our right side instead of our left, I don't believe we would be complaining as much as a fanbase about a need for defense, because it would balance out what we already have.
On top of Gardiner's next contract being likely higher than what we should be looking to put on our 2nd pair (both in 2019/20 and long-term), moving his talent to our right side has an affect on our blueline from the top pair down - For starters, you get a partner for Rielly; Hainsey then gets dropped from the top pair, which eases his 5v5 time (allowing him to stay fresher throughout the year), and puts him on his strong side; playing with Hainsey/Dermott instead of Gardiner, while a downgrade as far as talent goes, might be better for Zaitsev's skillset, who is more of an offensive-minded defenseman than was utilized last year.

Essentially, this:
Rielly - Spurgeon
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Is better (short- and long-term) than this:
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Once again, I must stress - None of this has anything to do with Gardiner's current or future abilities. This has simply been determined by looking at our cap structure, Gardiner's potential salary expectations moving forward, and our current team strengths and weaknesses.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not worth it's own thread, but according to the Leafs management page, Jim Paliafito was "promoted" to Sr. Director of Player Evaluation. Likely just a title, but it could be an indication that he's getting a larger piece of the Hunter pie than he got before. It seems like Dubas is comfortable replacing Hunter by splitting his duties between Lilley, Clark, Paliafito and Morrison.

Looks like Dubas has filled all of the holes in the front office (and then some) besides some amateur scouts (and a Head Scout to replace Lilley; my guess is it'll be Vesey getting a promotion since he's pretty reputable in the Boston/North Eastern regions). That may be figured out in the next few weeks though, especially after he knows whether some more of his existing scouts are on the way out or not.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

1 bad game???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad