Value of: Rick Nash

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
As an Oiler fan, I'd love to have Nash. But with McDavids due for a big pay raise and Lucic signing a long term deal he isn't a fit. A team that could probably use him would be to the south in Calgary IMO.

He only has two years left on his contract.

But the Rangers have no reason to trade him right now. With his 12 team NTC and his $7.8m cap hit his possible destinations are severely limited. Pair that with the fact that the Rangers still need to ice a competitive product this season and there are literally scraps left to spend the Nash cap space on so dealing him today at a discounted price makes absolutely no sense.

Letting him play out the year and dealing him to a contender at the deadline would be a much better plan. Then with the majority of his salary paid for the year and more teams confident the can fit him in his trade value would be significantly increased.

Regardless, my Yakupov for Nash trade offer is still on the table though.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
He only has two years left on his contract.

But the Rangers have no reason to trade him right now. With his 12 team NTC and his $7.8m cap hit his possible destinations are severely limited. Pair that with the fact that the Rangers still need to ice a competitive product this season and there are literally scraps left to spend the Nash cap space on so dealing him today at a discounted price makes absolutely no sense.

Letting him play out the year and dealing him to a contender at the deadline would be a much better plan. Then with the majority of his salary paid for the year and more teams confident the can fit him in his trade value would be significantly increased.

Regardless, my Yakupov for Nash trade offer is still on the table though.

Add Khaira and some picks.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I'd take him on Buffalo for some picks/prospects. Would mostly be cap relief for NYR, as it wouldn't be a first rounder or top prospect from Buffalo.

Girgensons - ROR - Okposo
Nash - Eichel - Reinhart
Kane - Larsson - Ennis

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I'd take him on Buffalo for some picks/prospects. Would mostly be cap relief for NYR, as it wouldn't be a first rounder or top prospect from Buffalo.

Girgensons - ROR - Okposo
Nash - Eichel - Reinhart
Kane - Larsson - Ennis

Wonder where you get that cap space after signing Risto, Girgs and Foligno.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I wouldn't use HF as a barometer of value.

Most of the posters here are full of **** or just love to read their own writing.

Couldn't agree with you more, pld. I post this time and time again because posters on here more often than not are wrong about trades and the suspected returns.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Teams have already offered 1st + Prospects in other threads so yeah, good one mate.

Also why are we having ANOTHER Nash thread ? Just bump one of the 20 we've had since the draft.

Yep cause we all know if some random fan offers a 1st and high prospect then that's his value. :shakehead. You seem to think fans make deals. :laugh: no GM would give a 1st and prospect with the NYR retaining some of the huge cap hit.

NateB19

Feb 25, 2016
Or he plays out his contract until age 34 putting up decent numbers and resigns an Eric Staal type deal....

Well given the question he asked: "What are the chances he's exposed?" I think it's more likely that he's traded before given up for nothing. Reading comprehension buddy, not hard.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
:laugh: Fax it to Chia.

Seriously. If we made that deal I'd put money on us making the playoffs this season despite the suspect defense.

Your not making the playoff with that current defense. Your GM needs another trade to bring in another top 4 guy. He has the pieces to do this now let's see if he has the balls.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The problem is rangers fans thinks he still has real trade value....he doesn't.

You aren't acquiring 1st or firmer 1sr for him.

His cap hit is too high fora out all teams.

The problem is... insane statements like these. If you don't know what you are talking about, you don't need to always have an opinion. Nash is one of the top defensive forwards in the league, he's huge, and he scores like a first liner (top-90 forwards overall and per game) even in his bad years. Considering that you don't need to give him a 7-year contract like you would to a first line UFA, he has a great contract. If you sign a UFA first liner, you'll pay just as much, but with 5 extra years that will come on the tail end of the guy's career.

Not only will the Rangers get a first rounder for him, they will REFUSE to trade him for just a first liner, I guarantee you that. They will get much more.

Look at what the Rangers got for Gaborik who was making almost exactly the same (when the cap was lower) and had very similar career stats, BUT had massive injury problems, was in the middle of a worse year than Nash just had, was seen as soft which Nash never is, and was never anywhere close to as good defensively as Nash. The Rangers got a very good top-6 25-year-old center (Brassard), a 4th liner for whom they got a 3rd rounder (Dorsett) and a young top-6 defenseman (Moore). Brassard at the age of 25 and a cheap $3M contract alone is worth far more than a first rounder, not to mention that both Dorsett and Moore had value.

Considering that Gaborik:

1. Earned a greater percentage of the cap than Nash;
2. Had a worse year and a similar offensive career;
3. Was much worse defensively;
4. Not as physical;
5. MUCH more injured;

Nash should bring in more than what Gaborik brought back. The idea that Nash has little to no value is nuts.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your not making the playoff with that current defense. Your GM needs another trade to bring in another top 4 guy. He has the pieces to do this now let's see if he has the balls.

We're not going to continue this debate because it's off-topic but it isn't a prerequisite for every competitive NHL team to have a complete top six unit of surefire NHL defensemen. And trading more offense out of Edmonton for 'another top 4 guy' would hurt the Oilers more than help after already moving Hall this summer.

The Oilers are essentially walking in to next season with two top 4 guys they didn't have last season. One being Larsson and the other being Oscar Klefbom. And with Brandon Davidson playing the way he did last season the Oilers have another option to play 20 minutes a night. Sometimes teams just need the guys they already have to step up as well and guys like Fayne, Reinhart and Nurse all fall into that category.

Adding Rick Nash would give the Oilers a vet who could provide a solid two-way presence and play an integral veteran role.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There's also a time when Rangers fans chanted "we don't want you" when Nash visited MSG. Things change.

Yeah, Ranger fans did that to Zubov and he went on to become the leading Russian defenseman in the NHL in career points and a 4-time All Star after Ranger fans drove him away with constant booing. Nedved was despised in New York on his first tour. Gartner was disliked too. That fans sour on players sometimes doesn't prove they are bad, and in this case, Ranger fans didn't even sour on Nash, the idea is that the team is at the very beginning of a rebuilding process that will take 5-10 years, so keeping a 31-year-old makes no sense. It's the same reason most of us want to trade Lundqvist, Klein, even 29-year-old Zuccarello and Brassard.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
1st and a decent prospect if the rangers retain half. if they dont retain....cap dump + 2nd?

Lunacy, just pure lunacy. If Nash is making $3.9 (50% retained), he's literally the best value in the league of any veteran, bar none. Your "offer" is insane unless by a first rounder, you mean a top-5 pick and the "decent" prospect is a 2015 first rounder who just had a very good last season. Considering that scrub second liners get $6 for 7 years, a top-end first liner like Nash at $3.9 has insane high value, not a #20 plus a guy drafted in the third round.

Nash unretained still has more value than Gaborik when the Rangers traded him for Brassard, Dorsett and Moore.

A little over one year of Yandle at almost $3 cap hit cost the Rangers their best prospect since McDonagh (Duclair), a first rounder, a second rounder and a top-6 defenseman. Nash is easily more valuable than Yandle at a similar salary.

Honest question:

% chance he's exposed next June?

Zero unless he gets permanently injured in a car accident or gets busted for drug dealing.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I would think Nashville would be interested. We could fit the who cap hit as long as we sent back a little bit of salary (so that there is signing room for Jarnkrok). Really not sure what we would need to send New Yorks way to get Nash at say 2 mil retained. We would need to send atleast one of our current wingers like arvidsson then there are picks/prospects not named fabbro.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Eric Staal got two seconds and a good prospect.
Sekera got a first and a prospect.
Coburn got a first, a third and a young defenseman.
Frederik Anderson got a first rounder and a second.
Reinhart got a mid-first and a very early second. He then spent half the year in the minors.

Not one of them has anything closely resembling the value of Nash even unretained. The idea on this forum is that Nash at half price is worth less than any of these players is nuts, just absolutely nuts. A huge power forward who plays elite defense is worth more than a first rounder even if he scores zero points, much less if he's consistently among the top NHL scorers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'd prefer McDavid with his ELC. There are other ELCs with better value too.

I am excluding young guys whose salaries are controlled. Among the vets who got or could've gotten UFA contracts, not one would have the value of Nash at $3.9.

Last edited:

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Yep cause we all know if some random fan offers a 1st and high prospect then that's his value. :shakehead. You seem to think fans make deals. :laugh: no GM would give a 1st and prospect with the NYR retaining some of the huge cap hit.

Wait wait wait, so multiple fans from different teams offering a 1st + a prospect is wrong but others saying "he's a cap hit, he's declining, he has negative value" without evidence to suggest thats the case is correct ?

Right'o then, I've learnt my lesson. :handclap:

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Reinhart got a mid-first and a very early second. He then spent half the year in the minors.

Not one of them has anything closely resembling the value of Nash even unretained. The idea on this forum is that Nash at half price is worth less than any of these players is nuts, just absolutely nuts. A huge power forward who plays elite defense is worth more than a first rounder even if he scores zero points, much less if he's consistently among the top NHL scorers.

Please stop thinking rationally and using evidence to support your points, that isn't welcome here.

:help:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

:handclap

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I am excluding young guys whose salaries are controlled. Among the vets who got or could've gotten UFA contracts, not one would have the value of Nash at $3.9.

Even without young players there are some nice contracts around the league like JVR, Simmonds or Pacioretty where i wouldn't bet Nash will produce better next season.
And then you have always some guys on cheap contracts with career years.
There is no guarantee Nash at 3.9 would be the best value.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

None of the players you mentioned carried a $7.8m cap hit.

And none of these players carried a NTC that likely consists of mostly competitive teams that certainly can't fit a $7.8m cap hit into their salary structure.

I'm on both sides of the argument here because NY eating half of his salary out tomorrow to get better value doesn't make any sense--they're still a competitive hockey team. Common sense says he stays a Ranger. But when talking trade value, cap space is a player too and it's a very important one in this instance.

You're selling a sports car during a recession.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Personally I think he would be an excellent fit for Boston, depending on whether they can sign Vessey or not. I think Nash ($1M retained) for Spooner would be a good trade for both teams.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Even without young players there are some nice contracts around the league like JVR, Simmonds or Pacioretty where i wouldn't bet Nash will produce better next season.
And then you have always some guys on cheap contracts with career years.
There is no guarantee Nash at 3.9 would be the best value.

I would take Nash 10 times out of 10 over Patches or JVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad