Value of: Rick Nash

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I am so lost in his actual value at this point. Is it that Jeff is making his value seem much higher than it actual is or is the league just not thinking he is worth much?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I am so lost in his actual value at this point. Is it that Jeff is making his value seem much higher than it actual is or is the league just not thinking he is worth much?

It's not like JG has come out and said anything regarding a Nash trade or his value.

The thing is not many contenders can afford to add him under their cap without us retaining at least $2 million. No contender is going to give up anything worthwhile because he'll be old/gone by the time their ready to compete.

So we're likely stuck with him. Management apparently still thinks this team can be a contender, so you keep Nash because he helps us do that. More so than the picks, prospects or lesser pieces we'd get in return.

An ideal trade would be Nash to Nash for Arvidsson, Fiala/Kamenev/Doughtery and a 1st or a 2nd depending on how much we retain.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The problem is rangers fans thinks he still has real trade value....he doesn't.

You aren't acquiring 1st or firmer 1sr for him.

His cap hit is too high fora out all teams.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City

I'll illustrate the problem

There's one school of thought in which Rick Nash is a top10 even strength player in the NHL.

There's another where Rick Nash is an overpaid washed up has been who isn't worth a dime and can't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of hundreds.

One of these is hyperbole. One isn't.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
It isn't worth it to deal him. His value is at its lowest - unless they get a good prospect / young NHLer + 1st... What's the point in dealing him in the first place? Cap space? What do they need cap space now for there's no Stamkos to pursue

Might as well keep him unless the package is right otherwise there's no point

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'll illustrate the problem

There's one school of thought in which Rick Nash is a top10 even strength player in the NHL.

There's another where Rick Nash is an overpaid washed up has been who isn't worth a dime and can't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of hundreds.

One of these is hyperbole. One isn't.
There's also a time when Rangers fans chanted "we don't want you" when Nash visited MSG. Things change.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Retain on him so his cap is 5-6 mill and he has a good amount of value. If he stays healthy he is one of the most dominating twoway wingers in the game. When he isnt healthy, he is still a beast defensivly but his scoring drops. Seems like whenever he gets injured he cant get it in the net regularly for a good amount of time. Needs time after injury to get his scoring touch back, which is normal, but a problem when he is paid so much to score alot og goals.
Its not like he is very injury prone either. Concussion wasnt his fault and the injury he suffered in january he just lost his balanced and went heavily into the boards. Very unlucky on some of his injuries.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There's also a time when Rangers fans chanted "we don't want you" when Nash visited MSG. Things change.

That is a horrible example.

That is also when Howson was demanding Kreider, Stepan or Miller in any trade. The Rangers rightfully passed and got Columbus' price down in the offseason.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
1st and a decent prospect if the rangers retain half. if they dont retain....cap dump + 2nd?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just want to do a trade with Nashville, just so we can have a fun time with the name. :laugh:

No but in all seriousness, Nashville. What is his value to you guys, for some value of salary retention, from 0% to 50%? I think Nashville needs a solid LW in their top-6, and Nash can provide an upgrade.

Any Smashville fans want to chime in?

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK

Teams have already offered 1st + Prospects in other threads so yeah, good one mate.

Also why are we having ANOTHER Nash thread ? Just bump one of the 20 we've had since the draft.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
It isn't worth it to deal him. His value is at its lowest - unless they get a good prospect / young NHLer + 1st... What's the point in dealing him in the first place? Cap space? What do they need cap space now for there's no Stamkos to pursue

Might as well keep him unless the package is right otherwise there's no point

Good points. It's not that he's not a good scorer, he is he was just injured last year. Nash's is at a .76 PPG pace in his last 24 playoff games (last two playoffs combined), while playing Selke level defense.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Good points. It's not that he's not a good scorer, he is he was just injured last year. Nash's is at a .76 PPG pace in his last 24 playoff games (last two playoffs combined), while playing Selke level defense.

Selke level defense? So you're comparing him to Kopitar, Bergeron, etc.

I wouldn't say Selke level, but he is very strong defensively, especially on the PK.

For Nash, I'd expect a good young player (Arvidsson), an almost ready NHL prospect (Kamenev), and a 1st or a 2nd depending on how much we retain.

Too much, too little?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
As an Oiler fan, I'd love to have Nash. But with McDavids due for a big pay raise and Lucic signing a long term deal he isn't a fit. A team that could probably use him would be to the south in Calgary IMO.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
X
Teams have already offered 1st + Prospects in other threads so yeah, good one mate.

Also why are we having ANOTHER Nash thread ? Just bump one of the 20 we've had since the draft.

Many overvalue a player on past production forgetting how old he is and how players can fall off a cliff in their early 30s.

They want to give up a 1st...have at it...they will regret it.

They way for the Rangers to get the best return.......

He plays and pretty vets he can perform. After the mid point of the season they trade him retaining the max they can ( percent he is to make the rest of the season) thus making him free to acquiring team the rest of this year and cost them $4.5M or more next year.

With his production dropping off there are too many questions on him tight now.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Nash's value is significantly higher to the NYR than any other team right now, meaning a sell low proposition which the NYR should not do. But you know these GMs with their man crushes.......

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Best bet at this point is to wait until the deadline or close to it.

It's more likely that he increases his value than decrease.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I wouldn't use HF as a barometer of value.

Most of the posters here are full of **** or just love to read their own writing.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
X

Many overvalue a player on past production forgetting how old he is and how players can fall off a cliff in their early 30s.

They want to give up a 1st...have at it...they will regret it.

They way for the Rangers to get the best return.......

He plays and pretty vets he can perform. After the mid point of the season they trade him retaining the max they can ( percent he is to make the rest of the season) thus making him free to acquiring team the rest of this year and cost them $4.5M or more next year.

With his production dropping off there are too many questions on him tight now.

His production isn't dropping off, he is 1 year removed from his best goalscoring season of his entire career. Last year he struggled with nagging injuries causing his lowest TOI of his career, that combined with an overall drop in team play led to his drop in points.

Even considering last year Nash is still 7th in goals/60 in the entire league since he joined the rangers and contributes well on special teams, has solid advanced stats and is a very good defensive player.

I'm 99% certain I've already showed you all of this evidence to indicate that Nash has great value still, but I'm guessing you're going to ignore the facts and just continue with your nonsensical ramblings.

IMO the Rangers should be looking to use the Kesler trade as a blueprint if we choose to trade Nash, there isn't exactly a huge need or desire to trade our best forward especially post free agency.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad