Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
He looks great. Maybe going through last year's long playoff run helped him, along with extra time elapsed since the concussions.

Seems unrealistic to expect him to maintain this level all season. The main thing is to bring this in the playoffs.

I really think the main thing was the concussions. It seemed like he was playing nervous last year--avoiding contact, keeping to the outside. I can't say I blame him--concussions can be absolutely brutal, as we know from Mike Sauer's case. I suppose Nash worked his tail off this summer and felt that he could once again play his PWF game confidently. I think having his confidence back is the real difference maker here.

I'd love for him to keep this up throughout the year, but I suppose he's bound to cool off sometime. As long as he keeps the intensity up, he should be just fine.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Does no one remember Nash looking awesome and like our best player before the concussion last year? He looked like he does now.

Even the lockout year he was arguably our best player too, also after a concussion.

(Knock on wood) We haven't gotten to see an in shape, concussion free Nash yet really, and right now I'm appreciating that we are.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Hoping for 30+ goals, 70+ points by season's end.

He's been infinitely better than he was last season (obviously). And thankfully, for the sake of my sanity, he is no longer turning his back to the net on odd man rushes.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Does no one remember Nash looking awesome and like our best player before the concussion last year? He looked like he does now.

Even the lockout year he was arguably our best player too, also after a concussion.

(Knock on wood) We haven't gotten to see an in shape, concussion free Nash yet really, and right now I'm appreciating that we are.
Wasn't his concussion in like the third game of the season?

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010

I agree completely, concussions have lingering effects and you could see Nash was nowhere near 100%. Timid as could be, afraid of the dirty areas, shying away from all contact, the guy was a shell of himself. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue to be the physical monster that had the NHL creaming itself over a few years ago.

I have defended Nash through the recent struggles, I knew that his days as an impact player weren't over and I am so happy to see him playing great. One of my favorite players of the 00's

Last edited:

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
It's funny how people are acting like this is his first good stretch in a Rangers' sweater. Was anyone even watching him when he first stepped on the ice in the lockout-shortened season in 2013? Spectacular ever time he touched the puck. There was a rise in the Garden every time Nash started to skate up ice. I believe he wound up scoring at a 40 goal pace that year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's funny how people are acting like this is his first good stretch in a Rangers' sweater. Was anyone even watching him when he first stepped on the ice in the lockout-shortened season in 2013? Spectacular ever time he touched the puck. There was a rise in the Garden every time Nash started to skate up ice. I believe he wound up scoring at a 40 goal pace that year.

Yup. It's just nice to see him producing well after his playoff struggles and perimeter play last year. He looks like a different player than last year

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

He looks better this yr (thus far obviously). Much better.

I hope he can sustain it (and that isn't to say that I hope he scores 80 goals, obviously that's unrealistic). I want him to be as engaged and aggressive as he has been.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
He looks so much thinner.

It's very noticeable. He's all over the ice as well. The most noticeable difference there is that he seems to be in the right place at the right time.....a lot.

I've heard talk about the "whispers" that his conditioning was not good last year. Perhaps the hammer dropped behind the scenes and we are seeing the result. Just pure spec on my part though.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
He has a lot more jump to his game. I think the concussions affected not only his physical play but also his conditioning. Can't really train effectively if you're sidelined by PCS. Playing at lower weight was the right decision, as the gain in quickness more than offsets any loss in his bulk or upper body strength.

This year, Nash has 8 hits in 9 games. He had 11 hits all of last regular season (but 45 in the POs). He used to average about 100 in Columbus.

member 116805

Very, very impressed with him so far this season. Not only points but his overall play.
Hopefully he keeps it up for the rest of the regular season and into the POs.

Lots of fun seeing him like this!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It's very noticeable. He's all over the ice as well. The most noticeable difference there is that he seems to be in the right place at the right time.....a lot.

I've heard talk about the "whispers" that his conditioning was not good last year. Perhaps the hammer dropped behind the scenes and we are seeing the result. Just pure spec on my part though.

He's stated that the team told him to lose weight so.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If Nash pots a bunch this year in a second round exit, we could all clear the slate for the finals in 2014.

Besides, SCF berths are a dime a dozen.

So basically you hate Nash no matter what because he singlehandedly lost you the Stanley Cup

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Superstar or fluke: Rick Nash

People keep on saying its a hot start. But after all the issues last season Nash seems to be a different beast. He plays a great two way game and is playing like AO out there offensively.

Is he a legit superstar player now? Do you guys think he'll cool down? Do you think he can do this over a period of time score 50-40?

Its been a while since we had a player of that caliber. Yeah we had Gaborik but Gabby wasn't the best off the puck, just had that game breaking speed and that elite shot. Nash is just a flat out beast.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Gabby was never anything that will be remembered. The last superstar forward we had was Jagr and his monster 123 point season. Nash will cool down (he's on pace for what, 90 goals?) but he's no fluke. He knew he had a lot to prove to people this year after his playoffs and he is doing that.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Gabby was never anything that will be remembered. The last superstar forward we had was Jagr and his monster 123 point season. Nash will cool down (he's on pace for what, 90 goals?) but he's no fluke. He knew he had a lot to prove to people this year after his playoffs and he is doing that.
no offense but no **** he'll score 90 goals. Its funny that we say he'll cool down and score 50 especially in the league today were scoring 30 youll be considered a star.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He's been an absolute beast. he needs to do it in the playoffs to turn me completely around but he's been a different player, a monster and its been a lot of fun watching him play like this.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
How many times this year has Nash come in with the puck, spun around and skated in backwards with it this season?
As far as I know, he has not used that awkward play, which last season was such and incredibly obvious sign that he was not right. I said it last season, and I was correct in that last season Nash was not playing a direct style of hockey, which is where and how he excels.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
How many times this year has Nash come in with the puck, spun around and skated in backwards with it this season?
As far as I know, he has not used that awkward play, which last season was such and incredibly obvious sign that he was not right. I said it last season, and I was correct in that last season Nash was not playing a direct style of hockey, which is where and how he excels.

I think I saw him use it ONE time.... every other time he's either done a drop pass, pass back, or initiates a cycle. By far, his new preferred move is to drive the net head on, similar to Kreider.

On a similar note, though the concussion killed his offense last year, I believe it did actually allow him to round out his defensive game... Because I see so much effort from him AFTER the play--getting back into position, opening up for a pass, back checking on the rush back down the ice, etc.

It's the Rick Nash we saw in 12-13 + AV's coaching style. I'm really glad I'm seeing that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad