Value of: Rick Nash to Winnipeg

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Nash has said he doesn't want to play in a Canadian team. Asking price is 2 2nds or first but I doubt Jets wanna give that up

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Lol, that’s absurd. Nash is not “part of NYR plans” after this season.
And NYR will trade him to whatever team gives them the best offer. It doesn’t have to be am overpay- it will simply be the best offer. Sometimes it’s a good return , sometimes not. And if you set your price too high you won’t end up getting anything at all. Which for the NYR , that doesn’t bother me at all , lol .

You do realize they're in a playoff spot right now, right? Why would they trade Nash? He's part of their plans right now, as they're still a playoff team.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
4 goals in last two games +1 assist. :)
But why Jets just curious?
pls. take AV too our coach.

I haven't followed Nash/Rags much the past few years so my preception of him could be out to lunch but I'd be interested in him as depth scoring (would likely slide into our 3rd line) and help on the PK.

The PK is the part I might be completely wrong on. Know he used to be a decent PKer and defensively responsible but not sure how the last couple years have affected that and any footspeed.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah true, Nash is a very good 2-ways forward and defensive responsible, but he went almost 10 games without scoring a goal, but part of the issue is our coach who shuffle lines way too much - so hard to get any chemistry going.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Would think he'd be great depth for the Jets. Don't think his cost would be too high, but I think Petan and Dano would do it if Winnipeg took on his salary and NYR didn't retain it. Also, it gives Rick Nash has his chance at the cup.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Ehlers
Perreault-Copp-Nash
Hendricks-Lowry-Armia
FYI All Canadian teams are on Rick Nash NMC so not happening.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
A few things I keep seeing here...

1. Nash's playoff woes are severely overstated. Even in the 2014 run, he wasn't scoring but he was creating offense and playing great defense. Yes, we know he's not paid to do that, but a guy like that come playoff time is very useful.

2. The no-trade list from when he signed his contract isn't necessarily the case. If Nash had the chance to go to a Canadian team for 2-3 months and win the cup, you really think a no-trade list that was created what, 8+ years ago is going to stop him now?

3. His contract expires at the end of the year, so for people saying "oh, well his contract sucks", that doesn't even matter going forward.

People simply need to stop grasping at straws to downplay his value. I'm not saying he'll grab 2 young roster players and a 1st rounder or something like that, but people saying he'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick and garbage like that have got another thing coming and that's even if Gorton makes the right decision to trade him away and sell assets at the deadline. If they're not in that mentality, it's going to take a lot better of an offer than some of the garbage that's been thrown around in all of the threads involving Nash on here.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nash would pay less in Winnipeg than New York.
You misunderstand. It’s not NY vs Winnipeg

Athletes for Canadian teams in the major sports leagues in North America have to pay taxes to both USA and Canada.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Doesn't help the waiving issue, but would a 2nd + Dano/Petan (your choice) be more amenable?

I like Petan, although he'd likely just be occupying a gap that will eventually be filled by Lias/Chytil. The value is likely fine but I think we'd be better shooting for the highest pick possible to try and hit on an elite level player.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
As a Jets fan, I'd be interested in Nash because of his experience and two-way play (and size). He's exactly what we need to round out our top 9, in my opinion. The secondary scoring that he adds would be the cherry on top.

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Laine
Ehlers - Roslovic - Nash
Copp - Lowry - Armia

Considering that the Lowry line would be very capable of handling tough match-ups, I feel like that would be a tough lineup to counter.

Admittedly I'm biased a bit because I watched Columbus a lot when the Jets were gone so I got to watch Nash try to carry a team by himself for years. Always been a fan of his.

Even having said all that though, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up what it would take. The Jets will always need to primarily be a draft-and-develop team to find success so they have to be VERY selective in the years in which they mortgage pieces from the future to win now. I'm thinking next year might be the year they start going for it.

Edit: I probably would do the 2nd + Dano/Petan but that would be my max.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I like Petan, although he'd likely just be occupying a gap that will eventually be filled by Lias/Chytil. The value is likely fine but I think we'd be better shooting for the highest pick possible to try and hit on an elite level player.

Yeah that's fair and probably the best way to go. For us giving a 1st for a rental probably isn't in the cards so maybe not the best partners.

I like Petan too but he's in the same boat with us too, he's not knocking anyone out of our top 9 yet is almost being wasted in the AHL (PPG this year)

Reactions: Doriva

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Would think he'd be great depth for the Jets. Don't think his cost would be too high, but I think Petan and Dano would do it if Winnipeg took on his salary and NYR didn't retain it. Also, it gives Rick Nash has his chance at the cup.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Ehlers
Perreault-Copp-Nash
Hendricks-Lowry-Armia

No to petan and no to dano

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You misunderstand. It’s not NY vs Winnipeg

Athletes for Canadian teams in the major sports leagues in North America have to pay taxes to both USA and Canada.
You said he would have to pay double the taxes. That's not true at all. He would pay less in Winnipeg and pay less in cost of living.

To help you understand, hockey players pay taxes for each game they play to the state/province they play the game in.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Nash isn’t waiving for a Canadian team. Although I wish he would.

Despite a lot of common misconceptions with Nash, he’d bolster any contenders lineup tremendously. He’s still a damn good hockey player despite the fact that he doesn’t score as much as he used to.

He literally does everything very well, except for Fight, Score, and take face offs.

If your team wants to acquire a 30+ goal scorer, then it’s not Nash. If your team wants a solid two-way versatile winger who can score 20+, including kill Penalties, then Nash is your guy.

Unless your a Canadian team, cause he doesn’t want to go there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad