Rick Nash Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bobby Ryan is another player who never convinced me of his passion, at any level. I get the same feeling from Jeff Carter.

Again, none of this meant as a personal attack or a psychological evaluation, merely an observation related to the game of hockey.

Perry is another guy who I failed to mention as a guy who hates to lose. He's a pain in the ass to play against, but he wants to win badly. You can't really teach that.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Imagine if we had Dubinsky and Callahan now instead of Nash and MSL...this team could actually be winning this series.

Dubinsky has been great in the playoffs and Callahan has been useful as well.

Nash and MSL are a waste of money right now...as usual we go after the "star" players but dont consider their age(MSL) or playoff success(Nash).

We'd be a worse team. Dubi is ok in the playoffs. He isn't great. Callahan is the definition of useless in the playoffs.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Now that Stamkos is scoring are there any other examples of star forwards not producing that the Nash defenders can use? Or is it just Nash that's left in that category now?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Now that Stamkos is scoring are there any other examples of star forwards not producing that the Nash defenders can use? Or is it just Nash that's left in that category now?

Hossa 1g in 10 GP. PPG/GPG takes a massive hit in the playoffs. Still lauded as a great player for his 2-way play but Nash isn't. It's funny.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Hossa 1g in 10 GP. PPG/GPG takes a massive hit in the playoffs. Still lauded as a great player for his 2-way play but Nash isn't. It's funny.

In the first cup run fro the Hawks Hossa was a huge factor ;)

What I love the most of super star Nash is his body language, you can't tell the difference when he scores or when he just lost the game, same Clint Eastwood face all the time. Guy has 0 passion to show, to me he looks like an office guy just here for work and I do not give a ****.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

What I love the most of super star Nash is his body language, you can't tell the difference when he scores or when he just lost the game, same Clint Eastwood face all the time. Guy has 0 passion to show, to me he looks like an office guy just here for work and I do not give a ****.

He had the same amount of goals in that run as Nash had last year.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
But he was a factor, Nash isn't, not last year not this year. PK and defense that's it with Nash. Nash is a non factor.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
But he was a factor, Nash isn't, not last year not this year. PK and defense that's it with Nash. Nash is a non factor.

so pking and defense aren't factors?

last year i'll give you. this year, he's been our best forward in the playoffs, in every aspect outside of scoring goals. i italicize goals because the team is scoring far more when Nash is on the ice as opposed to when he's not. not to say he's been amazing. he hasn't. he's been very good though, and absolutely a "factor".

he does need to start scoring some goals, but people are going overboard in their criticizing of him. they're focusing entirely on a single aspect of a large picture, and trying to paint Nash as some sort of liability, whereas it's the opposite. do some people even realize that a player can be an offensive factor even if he doesn't end up putting the puck in the net?

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
so pking and defense aren't factors?

last year i'll give you. this year, he's been our best forward in the playoffs, in every aspect outside of scoring goals. i italicize goals because the team is scoring far more when Nash is on the ice as opposed to when he's not. not to say he's been amazing. he hasn't. he's been very good though, and absolutely a "factor".

he does need to start scoring some goals, but people are going overboard in their criticizing of him. they're focusing entirely on a single aspect of a large picture, and trying to paint Nash as some sort of liability, whereas it's the opposite. do some people even realize that a player can be an offensive factor even if he doesn't end up putting the puck in the net?

Nash has been one of our better forwards, but I don't agree with "he's very good" or even "excellent" and just not scoring goals. Take last game for example: he started well with a great set up for MSL, but after the 1st period he was hardly noticeable once again. What was so great that he did?

I don't agree that he's been our best forward in every aspect but scoring goals either. A few good defensive plays don't make him our best defensive forward yet, and physically he's been invisible. Kreider, while making too many dumb plays, at least is physical and so is Glass (yes Glass, even if he can't do anything else). Nash you hardly notice when he doesn't have the puck. Nash was on the ice for the most goals, but that doesn't mean that he's been generating all those goals. It's funny that suddenly +/- is becoming the most important stat to judge a player...

Nash has been one of our better forwards, but overall he still hasn't been good enough. He is supposed to be our go to guy on offensd when no one else can come through. But he isn't. Being a solid overall player isn't enough.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Here's the thing,

When you are as talented as Nash is,
And you're paid money to be "the man" on offense,
And you don't score for two playoffs in a row,
During your team's window to win a championship,
Which is limited and hard to come by,
And you're playing with an elite goalie who really only needs two goals to win,
And you can't even consistently provide one of those goals,
And other teams stars have lead their teams to championships,
With teams comparable or even less talented that yours,
And you've essentially gotten your wish to play for this team,
And it happens to be in a fish bowl,
And it happens to be hungry for a cup,
And you seem unable to light a fire under your ass,
Which is one of the things that plagued you even before you arrived in said fish bowl,
You're going to get grief.

You're going to get grief, sometimes unfairly, the same way others in your position would.
Grief similar to -

A star cleanup hitter who provides adequate defense but doesn't hit for power or average in the playoffs,
A star quarterback who gets his team into field goal range but doesn't throw touchdowns in the playoffs,
A star center who grabs several rebounds, but can't make field goals in the playoffs.

It's not easy and it's not completely fair, but that's life and that's the expectation that goes with being a a teams star offensive player.

That's what comes with being a high paid player.

That's what comes with being a first overall pick.

That's what comes from playing in a city that wants excellence and knows the difference between legends and pretenders.

It's rabid and it's vicious and it's not for everybody. But it has been done before.

There are some markets that can smell the fear in athletes, and Nash is playing in one of them. This is his chance to prove that Columbus was the problem not him. Frankly, the clock is ticking. And the clock doesn't stop ticking because of a good shift, or a good game, or even a good series. It stops ticking when you use your elite talent to elevate your team and you put them on your back and you say "we are winning this thing, the WHOLE thing."

It's why your paid elite money. It's why you have elite talent. You got to own it. Someone's going to own it, why not you?

Because nobody gives a crap if you did an awesome poke check. Nobody gives a crap if you're playing solid defense as a forward. You have to produce, you have to score if you are a scorer - if you are paid to be THE scorer. For the same reason why Lundqvist is paid to stop pucks. Nobody cares if he handles the puck like Crosby. Nobody cares if he did a really good job of passing the puck - he's paid to stop pucks.

You know what often separates the winners from the losers? Lowered expectations and a boat load of excuses. Winners find a way - the scratch, they claw, they leave everything on the ice. Can we honestly say Nash does that? Can we honestly say he plays like his season is on the line? Can you honestly say there is a moment during a game where you say to yourself "Nash won't stand for this" or "Nash has got this"? You know why? Because deep down even his biggest supporters are wondering if he's got that extra something special inside.

The time is now for Nash, in 2015. If not now, than when?

I don't hate Nash. I want nothing more than to see him own the next 10 games the Rangers need to win a cup. I want nothing more than to see drag a guy with him as he swoops in on a goalie he has the talent to make look like an amateur. I'd love to see body language or a look I'm his eyes that lets the whole world know he's gonna kick ass. I'd love to see some sense of urgency from a man who sees the Stanley Cup as the ultimate goal of his profession.

But you can't lower the expectations for him. Not in May. Not if you really expect to win. If we need to point to penalty killing and defense work from Rick Nash, we've already lowered the bar far enough.

10 games, Rick Nash. You need to play the best hockey of your life for 10 games.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
i could not agree more. Rick Nash the passenger needs to become Rick Nash the driver. And if not, someone else needs to take the wheel.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
That sizes up the Nash future outlook in NYC pretty well Edge . If he can't bring it....move his butt elsewhere and use the coin for other needs . You are either part of the solution or part of the problem....:)

Wolfy*

Nash reported missing...

11150740_10206603230778734_5911780465397736677_n.jpg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Nash is producing. That's what so hilarious about all this right now. He's tied for the team lead in points. 6 points is the 9th highest total of anyone in the playoffs.

I pointed this out in the PGT from the other night. No one complains about Brassard. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. Yet, he was our 40-assist man during the regular season, just like Nash was our 40-goal man. Brassard has 1 assist in the playoffs. He's supposed to be a playmaker. Where are all the set ups?

Expectations and perception are funny. Had Nash scored some more goals last season, everyone would be happy with his 6 points this year, even if it were the same line with only 1 goal.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Nash is producing. That's what so hilarious about all this right now. He's tied for the team lead in points. 6 points is the 9th highest total of anyone in the playoffs.

I pointed this out in the PGT from the other night. No one complains about Brassard. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. Yet, he was our 40-assist man during the regular season, just like Nash was our 40-goal man. Brassard has 1 assist in the playoffs. He's supposed to be a playmaker. Where are all the set ups?

Expectations and perception are funny. Had Nash scored some more goals last season, everyone would be happy with his 6 points this year, even if it were the same line with only 1 goal.

Nash is too busy doing Brassard's job he doesn't have time to also being pulling goals out of his ass. Brassard has given him nothing at all to work with. MSL blew at least one gift wrapped goal from Nash.

If we are to crucify Nash for not scoring goals then we also need to crucify Brassard for not finding the assists.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey

Brassard is to busy scoring goals, in place of nash, to worry about assists.

Bottom line with Nash is that we aren't going to win a cup if he scores 1 goal every playoff run. He can throw hits, PK, all we wants but there is no way this team can go to the promise land without someone on the offensive side putting this team on his back and scoring goals consistently. Nash, based on his talent and regular season performance should be that guy, but he has not been.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Nash is too busy doing Brassard's job he doesn't have time to also being pulling goals out of his ass. Brassard has given him nothing at all to work with. MSL blew at least one gift wrapped goal from Nash.

If we are to crucify Nash for not scoring goals then we also need to crucify Brassard for not finding the assists.

Nash is a better player than Brassard! And he's paid that way. It's bizarre, the Nash-apologists actually seem to apologize for the guy because they think he's actually a lot worse than he really is. It's the Nash-critics that think that Nash is actually a great goal-scorer.

Edit: It's also small sample size for Brass on assists. He had 16 in 35 before this run. It's not small sample size on Nash for goal-scoring. 4 in 37 with the Rangers before this run.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Fine with me. Let's do that in the brassard thread.

This narrative of trashing other players in defense of Rick Nash not scoring playoff goals is pretty absurd. There's no need to create a circular firing squad here. The whole team stinks offensively and when that happens your supposed goal scoring X factor is going to take the brunt of the heat.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

It's Brassard's job to set up linemates and he only has assisted once in these playoffs!

See how ridiculous that sounds?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

He was a mere passenger in the Hawks first cup run. Sharp, Toews, Kane, Bolland and Byfuglien all outproduced/outplayed him that run.

Rick needs linemates that can set him up, not a washed up MSL or Brassard who is useless without MZA on his line...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Brassard is to busy scoring goals, in place of nash, to worry about assists.

Bottom line with Nash is that we aren't going to win a cup if he scores 1 goal every playoff run. He can throw hits, PK, all we wants but there is no way this team can go to the promise land without someone on the offensive side putting this team on his back and scoring goals consistently. Nash, based on his talent and regular season performance should be that guy, but he has not been.

And the Rangers won't win a cup if their best regular season playmaker isn't making plays and has only 1 assist during a playoff run.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yes the new Nash excuse now is that it's brassards fault he hasn't scored goals. Lol. I'm sure there are 8 million other reasons why he can't score one damn important goal.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

That's so silly. Just because the guy can control his emotions it means he has no passion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad