Classic with Video Rick DiPietro vs. Brent Johnson Feb 2, 2011

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Matt Cooke with an "accidentally on purpose" run at the goalie. And that was a seriously disappointing fight. :laugh:

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
After this fight, Dipietro had to wear the same mask Osgood wore during his time with the Islanders.

Dipietro-helmet-and-cage-2.jpg

osgood.jpg

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
This fight so perfectly sums up the career of DiPietro:
- Initiates contact with Cooke, "look at me, I'm awesome!"
- Trash talks Johnson. "See, told you I'm gonna be great."
- Stuggles to get gloves off "Ok there may be some setbacks, but still I'm the Franchise."
- Grabs Johnson. "Ok, Ok I got this still."
- It's over! "Oh crap, what have I done with my life?"

May be my favorite NHL "fight" ever.

Last edited:

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
one of the most insane games i've ever seen personally

i was busy at school during that time and didn't get to sit through many full games but just happened to have the evening to myself for that one, won't forget it any time soon

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
What a series of dumb decisions there. "OK I'm going to initiate contact with Cooke because he's in my head. OK cool, got that done. Looks like Johnson is pissed. I better go fight him. OK got my hands free. Got my mask off. Oh **** that hurt!"

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I hate having to defend DiPietro, but this "fight" always pissed me off. Johnson is a cheap piece of garbage if you look closely. He's not even punching with his fist, he's hacking with his forarm (and pad). That's why Ricks face broke.

The jagoff tried pulling the same cheap garbage against Michael Haley in the brawl game of 2011.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
I hate having to defend DiPietro, but this "fight" always pissed me off. Johnson is a cheap piece of garbage if you look closely. He's not even punching with his fist, he's hacking with his forarm (and pad). That's why Ricks face broke.

The jagoff tried pulling the same cheap garbage against Michael Haley in the brawl game of 2011.

It was called out on this forum when it happened. It was a swinging forearm/eblow. It was not a punch, and thats why DiPietro dropped so quickly.

The reverse angle shows it clearly.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It was called out on this forum when it happened. It was a swinging forearm/eblow. It was not a punch, and thats why DiPietro dropped so quickly.

The reverse angle shows it clearly.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice. Sheldon Souray pulled the same garbage in Edmonton.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice. Sheldon Souray pulled the same garbage in Edmonton.

It started to make a showing for a couple seasons, lots of fighters were doing it. Eric Boulton is another major offender. Zach Stortini, Brad Staubitz also were guilty.

I dont see it much anymore, and I assume a warning was put out there behind the scenes.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I think it was classless on Johnson's part. His team got a great big heehaw out of the opposing goalie getting injured. They paid for it later - the aftermath of which caused me to lose a lot of respect for Mario L. Not a fan or enemy of either team, but I enjoyed the Old Testament retribution the Isles exacted and hearing Mario say afterward he might leave hockey after all this bad fighting (OK when his goons do it - damages the sport when yours do it).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think it was classless on Johnson's part. His team got a great big heehaw out of the opposing goalie getting injured. They paid for it later - the aftermath of which caused me to lose a lot of respect for Mario L. Not a fan or enemy of either team, but I enjoyed the Old Testament retribution the Isles exacted and hearing Mario say afterward he might leave hockey after all this bad fighting (OK when his goons do it - damages the sport when yours do it).

Still wondering what he's doing now.

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed." He further added "If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

A month later..

BTW, here's Cooke running DP earlier that year 3 times in one game:

Considering how many injuries DP has had, Matt Cooke is just a loser. A real loser.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This fight so perfectly sums up the career of DiPietro:
- Initiates contact with Cooke, "look at me, I'm awesome!"
- Trash talks Johnson. "See, told you I'm gonna be great."
- Stuggles to get gloves off "Ok there may be some setbacks, but still I'm the Franchise."
- Grabs Johnson. "Ok, Ok I got this still."
- It's over! "Oh crap, what have I done with my life?"

May be my favorite NHL "fight" ever.

I don't understand how you find DP to be the aggressor vs Johnson, what zone was it in again? Johnson came all the way down and Rick came up 10 feet from his crease, not the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad