Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal on Tsn1040: Markstrom Progress Made

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think Canucks are planning to have both Marky and Demko.

The big hitch on Marky is that he doesnt get a NMC so that the Canucks can expose him to seattle and protect Demko.

I still think Demko is the goalie of the future for the Canucks

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I dont see how it would have any effect on Demko's value. He's not a valuable piece anyways and prettt much anywherr he goes is going to be a 1B type if not outright backup.

Vancouver signing it's starting goalie would essentially have minimal impact on Demko and any potential trades.

Demko not a valuable piece? Yeah I guess young goalies with potential to be #1 and absloutely dominated playoffs arent valuable.

you must be just fine and dandy with Francouz and Graubauer going forward for the AVS

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Demko in the OEL deal?

Would let arizona get a first for Kuemper

That is my guess. GM JB is going all in to win if he is acquiring a 29 yr old LHD. So he will sign the veteran old G and try to win a cup in 1-4 years. VS keep Demko and your window is 1-10 years potentially.

GM's don't look too long term, they are paid to get results and if they don't get them they get fired..so JB is trying to win now vs long term if this trade and Markstrom signing happen.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
It's the kick the can down the road strategy.

15168441.jpg
I could see it if the Canucks can offer up a 1st or two, but the Canucks don’t even have this years 1st.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I dont see how it would have any effect on Demko's value. He's not a valuable piece anyways and prettt much anywherr he goes is going to be a 1B type if not outright backup.

Vancouver signing it's starting goalie would essentially have minimal impact on Demko and any potential trades.
How is he not a valuable piece? Or do you mean what he will return in a trade return isn't substantial? He's ready for a starting job sooner than later and there is only one net per team so re-signing Markstrom probably does have an impact on Demkos future.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
This is why you don't stat watch.
He was good in the regular season, he had a bad stretch after Markstrom went down, Lots of those goals came in the last few minutes, Canucks defense was completely crippled and brutal, he stood on his head.:help:
I do watch and his blocker side is a real concern, consistently gets beat.

He was horrendous in that stretch after he got lit up by Colorado.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Whole lotta "vague" rumours and rumblings of things that "could" happen. Rick Dhaliwal loves to do this.

Reactions: Cogburn

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I do watch and his blocker side is a real concern, consistently gets beat.

He was horrendous in that stretch after he got lit up by Colorado.
Sorry, I appreciate your opinion, even tho it's incredibly wrong.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Kicking the can down the road solves the problem. If eriksson can be moved, then in 2 years Luongo recapture is gone and the team has cleared up $9m compared to last year.
Isn’t the real problem next offseason where the Pettersson and Hughes ELC’s are up? That’s gotta be close to $20M combined for just those 2 alone.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Kicking the can down the road solves the problem. If eriksson can be moved, then in 2 years Luongo recapture is gone and the team has cleared up $9m compared to last year.

Kicking the can down the road never works. That's pretty much the definition of the term.

However, you've now been promoted to the AGM position of the Vancouver Canucks.

Congratulations!

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I hope not. I want Demko lol. Marky's gonna be old in just 3 years. unless its a 4 or 5 year term it's too long. We would probably have to trade him after year 3.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Trading Demko is very risky business! Especially if you’re giving him a way for free to dump Eriksson contract to only sign Markstrom to a similar cap hit with longer term, which in turns doesn’t really help us with our cap issues. :confused:

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
We are going to have a goalie controversy the moment Jim signs him. :laugh:

Just what we need. Another distraction.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Isn’t the real problem next offseason where the Pettersson and Hughes ELC’s are up? That’s gotta be close to $20M combined for just those 2 alone.
They will be bridged for significantly less than that. Young elite players will not want to sign long contracts while salaries are depressed.

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
I think Canucks are planning to have both Marky and Demko.

The big hitch on Marky is that he doesnt get a NMC so that the Canucks can expose him to seattle and protect Demko.

I still think Demko is the goalie of the future for the Canucks

It makes more sense for Markstrom to just walk and pick where he plays then.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
They will be bridged for significantly less than that. Young elite players will not want to sign long contracts while salaries are depressed.
Why not? The best of the best always get paid. Suffering injuries that derail your career or outright ending it is an even bigger risk than to not just take the best available deal. Plus, Pettersson will have the leverage of offer sheets so Benning can’t just dick with him.

Regardless if it’s a bridge or not, the dollar value will still be very very high for both players.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Eriksson + Demko to Detroit for future considerations.

You just beat me to it.

Hey, hey, hey....what happened to Svechnikov or a 2nd or 3rd or something back?

Also, I didn't quote it, but no to Abdelkader. Even at half retained....we just can't afford him.

Was Demko not an absolute monster for you guys in the playoffs?

I don't know the full story but I am surprised that he's not a priority.

Markstrom did have an amazing season though so....I have no idea what I am talking about.

Demko was a monster for our 3 games we needed him for, and I'm sure he will continue from there.

Markstrom was also a monster for us, and has developed further along then Demko and can play 65 games without looking gassed.

It's a hard call, but really, it's not fair to keep both around, nor is it prudent for us to not maximize value for one or the other. This isn't like having two top 10 centers, or two top pairing D on the same side, where you can build a team around it, two goalies that are both playing out of their minds creates controversy.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Interesting take, but I don't see it happening. I think Toronto and Edmonton have completely set the bar with superstar players now and these young RFA's are going to just want to lock in their security as soon as possible. All it takes is one bad injury and you have lost your big pay day. Also, who knows how long this cap will stay flat for, one would hope not too long but the uncertainty of when Covid will end would make these players want the safety of their big contract now.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
When you're against the cap you look for obvious ways to get shed salary, get younger, and increase your team's potential. THIS IS IT. THIS IS THAT OBVIOUS THING. Letting an expensive, aging veteran free agent go when you have a rising, younger, cheaper player to replace him, even if the results may not be great at first and even if there's an inherent risk. Given the state of the team, Markstrom ought to be let go in favour of Demko even if the cap problems were moderate or still a year or two away.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They still have Di Pietro coming up as well, so I could see trading Demko, signing Markstrom, and looking to Di Pietro as the goalie of the future as an option.
If this happens you just absolutely know it's gonna be a situation where
Demko = Tuukka Rask
DiPietro = Justin Pogge

Reactions: CherryCoke

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Was Demko not an absolute monster for you guys in the playoffs?

I don't know the full story but I am surprised that he's not a priority.

Markstrom did have an amazing season though so....I have no idea what I am talking about.
Most teams are all going with a 2 goalie tandem. Expecting Demko to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad