Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal on Tsn1040: Markstrom Progress Made

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I'm starting to get tidbits from 2-3 sources that there is some progress. Not saying it will be done today or tomorrow.

Looks like some Progress is being made.
My guess is that the deal is probably done, but don't want to tell anybody since it would lower Demko's Value.
What does everybody think?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They still have Di Pietro coming up as well, so I could see trading Demko, signing Markstrom, and looking to Di Pietro as the goalie of the future as an option.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Was Demko not an absolute monster for you guys in the playoffs?

I don't know the full story but I am surprised that he's not a priority.

Markstrom did have an amazing season though so....I have no idea what I am talking about.
Markstrom was great also, and carried this team for 2 years.
Fans love him, as do teammates from all reports.
Maybe Marky will make less than we think and take a discount? 5x5.5m?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Markstrom did have an amazing season though so....I have no idea what I am talking about.
You know what you're talking about and I agree oh well we don't run the team though.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
For people getting excited about Demko being potentially available.

Harman:
Demko has meaningful trade value for the right team. In fact, I spoke to an NHL scout last week who pegged Demko as Vancouver’s only significant trade chip outside of Brock Boeser as other teams do believe the young netminder has starter upside.

Perfectly Developed, Learned a lot midseason when Markstrom went down (Struggled first few games, great after).
Stat's don't tell the whole story in the regular season.
Insane in the playoffs.

Value = Mid 1st rounder. (He was draft early in the 2nd round).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For people getting excited about Demko being potentially available.

Harman:

Perfectly Developed, Learned a lot midseason when Markstrom went down (Struggled first few games, great after).
Stat's don't tell the whole story in the regular season.
Insane in the playoffs.

Value = Mid 1st rounder. (He was draft early in the 2nd round).

Unfortunately for VAN, the cost to move Loui is nearly the same.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Demko had a monstrous 3 games, I think anyone would have a hard time prioritizing that over Markstrom's season. Demko was a highly touted prospect so it's not a Hamburglar situation, could see him being the real deal. Gotta go with Markstrom though.

Last edited:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
So wait, cap strapped Canucks are somehow taking on OEL’s contract and re-signing Markstrom? How exactly will this work out exactly? Unless Arizona has foolishly decided to eat tons of cap space for Jim Benning.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Demko had a monstrous 3 games, I think anyone would have a hard time prioritising that over Markstrom's season. Demko was a highly touted prospect so it's not a Hamburglar situation, could see him being the real deal. Gotta go with Markstrom though.

Given the age of the team and cap issues we have and will continue to have there is legitimate reason to prioritize Demko over Markstrom. There's risk either way and benefits on either side. Not exactly an easy situation to resolve.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

He waa good for 3 playoff games, his regular season wasn't good. Pretty tough to put all your eggs in that basket.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
If you can get it done to where the NMC isn’t an issue and we can still keep/protect Demko in the ED, then I’m all for it. Let Demko back him up for a little while longer until then, and then deal one of them at the deadline/expansion draft for some assets once the picture on who you want to go with for the next few years is a bit clearer.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
He waa good for 3 playoff games, his regular season wasn't good. Pretty tough to put all your eggs in that basket.
This is why you don't stat watch.
He was good in the regular season, he had a bad stretch after Markstrom went down, Lots of those goals came in the last few minutes, Canucks defense was completely crippled and brutal, he stood on his head.:help:

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
So wait, cap strapped Canucks are somehow taking on OEL’s contract and re-signing Markstrom? How exactly will this work out exactly? Unless Arizona has foolishly decided to eat tons of cap space for Jim Benning.

It's the kick the can down the road strategy.

15168441.jpg

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Demko and Loui for a 2nd rounder seems fair to me.

Vancouver's situation isn't really much different from Toronto's last year. Loui obviously doesn't have the full NTC, but presumably his 15 team list is going to include the teams that actually have cap space, which are few and far between.

The cost to move him is going to be absurd.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont see how it would have any effect on Demko's value. He's not a valuable piece anyways and prettt much anywherr he goes is going to be a 1B type if not outright backup.

Vancouver signing it's starting goalie would essentially have minimal impact on Demko and any potential trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad