Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Connor on Chiclets was interesting saying how Maurice would go weeks without talking to players while Bowness has much more of an informal relationship to go along with being the coach.

I think that's really important to give credibility to the callouts at times for lazy and ineffective play. He's got a relationship with the team and players on a human level.
How the heck as a coach can you go weeks without talking to players? No wonder Noone knew what they were supposed to do, communication was completely lacking.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Connor on Chiclets was interesting saying how Maurice would go weeks without talking to players while Bowness has much more of an informal relationship to go along with being the coach.

I think that's really important to give credibility to the callouts at times for lazy and ineffective play. He's got a relationship with the team and players on a human level.
Saw him behind Lowry on the bench a game back, patted Lowry on the shoulder and said something to him..
Then I saw something I haven’t often seen..Lowry just turned his whole body to the right and looked up and listened to him finish talking.
I think that moment captured how Bowness has the teams’ respect and vice versa. It’s a good thing to see, maybe it doesn’t mean a whole lot to some, but it looks like a whole new thing to me.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Ok so why was Chipman so enamoured???!

I'm guessing that Mo didn't go weeks without chatting to Chipman...

The skinny on Bowness over the summer was that he was a good player's coach who spent time developing relationships with players, focused on democracy in leadership in the lockerroom and on the ice, and was not necessarily sophisticated in terms of how he ran his lines and systems.

I think it's pretty clear at this point in the season that the systems aren't necessarily holding the team back, although the PP needs some tweaking, and that he's shown himself to be reasonably flexible in terms of ice time and in learning from his mistakes -- e.g, leaving out his top producers in an EN situation while 3 goals were pounded in -- compare his PG comment that he wouldn't necessarily make that call again (paraphrased) over some flimflammery leading us to a Ron Francis anecdote and then a repeat of the costly mistake, because dagnabbit we are never wrong about anything.

I think his fellow coaches likely have some impact into his decision making, and that also means some "modern coaching" updates to his thinking, which is also useful, especially if as expected we see the team handed over to Arniel once B moves on.

He'll have his shelf life like any other coach, although his seems self-imposed. But it's good to see the team playing closer to the limits of its talent, as opposed to limiting its talent via perplexing roster and systems decisions, because "I run the bench."

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Ok so why was Chipman so enamoured???!
when Po Mo came in the team was initially more successful. and the team was doing "OK" or even Awesome under him for a lot of his tenure...I think that was just the talent level he had on the ice that covered below average coaching... but I could see how you would look at that and say "well PoMo is doing a pretty good job, he loves the city, has made Winnipeg a home...we should keep him"

I think once the team couldn't get over the hump and it was clear the players had lost faith...they made the change.

Reactions: kellhunter

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
when Po Mo came in the team was initially more successful. and the team was doing "OK" or even Awesome under him for a lot of his tenure...I think that was just the talent level he had on the ice that covered below average coaching... but I could see how you would look at that and say "well PoMo is doing a pretty good job, he loves the city, has made Winnipeg a home...we should keep him"

I think once the team couldn't get over the hump and it was clear the players had lost faith...they made the change.
I kind of agree, but it's more accurate to say that they made the change once Maurice quit because he wasn't having fun coming to the rink anymore. I think it was clear for a LONG time that the players lost faith - ruffled feathers and all that...

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I think Paul Maurice was the right coach for the Jets...until he wasn't. He obviously has his strengths and his weaknesses, and his lack of ultimate success (Stanley Cup) shows that his main weakness is that he just can't take his team over that final hurdle, a hurdle the Jets were ready to overcome 4 or 5 years ago.

On the other hand, he deserves a lot of credit for getting the team up to that point.

The only question about all of this is how much of a role was played by Dustin Byfuglien. He was a force of nature to a greater degree than any other Jet I've ever seen, going right back to 1972, and having him on the team changed all of the rules, all of the time, and made for unpredictable success (and sometimes unpredictable failure). There is no other player in the league comparable in that way, both positive and negative.

Damn, he was fun.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Bones success to date has been through improved communication and player buy-in. A couple years back when Brind'Amour won the Jack Adams, he was quoted (paraphrase) as saying something along the lines of all of us coaches run the same systems with only slight variations. The key to a successful coach is communicating to each player their role in the system, and then getting them to buy-in night after night.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
People have to remember that we went from Noel to Maurice. That was a massive massive upgrade. It can't be understated how monumentally bad Noel was as a coach. You could walk out into the street from the arena and find a dozen people in the crowd that could have been better coaches than Noel.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I give him an A and if the Jets are still inside the top 3 of the Central by the all-star break I will give him an A+.

He actually coaches guys; you know telling them what they need to improve and what they need to keep doing and holds them accountable for taking that info and executing on the ice. Rewards great play and not just short term results. He is playing the long game and getting this team ready for the part of the season when goals get harder to score and teams begin to really grind it out. He is getting them into a mode where they could be very difficult to play against as the systems become 2nd nature. Likely takes at least 40 games to ingrain that mentality.

I liked PoMo but he rarely held vets accountable which seems to be 1st on the list for Bones to do. early on he said "the vets can't be the problem" I never liked Huddy and believe he was a big negative for the defense for years. He was just lucky to have some real studs on D like Buff (freak of nature), Trouba, Engstrom.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
It's really easy to shit on the old coach, blame everything on Paul Maurice and lay all of our previous woes at his feet.

I've seen a lot of people blame Paul and point to the results this year as proof that he was not a good coach. I find that incredibly convenient and an "easy answer".

Probably because it's absolutely true. Paul Maurice has always been a slick talking snake oil salesman who is a garbage coach that destroys locker rooms. Nothing pleases me more to see him struggle in florida, hopefully he'll be on his way to the khl at some point in the near future. Rick may not be one of your all-time great coaches, but I absolutely love how he preaches playing for the person next to you and laying it out on the line. X's and O's only go so far. You need to motivate your team and get them to buy into a team philosophy. Obviously we aren't perfect, and there's still some rust and glitches, but for god's sake we're first in the division and on pace to be third in the league with our games on hand.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
IMG_20221208_212806818.jpg

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
For many, it has been obvious for a long time. Others - it will eventually come into sharp focus just how much time we threw away with Paul Maurice driving the bus.

This comment was from back in September during the pre season. I think the focus keeps getting sharper.

- 5 man defensive structure / fwds back deep
- slot coverage
- significantly reduced high danger chances against
- big drop in average goals against
- significant improvement from passive PK
- high and quick movement improved PP
- 4 line utilization / balance
- activated d men
- hard gap at blue line (execution still spotty)
- hard forecheck

This is just the stuff that jumps instantly to mind. The on ice results speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peachkings1922

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm giving him a B+. He's done a great job getting the players to buy into a complete system overhaul, and the guys are playing some exceptional hockey. My quibbles are around the bottom end of the roster, and that time he let Carolina score three goals in 5 minutes to force overtime. His team can't trap in the neutral zone to protect the lead to save its life, and it shows. The power play is still completely pedestrian, but the penalty kill is much better than it's ever been.

I still think it's too early to eat crow, but I'm preheating the oven right now.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I'm giving him a B+. He's done a great job getting the players to buy into a complete system overhaul, and the guys are playing some exceptional hockey. My quibbles are around the bottom end of the roster, and that time he let Carolina score three goals in 5 minutes to force overtime. His team can't trap in the neutral zone to protect the lead to save its life, and it shows. The power play is still completely pedestrian, but the penalty kill is much better than it's ever been.

I still think it's too early to eat crow, but I'm preheating the oven right now.
Interesting comment about the Power Play. There has been a lot more body movement and quick puck movement on the powerplay over time this year. It's something they have been working on. I mean, look at the speed and quick, precision passing on yesterday's powerplay goal.

The other thing to note is that the PP% is converting about 14% more than in Maurice's last full year as coach (23.5% vs 20.5%) and about 11% more than last year's power play (23.5% vs 21%). That improvement is significant.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Interesting comment about the Power Play. There has been a lot more body movement and quick puck movement on the powerplay over time this year. It's something they have been working on. I mean, look at the speed and quick, precision passing on yesterday's powerplay goal.

The other thing to note is that the PP% is converting about 14% more than in Maurice's last full year as coach (23.5% vs 20.5%) and about 11% more than last year's power play (23.5% vs 21%). That improvement is significant.

How much of that is finishing talent, though? They remain too static on the power play, and aren't trying to break down seam passes with quick puck movement. It's basically just passing it around the top of the offensive zone, then shoot and try and crash for rebounds. It at least feels like they're able to get into the offensive zone a lot more cleanly than they had in previous years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How much of that is finishing talent, though? They remain too static on the power play, and aren't trying to break down seam passes with quick puck movement. It's basically just passing it around the top of the offensive zone, then shoot and try and crash for rebounds. It at least feels like they're able to get into the offensive zone a lot more cleanly than they had in previous years.

The past few games have been better but I do agree that the PP is still way too static. Scheifele needs to move way more then he is. He's still largely hanging out way too close to the boards.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It is the same finishing talent as the last two years. It was recognized by the coaching staff and they have been working on movement. I think it was Bowness who made the specific comment about it in a recent pre or post game interview. And it is working, it is better, the results matter. Is there room for improvement, of course, which is why they are working on it. Too bad it took until this year for a serious effort to address it to see better results. They are seeing better results.

Reactions: Stumbledore

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It is the same finishing talent as the last two years. It was recognized by the coaching staff and they have been working on movement. I think it was Bowness who made the specific comment about it in a recent pre or post game interview. And it is working, it is better, the results matter. Is there room for improvement, of course, which is why they are working on it. Too bad it took until this year for a serious effort to address it to see better results. They are seeing better results.

Aye. They do have new elements to the PP, though. Perfetti and Gagner are both great puck movers in their own right, and PLD and Fefe are both on the top PP with Morrissey and KFC. The special teams and defensive coaching is paying dividends right now. It still could be better, because it's just pedestrian. Still, being pedestrian is better than being terrible, which is what we're used to seeing.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
- 1st in the Division ,2nd in the Conference, 5th in the NHL in points
- 1st in Division, 1st in Conference, 4th in NHL in winning percentage
- 1st in the Division, 1st in the Conference, 3rd in the NHL in goals against
- tied for 1 in the Division, 2nd in Conference, tied for 3rd in NHL in PK
All this on a team on a team with a complete lack of defensive structure last year. Team leaders that coasted behind rushing opponents and floated behind the play hoping for a turnover. A NHL team that had less structure than a good mior league team. A team that by all accounts had one of the worst locker rooms in the NHL A team that kept the core.
Bones is a frigging miracle worker.

Reactions: Guardian17

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
- 1st in the Division ,2nd in the Conference, 5th in the NHL in points
- 1st in Division, 1st in Conference, 4th in NHL in winning percentage
- 1st in the Division, 1st in the Conference, 3rd in the NHL in goals against
- tied for 1 in the Division, 2nd in Conference, tied for 3rd in NHL in PK
All this on a team on a team with a complete lack of defensive structure last year. Team leaders that coasted behind rushing opponents and floated behind the play hoping for a turnover. A NHL team that had less structure than a good mior league team. A team that by all accounts had one of the worst locker rooms in the NHL A team that kept the core.
Bones is a frigging miracle worker.
I wonder what happened to all those loud critics who denounced Chevy for not doing anything to improve the team in the off-season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad