Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
The team has really bought into the concept of short shifts and playing all four lines.

This keeps everyone rested.

I also notice that Bowness has not complained about changing time zones this season.

Fix what you can control. Don't complain about what you can't. Great stuff from Bowness this season.

I've also noticed that Jets social media is a lot more active with locker room content this season. Kind of insignificant compared to on-ice results, but it shows how much they must have managed to turn things around behind closed doors for them to be so willing to open them again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Fix what you can control. Don't complain about what you can't. Great stuff from Bowness this season.

I've also noticed that Jets social media is a lot more active with locker room content this season. Kind of insignificant compared to on-ice results, but it shows how much they must have managed to turn things around behind closed doors for them to be so willing to open them again.
agreed fully on the social media part. previous the jets social media was pretty weak. like you said, it is insignificant to on-ice results but i have noticed an uptick. i think sara orlesky's new role helps too with pumping out content, and i believe they hired a new twitter admin.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The coaches version of the Serenity Prayer.

Reactions: hn777

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

The Jets social media has improved significantly this season.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I wonder what happened to all those loud critics who denounced Chevy for not doing anything to improve the team in the off-season?

We're still here, and there are still glaring holes in the team. Just because the coaching has been able to paper over a lot of it doesn't mean those holes don't exist. I wanted either Schmidt or Pionk traded, because those two contracts represent excess that we can use to shore up the forward core more, and they're basically the same type of player (Pionk better O, Schmidt better D). I also wanted a middle 6 forward in return, because Ehlers going down has shown just how weak our top-6 RW is right now. That hasn't changed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We're still here, and there are still glaring holes in the team. Just because the coaching has been able to paper over a lot of it doesn't mean those holes don't exist. I wanted either Schmidt or Pionk traded, because those two contracts represent excess that we can use to shore up the forward core more, and they're basically the same type of player (Pionk better O, Schmidt better D). I also wanted a middle 6 forward in return, because Ehlers going down has shown just how weak our top-6 RW is right now. That hasn't changed.
I'll agree Schmidt is over paid for what he brings, he is at least a legit NHL defenseman. Having 5 vet defenseman has allowed us to have a game to game stability, where we can actually play the same way consistently. In terms of forward depth that has actually been the biggest surprise this year. We easily now have a 1/2 dozen depth forwards on top of Lowry and Gus to fill out the bottom 6. Of course Ehlers being out of the lineup hurts, but we have been able to consistently score goals which has helped make up for his absence. Once he is back, we will have a very strong forward group.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
So great job bowness than for papering over holes? Essiymont has looked great in Ehlers spot and we are winning.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So great job bowness than for papering over holes? Essiymont has looked great in Ehlers spot and we are winning.

Look at how many people they cycled through that top line billing, though. None have even come close to reproducing what Ehlers can do. If Appleton didn't break his arm, he'd still be there. I guess credit Appleton for getting injured randomly?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Look at how many people they cycled through that top line billing, though. None have even come close to reproducing what Ehlers can do. If Appleton didn't break his arm, he'd still be there. I guess credit Appleton for getting injured randomly?
No, my point is this is Bowness thread. So one can’t fault the coach for something the GM is responsible for. It’s not the coach’s fault that Schmidt or Pionk weren’t traded for a middle 6 guy who would look good in top 6. You can only credit him or fault him for how he uses the pieces available. You can hold him responsible for giving Gagner so many chances in top 6 or not giving x not enough chances. Also comparing the guy Easy mount or Apple to Ehlers is not fair. Ehlers gets 6 mil for his job the other guys a 3rd of that in Apple’s case a 6th of that Easy’s case is hardly fair. Also, have we had anyone who would have looked good in those shoes? Copp, Perrault, Stas would not look good if you compared them to Ehlers.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
No, my point is this is Bowness thread. So one can’t fault the coach for something the GM is responsible for. It’s not the coach’s fault that Schmidt or Pionk weren’t traded for a middle 6 guy who would look good in top 6. You can only credit him or fault him for how he uses the pieces available. You can hold him responsible for giving Gagner so many chances in top 6 or not giving x not enough chances. Also comparing the guy Easy mount or Apple to Ehlers is not fair. Ehlers gets 6 mil for his job the other guys a 3rd of that in Apple’s case a 6th of that Easy’s case is hardly fair. Also, have we had anyone who would have looked good in those shoes? Copp, Perrault, Stas would not look good if you compared them to Ehlers.

My _point_ was to respond to the person that called out people who wanted Cheveldayoff to do more this off season than just hire a new coaching staff. That's what I was addressing. Bowness doing a good job with what he has doesn't mean there isn't more that can't be done to address roster inefficiencies.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I appreciate Bowness' authenticity in his interviews. Nice to see him confirm my view of the situation surrounding Wheeler's captaincy (how it's a relief for Wheels, took the pressure off and has resulted in him enjoying life more now - which I think is plain to see anyway). Win/win for him and the club.

The biggest thing for me that this article reiterates is that Bowness communicates clearly with the players. He also tries to actually give real answers instead of bullshitting. Very refreshing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I appreciate Bowness' authenticity in his interviews. Nice to see him confirm my view of the situation surrounding Wheeler's captaincy (how it's a relief for Wheels, took the pressure off and has resulted in him enjoying life more now - which I think is plain to see anyway). Win/win for him and the club.

The biggest thing for me that this article reiterates is that Bowness communicates clearly with the players. He also tries to actually give real answers instead of bullshitting. Very refreshing.
I've seen it a few times where our players have explicitly mentioned his communication being one of his strengths.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I've seen it a few times where our players have explicitly mentioned his communication being one of his strengths.

Same. And I've also lost count of the number of his former players who have made a point to say that Rick has a great way of letting players know where they stand within the team, his expectations for them, and ultimately how he feels they can contribute to help the team win.

So refreshing to hear.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad