Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Toews as assistant gm? Why and why. Dude has zero experience

I wouldn't want him as an assistant GM but I'd definitely like to get him in hockey opps as a special assistant to the GM. Much like what Lecavier does for Montreal.

As a player in his prime he saw value in both the offensive and defensive side of the game. I think that he would bring a lot of value to the table.

Reactions: TommyKillian

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Bumping this to remind people that Rick Bowness is an average coach that was unable to elevate a petulant core, and his line combinations were farcical. He's got a good sound bite, and we can trust him to shoot from the hip. What he said last night needed to be said, but he's also part of the problem.

I would like to see Winnipeg Jets hire Jonathon Toews as an assistant GM. He could eventually become our Yzerman or Shanahan!

I absolutely want no part of that core of silence from 2010. If people thought Kevin Cheveldayoff was culpable but absolved by plausible deniability in his role as AGM of the Chicago Blackhawks, Toews was absolutely complicit and culpable. We don't need that festering in the front office as well.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Bumping this to remind people that Rick Bowness is an average coach that was unable to elevate a petulant core, and his line combinations were farcical. He's got a good sound bite, and we can trust him to shoot from the hip. What he said last night needed to be said, but he's also part of the problem.

I absolutely want no part of that core of silence from 2010. If people thought Kevin Cheveldayoff was culpable but absolved by plausible deniability in his role as AGM of the Chicago Blackhawks, Toews was absolutely complicit and culpable. We don't need that festering in the front office as well.
I wondered if it's Bowness is an average coach or this team culture/attitude is so far gone no one can save it until they start shipping the main pieces out?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Let see how well TNSE and Chevy handle the truth!
ucanthandlethetruth-jack-nicholson.gif

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Bowness is in the perfect position to say what he said. He was only coaching as a personal favor to TNSE because he was retired, and the Jets needed someone to coach, so Bowness agreed for a season. He has nothing to lose be telling the truth about this team.

Exactly. He said what needed to be said, and it's up to TNSE to take that critical analysis and do what needs to be done. You can't do a soft reset with this core. It's too fractured and set in its ways.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Maurice was the problem
Dave Lowry was the problem
Bowness is the problem

I get it. This team is ready to dominate once the right coach is hired who can motivate them to play hard when facing playoff elimination.

This will be an interesting offseason. I can't see the team eating two years of Bowness' contract, and am not sure if Cheveldayoff will suddenly turn into Trader Jack. And it seems like Bowness threw down the gauntlet. I wonder if he will "resign" and take a buyout.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't think he said anything that any of us on here haven't said the last few years.

I think it's refreshing to hear it, perhaps Paul blowing smoke up their asses all the time became a problem. I think we got some players (55 26) who think they are above coaching and I think... you gotta start there. Bones learning why Maurice said he didn't coach a few guys, cuz they are uncoachable

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I wonder what impact getting Brad Lauer back on the bench has had. If I have my timelines right, he left the team with a herniated disc during the All-Star Break, and he returned for the Detroit game (though still isn't skating with the team). Is he someone that our offensive contributors need on the bench to bounce ideas off? His absence corresponded pretty closely to our slump.
And his return coincided with our end of the season push.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
if I play for the jets I walk in right now and ask for a trade. this player attack is for the locker room ONLY. Never but NEVER on global TV. yes Jets had a stinker of a game, evey team has one once in a while ( or if you wish " shiiiit happens " thats why its called shiiiit )

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
if I play for the jets I walk in right now and ask for a trade. this player attack is for the locker room ONLY. Never but NEVER on global TV. yes Jets had a stinker of a game, evey team has one once in a while ( or if you wish " shiiiit happens " thats why its called shiiiit )

Have you seen other post game interviews? What Bowness did was only a shock because it happened in Winnipeg where this kind of stuff has never happened. Teams get called out by coaches in public all around the league. It happens.

Nov 24, 2006
I don't think it was that bad to be honest. He was definitely pissed and he directed it at the players. He was also correct that this team doesn't push back.

Recall the players (especially Scheifele) were "glad they were getting a coach to hold them accountable". Well, he did at that press conference.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I don't think it was that bad to be honest. He was definitely pissed and he directed it at the players. He was also correct that this team doesn't push back.

Recall the players (especially Scheifele) were "glad they were getting a coach to hold them accountable". Well, he did at that press conference.
Pride was mentioned. Winnipeg needs a different strategy in players they attract and sign.

Draft and develop is really key for the B grade cities. Trade players for maximum return. Every year the team should consider being a seller at the trade deadline. That is the beauty of depth.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad