TV: Rick and Morty - Renewed for 70 more episodes

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Infinite Ricks, so there are infinite universes with a Rick and infinite universes without.

Right, thanks.

I think you're overthinking it. There are as many Ricks as necessary for the plot of any given episode. This is not a fictional setting where any rule is hard and fast.

Also this, I agree. :laugh: I do feel like though that it's the shows claim to accord to a certain logic. The infinite Ricks argument explains it anyway though.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I still love that copy pasta XD
The beauty of it is its not even much of an exaggeration. People get super pretentious about the show.
I didn't much care for that episode on first watch, but I feel like it might be a subtle grower in terms of easter eggs and throwaway jokes that I didn't catch the first time. The central plot will always be whatever, but there were some little moments that I think will end up being quotable references among R&M fans.

I don't know but while the lightswitch joke was very funny, it seemed like it was referencing something and it just went over my head.

Anyways, very good episode, like it much more than interdimensional cable.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There was another subtle continuity link between Tales from the Citadel and Morty's Mindblowers.

At the beginning of Tales from the Citadel, a Rick and Morty appear to get donations to rebuild the Citadel, only to have the main Rick tell them off. Citadel Rick and Morty appear confused and mention they have to double-check the paperwork. They were expecting a different Rick and Morty.

As we know from Morty's Mindblowers, this may be because Rick and Morty had to abandon another dimension due to the squirrel uprising.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
"everything crooked. Reality is poison, lambs to the cosmic slaughter!"

Lost it at the squirrels part. :laugh: "you ****ed with Squirrles Morty!"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Jerry's mind blowers runs on VHS. He also has tapes for the "Apple Campaign" and "Sleepy Gary"

Funny Easter egg and some fuel for those that think we were watching a different Rick and Morty in the Poopy Butthole episode

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Jerry's mind blowers runs on VHS. He also has tapes for the "Apple Campaign" and "Sleepy Gary"

Funny Easter egg and some fuel for those that think we were watching a different Rick and Morty in the Poopy Butthole episode

There was also a shot of Mr Poopybutthole proposing to Morty :laugh:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
There was another subtle continuity link between Tales from the Citadel and Morty's Mindblowers.

At the beginning of Tales from the Citadel, a Rick and Morty appear to get donations to rebuild the Citadel, only to have the main Rick tell them off. Citadel Rick and Morty appear confused and mention they have to double-check the paperwork. They were expecting a different Rick and Morty.

As we know from Morty's Mindblowers, this may be because Rick and Morty had to abandon another dimension due to the squirrel uprising.

Well, they already abandoned the world that they Cronenberged, so...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It implies that they have abandoned universes more than we know, which potentially makes keeping track of where Rick originally came from harder if you are into theories.

Rick has potentially done it a dozen times or more before meeting the current Morty. We don't know and likely never will. Things like the citadel and Evil Morty are how they call back to that mythos without being 100% tied down to it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Rick has potentially done it a dozen times or more before meeting the current Morty. We don't know and likely never will. Things like the citadel and Evil Morty are how they call back to that mythos without being 100% tied down to it.
I havent seen any indication that evil morty has anything to do with Rick or even that Rick knows about the existence of any evil morty. Seems like a very flimsy fan theory.

Edit: Okay, so he glancingly references it at the end of close encounters with the rick kind.

Either way, I think people tend to get overly invested in the rick and morty storyline. To me its a very peripheral part of the show. I watch for the jokes, but hey everybody values different aspects differently.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I havent seen any indication that evil morty has anything to do with Rick or even that Rick knows about the existence of any evil morty. Seems like a very flimsy fan theory.

Edit: Okay, so he glancingly references it at the end of close encounters with the rick kind.

[spoil] the finale deals with this [/spoil]

Morty's Mindblowers shows that Rick has potentially dealt with big events we've seen countless times and just moved on. It's likely that he's dealt with numerous Mortys that got too big for their britches, as he says.

The show enjoys (and is stronger for it) having a little continuity and lore going on. My point was that they like to use storytelling devices as a way to enjoy that or wink at it while not being totally constricted by a 100% linear continuity. I mean, they managed to create a show where it's plausible that Rick C-137 can just up and destroy the citadel of Ricks AND it gets rebuilt AND they tell interesting stories set solely on the new citadel without any of it feeling absurd or forced.

This season has really hit its stride after 2/3/4 being really weak. Those episodes were written by the new writers they hired that don't seem to understand the show.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Those episodes were fun but definitely didn't feel true to Rick and Morty, though. It's one of those things where you just know that if they kept going down that road, the show would quickly plummet in quality.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
This season has really hit its stride after 2/3/4 being really weak. Those episodes were written by the new writers they hired that don't seem to understand the show.

If that's what happened, it wouldn't surprise me if the temps were brought on and told to write on-the-nose parodies of Die Hard, Mad Max and The Avengers.

Yeah, and, as I believe I've mentioned in this thread before, I really enjoyed the therapy scenes. But the "memeiness" of Pickle Rick bugged me.

I had the same reaction with Noob Noob. It seems the joke about the character was missed.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The squirrel sketch is definitely the highlight, but I also really enjoyed the light switch gag.

It was just so matter of fact with how dark it got

"grab a shovel" *click* "What was that?"

I loved that sketch as well it got so dark and I didn't see that outcome coming. :laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Parody episodes have existed since the first season, and are very much part of the fabric of Rick & Morty. The whole show loves to lampoon sci-fi and speculative fiction tropes. Lawnmower Dog, Anatomy Park, Something Ricked this Way Comes, and Look Who's Purging Now are the most blunt about it, but there's plenty of set-ups and elements borrowed liberally sprinkled into other episodes.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Parody episodes have existed since the first season, and are very much part of the fabric of Rick & Morty. The whole show loves to lampoon sci-fi and speculative fiction tropes. Lawnmower Dog, Anatomy Park, Something Ricked this Way Comes, and Look Who's Purging Now are the most blunt about it, but there's plenty of set-ups and elements borrowed liberally sprinkled into other episodes.

I agree this season has been pretty consistent. I feel like people complaining about the direction or what jokes and storylines are witty enough for their tastes are kind of killinf the joy of the show for themselves.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It's not that they are parody episodes or borrow concepts. It's how the characters are handled within that framework.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad