Richards update from the Mayor

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

Captain Mittens*

Mike Richards is on the ice for their morning skate in Chicago. NOTE: When Richards didn't skate before Game 4 he was immediately ruled out. So, this is at least encouraging for #LAKings - more to come.

Good news?

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Don't really want them to risk it at this point, but its certainly a good sign he's back on the ice...

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Shut him down. The last thing we need is him getting injured again tonight and losing the game. Especially with his history. I wouldn't gamble with one of our best players.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If they figure out that he can go, he'll go. If not, he won't. If he's cleared to play, there's no greater risk than at any other point in the season.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 23m
Not a rotation with Fraser, actually; Richards is skating exclusively with Clifford, Nolan during rushes. Fraser with Richardson, Pearson.

Jon Rosen Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 27m
Kopitar back with Brown, Williams on a rush. Penner, Toffoli with Carter. Richards in a rotation with Clifford, Nolan, Fraser.

Even playing limited minutes 9 or 10 per ga me (which is the total right thing to do) and PP, PK, he can be a difference maker.
Sutter wouldn't play him if he didn't feel he was 100%. And given he was so careful last time, and took every precaution, I don't think MR would either

IF he does play, just having him on the bench and in the lineup is a HUGE lift to the guy Pierre LeBrun called in his article today 'the emotional barometer' of the team.

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 2m
Darryl used the term "50/50" in his answer to a question of whether Richards could play.

Last edited:

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
they should rule him out early then go Willis Reed on them, when willis limped on the court it fired the team the crowd and lead to big win for their only championship in knick history

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
If they figure out that he can go, he'll go. If not, he won't. If he's cleared to play, there's no greater risk than at any other point in the season.

Exactly, if he's not having symptoms than he should be able to play. The team is not going to put him out there if they think it would make things worse. They aren't stupid.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like that they went back to the original lines, but I am not thrilled to hear about Richards thinking of risking it. It is clear that he is not ready. We many many years to look forward to seeing more of Mike in the playoffs, not worth risking it all on this game. Game 7 of the cup finals? Maybe. But not down 3-1 in the conference finals.

Win or lose, it is good that Kopitar is put back in the number one spot. He is our franchise center and has proven himself. Should easily be given the chance to prove it again. It will be a good experience for him regardless.

KingKopitar11*

Can't you die from it? It's called second impact syndrome. People who get another concussion while already dealing with a concussion, athletes die from that. Hopefully they don't play Him.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I like that they went back to the original lines, but I am not thrilled to hear about Richards thinking of risking it. It is clear that he is not ready.
\

I wasn't surprised that he skated with the team at practice because that is the way they can determine his progress. You can't do that skating with the black aces. The next step is warmups with a full crowd an dlights

As for the bolded area- Neither Sutter nor Lombardi would risk MR's health. If he 'wasn't ready' he wouldn't be allowed to practice

And it may be he doesn't play. That the practice is to see how is progressing and how he feels this afternoon afterwords. He's following every step the trainers/doctors tell him.

Sutter said post practice it was a 50=50 chance.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If he's not 100%, he's not going to play. Nobody is going to mess with a head injury. It's not worth worrying about him or the Kings possibly risking future performance. He can get a concussion at any time.

If his injury was anything crazy, he wouldn't have even made the trip to Chicago. Whether the Kings win or lose, that would be two meaningless trips half way across the country and back for Richards. I think everyone involved has control of the situation, and knows what's going on.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I would rather Richards not risk his career.

Sorry, but I think it's ridiculous to think the organization would risk something like that and neither would Richards. I'm thinking his injury was NOT a concussion...had it been, he would not be skating now.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Can't you die from it? It's called second impact syndrome. People who get another concussion while already dealing with a concussion, athletes die from that. Hopefully they don't play Him.

All kidding aside that is what happened to me. I was cleared to play (this is 1979) and still had a concussion. Back then when you got your bell rung they just told you not to sleep for 24 and if you didn't fall apart you were "o.k."

A day later I went out and stood a guy up at the blueline where I initiated contact and right as the hit settled I felt my legs go soft and had tunnel vision. I went down and had what was called a petite mal seizure. I came to and they told me that I had suffered a secondary concussion. It was hard coming back from that one.

Lindros had the same thing happen to him (my only connection the Lindros!) and it eventually ended up costing him his career or so some say.

I am always too sensitive about head injuries as a result of my several so if MR plays then I have to believe that he is ready and that todays technology has him cleared with confidence. If not then what a stupid waste it would be to rush him back.

Pearson is in for tonights game at some point.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Sorry, but I think it's ridiculous to think the organization would risk something like that and neither would Richards. I'm thinking his injury was NOT a concussion...had it been, he would not be skating now.

I really hope you're right.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

He's not gonna play if he has symptoms. They wouldn't put him out there unless they were sure he'd be alright. They've got a full medical staff working with the guy. They would never let anything like that happen.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Richie is pushing hard, obviously, I mean he gave it a go less than 24 hours removed from the initial impact. This is up to the team and the doctors to do the right thing. Even though Sutter has those Canadian Archie Bunker qualities about him, I actually trust him to do the right thing here. Obviously I am not inside Richards' head, but I tend to think playing would be a bad risk.

KingKopitar11*

All kidding aside that is what happened to me. I was cleared to play (this is 1979) and still had a concussion. Back then when you got your bell rung they just told you not to sleep for 24 and if you didn't fall apart you were "o.k."

A day later I went out and stood a guy up at the blueline where I initiated contact and right as the hit settled I felt my legs go soft and had tunnel vision. I went down and had what was called a petite mal seizure. I came to and they told me that I had suffered a secondary concussion. It was hard coming back from that one.

Lindros had the same thing happen to him (my only connection the Lindros!) and it eventually ended up costing him his career or so some say.

I am always too sensitive about head injuries as a result of my several so if MR plays then I have to believe that he is ready and that todays technology has him cleared with confidence. If not then what a stupid waste it would be to rush him back.

Pearson is in for tonights game at some point.

You should feel lucky, could of been much worse. Glad you're okay. Man that's risky. 24 hours. They really didn't know much about head trauma back then at all.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
\

I wasn't surprised that he skated with the team at practice because that is the way they can determine his progress. You can't do that skating with the black aces. The next step is warmups with a full crowd an dlights

As for the bolded area- Neither Sutter nor Lombardi would risk MR's health. If he 'wasn't ready' he wouldn't be allowed to practice

And it may be he doesn't play. That the practice is to see how is progressing and how he feels this afternoon afterwords. He's following every step the trainers/doctors tell him.

It's just hard to imagine that he can go from not even being able to skate to playing in two days. To believably be 100% after that just seems like a fantasy. If he were to play, it is because Richards has decided to take a risk, and I think the organization should prevent it. 50/50 isn't good enough, it means there is clear doubt, just not worth it even if the risk is small. Keep him out and go with Kopitar, Carter, and Stoll.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's just hard to imagine that he can go from not even being able to skate to playing in two days. To believably be 100% after that just seems like a fantasy. If he were to play, it is because Richards has decided to take a risk, and I think the organization should prevent it. 50/50 isn't good enough, it means there is clear doubt, just not worth it even if the risk is small. Keep him out and go with Kopitar, Carter, and Stoll.

It's the playoffs. Sutter saying 50/50 doesn't mean anything. It's just to keep Chicago guessing, whatever that's worth.

Everyone knows the horror stories about what concussions can do. Richards doesn't get on the plane if he's so bad off that he couldn't maybe play. And if he's not completely ready to go, he's not going to play.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
\

It's the playoffs. Sutter saying 50/50 doesn't mean anything. It's just to keep Chicago guessing, whatever that's worth.

Everyone knows the horror stories about what concussions can do. Richards doesn't get on the plane if he's so bad off that he couldn't maybe play. And if he's not completely ready to go, he's not going to play.

He's two days removed from 0/100 just for skating. Even if Sutter was trying to throw off the Blackhawks, it's very hard to imagine that he is 100%. I trust their judgement, but if he plays it would be the wrong call in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad