Richard Panik

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Was the man not too long ago. He seems to have slipped pretty far.

Where do you guess he goes? And do you think he's a steal in the second round, or is his decline warranted?

He has size and speed. Part of Slovakia's best junior line in years. I think he slipped because of his decision to play in a very difficult league for players his age. He will probably go second round. I believe he will have more NHL success than some players drafted in the first round.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
late second would be my guess...

doesn't really impress much.

I'm not sure what that is based on. I highly doubt you've watched any Trinec games. He was injured for the U18. Last U18 he was dominant. In his first and only U20 he scored key goals in the elimination of Finland and USA. This by a team Bob McKenzie picked for relegation.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Was the man not too long ago. He seems to have slipped pretty far.

Where do you guess he goes? And do you think he's a steal in the second round, or is his decline warranted?

He's one of the few players I'm hoping the Pens take, with #30. If I had to guess, I imagine the Pens pass on him and he goes at about #32. He could potentially be a steal at that spot... nobody is ever a steal directly after being drafted. 4 years down the road, if he's scoring 30 goals in the NHL, yep he was a steal and yes I think he can do that. At the same time, he's risky, with his consistency issues and supposed effort issues.

FlamesWillRiseAgain

May 18, 2009
He's one of the few players I'm hoping the Pens take, with #30. If I had to guess, I imagine the Pens pass on him and he goes at about #32. He could potentially be a steal at that spot... nobody is ever a steal directly after being drafted. 4 years down the road, if he's scoring 30 goals in the NHL, yep he was a steal and yes I think he can do that. At the same time, he's risky, with his consistency issues and supposed effort issues.

Is Jeremy Morin one of the other few? He'd be good there, they need a scoring winger.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Is Jeremy Morin one of the other few? He'd be good there, they need a scoring winger.

Ya, Morin is one, despite whispers of those "off ice issues", which I feel have been overblown, not to mention not another issue has arisen since that specific one.

Carl Klingberg is near the top of mine, with Panik and Simon Despres (if he were to fall, I'd say he'd be my #1).

Kyle Palmieri, Landon Ferraro, and Tim Erixon round out the top 6 or so that I'd love to see the Pens take and hope so.

There are many others that I would not be disappointed with, but these are the ones I'd really like to see the Pens make their pick.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I'm not sure what that is based on. I highly doubt you've watched any Trinec games. He was injured for the U18. Last U18 he was dominant. In his first and only U20 he scored key goals in the elimination of Finland and USA. This by a team Bob McKenzie picked for relegation.

You keep on repeating the U20´s argument, but you don´t seem to get that with his disapointing WJC performance people mean that they were expecting more from him and even more the fact that he looked lazy and outspaced during those games. Tatar stealing the show didn´t help him either.

He had a bad year and when you look at it back now, staying in Trinec and not joining Windsor was a big mistake. Of course, he couldn´t have known that he´d suffer from injuries for the beginning of the season, probably the most important part of the season for youngsters in Europe as they need to prove themselves to get playing time, but even if he was healthy, Antonin Stavjana is definitely not a coach known for playing young players.

Also, Panik sounds like quite an immature kid from some interviews.

Despite all of that he could be a hell of a player oneday, but he needs a few years of development and joining Windsor should help him to get back on track. But still there´s a huge possibility that he will be a bust.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Don't see too much NHL potential in this kid. Mostly I just see huge bust potential. Hope he proves me wrong though.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
he looked lazy and outspaced during those games...Panik sounds like quite an immature kid from some interviews...he could be a hell of a player oneday

Not surprisingly, I don't agree with you at all. You don't seem to get that every single player in the draft, save perhaps 1-5, has a significant possibility of being a bust.

It would be easier if you picked a side. You are hard to argue with when you call him lazy, immature, outpaced and then still cover yourself by writing he could be a hell of a player one day. You are like a driver that drives in two lanes without picking one.

I think he did very well at the WJC for his age, I won't repeat the argument because as you point out I am repeating myself. He is still eligible to play again in the tournament in 2010, and again in 2011. Great future, great potential for this kid.

...and don't end your reply with how he could be fantastic. I have you written down as a Panik hater. :)

F127

Feb 10, 2007
With 99% of all players drafted your talking about potential, it's clear that Panik has weak areas in his game not unlike many players in the draft but when your dealing with a skilled player who has been spotty at times it becomes hard to draft players like this high. If he fails to become a top 2 line player then he is useless as a pick. A lot of teams draft safer hard working players who if nothing else will play in the NHL on a 3rd line if they fail to make it on the scoring lines. Panik seems to have the tools to be a big time player but needs a higher level of consistency & work ethic in his game. If he shows that, he could be a special player.

Medicine Twin

May 26, 2002
Miramichi,NB
Visit site
I think the scouts are being a bit hard on this kid. This guy seems to be getting more done with little effort than some of the kids slated for the 1st round are with maximum effort.

He could be a steal IMO.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
The kid is fat, out of shape, and lazy...at least according to some of the comments made about him following the combine. That said, no one can deny that he has skills. If he can lose some weight, get in shape, and learn to hustle, he has the potential to be a steal in this draft. Once this kid gets on a proper training program and Windsor teaches him to compete, look out. I foresee a great season ahead for him.

And it is true that if he was suffering through an injury and getting little playing time, he may have lacked some motivation that led to his poor season and WJC. In Windsor, he is going to be relied upon and if playing with Hall doesn't motivate him, nothing will. Make or break season ahead for him, and if I had to guess I think he is going to flourish.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The kid is fat, out of shape, and lazy...at least according to some of the comments made about him following the combine. That said, no one can deny that he has skills. If he can lose some weight, get in shape, and learn to hustle, he has the potential to be a steal in this draft. Once this kid gets on a proper training program and Windsor teaches him to compete, look out. I foresee a great season ahead for him.

And it is true that if he was suffering through an injury and getting little playing time, he may have lacked some motivation that led to his poor season and WJC. In Windsor, he is going to be relied upon and if playing with Hall doesn't motivate him, nothing will. Make or break season ahead for him, and if I had to guess I think he is going to flourish.

Yes same thing was said about Dan Cleary now he is producing and is one of the most fit athletes in the NHL. It may not be due to poor nutrition and exercise but rather baby fat that will turn into muscle as he matures.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Richard Panik confirmed today without a doubt after being selected by the Tampa Lightning, that he will play this coming year for the Windsor Spitfires.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Have to agree, Windsor runs a pretty tough conditioning program in the summer if Panik comes to town in a couple weeks Windsor will have him lose 15 pounds or so and he will be ready to go. One player on Windsor this past year was overweight and came to town last July and by the time camp started he lost 20 pounds and had a very good season for them. Might take some time for Panik to get into shape, rehab his injury but as was the case with Loktionov I expect Panik to be a great player come January/February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad