Richard Panik: the man, the myth, the legend.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
The NHL is wrought with players that had hot streaks early into their season at older ages. It is way more common for them to settle back into their old ways than sustain it. That being said, I have been wondering if Panik is going to be one of those guys to break the mold and become a consistent 20 goal threat for the Blackhawks, it's certainly possible.
Things happen when you're moved to the top line and get prime pp minutes. Hes always had offensive skills. Posted strong junior and international numbers. Hawks got purged of players again due to the hard cap and Panik arrived with the skill set to fill the void. Great pickup for us.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Panik was actually a very promising prospect at 16/17 years old, IIRC. Before his draft year, he was ranked quite highly. Never really lived up to those early expectations, slid in his draft year, but showed some real ability in the AHL. He's an unheralded guy at this point, but it wouldn't be too surprising to see him become a ~20 goal scorer in the NHL with some decent opportunity. Chicago is a good place for him to find his game. He's a player, imo.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
I moved up my expectations of 20 goals and 20 assists ... to 25 goals and 25 assists for Panik? Is it unrealistic?

At this rate we shouldn't be surprised with a Pirri-like 20 goals and 2 assists (or more, with the same ratio). It's not like he's really setting anyone else up, and he's putting away other players' garbage for goals. As far as accuracy, it's not really sniping when you're within 5 feet of the goal!

I'm just happy we've got a big-body with net-front presence. It's not pretty, but we'll take it.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I think he has a higher shooting percentage right now than Bobby Farnham and Devante Smith-Pelley had last year for the Devils combined.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Anything more than a fourth liner? He's already playing at 2nd-3rd line level. He is not a dale weise

Yup, the short sample size trumps seeing him for a few years. Already playing at a 2nd/3rd line level? Yeah sure, see how long that lasts.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yup, the short sample size trumps seeing him for a few years. Already playing at a 2nd/3rd line level? Yeah sure, see how long that lasts.

What years, even when he was traded and playing in the NHL last year, he was a decent 3rd line quality before he really found his boost in getting to get the top 6 time playing with Toews.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
5 goals in less than 5 games. (Had one hat trick.) Tied with Matthews for the league lead.

Unsustainable hot streak, or a late bloomer finally fulfilling his potential at age 25?

Knowing his history, likely a hot streak that he won't maintain. Guy has grade A talent but can be wildly inconsistent. Glad hes putting it together.

He can be very much like a cut-rate Hossa.

Hine82

May 28, 2011
Winnipeg
I would hold off proclaiming him the next great thing. Guy has 6 goals on 9 shots. 25+ goals scorers don't average 1.5 shots/game. So unless he has suddenly become the most accurate shooter of all time he is either going to have to shoot much more...or he will regress back to his normal averages.

1.5 shots/game gets you like 12 goals in a season at 10% (a bit above the league average 9%)
I will add his career average is 13.8% which is 17 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad