Waived: Richard Panik placed on waivers | claimed by Toronto

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I'll miss Panik. His mental lapses are getting a bit overblown and he seems to have gotten more consistent with his physical game. With confidence and a regular spot in the lineup, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have lots of success in the NHL. Not sure if Carlyle and Toronto is the right fit for that happening, though.

I think Carlyle is going to be gone very soon in Toronto

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
If the intent really was just to send Panik to Syracuse, I assume Yzerman would want him back should Toronto waive him this season. I'm not sure I fully understand what all needs to happen between Toronto waiving him and him being assigned to Syracuse. If Toronto waives him...
1. Is it only possible to send him down immediately if we're the only team putting in a claim?
2. Do teams with better records than the Lightning matter in the claiming process?
3. Do we have the opportunity to take him back before everybody else if the intent was to keep him in Tampa thereafter? (i.e. he'd still have to go through waivers to get sent down)

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
If the intent really was just to send Panik to Syracuse, I assume Yzerman would want him back should Toronto waive him this season. I'm not sure I fully understand what all needs to happen between Toronto waiving him and him being assigned to Syracuse. If Toronto waives him...
1. Is it only possible to send him down immediately if we're the only team putting in a claim?
2. Do teams with better records than the Lightning matter in the claiming process?
3. Do we have the opportunity to take him back before everybody else if the intent was to keep him in Tampa thereafter? (i.e. he'd still have to go through waivers to get sent down)

1. Yes (if we are the only team I believe or we might need to put him on waivers again - not too sure)
2. No
3. No

He goes through waivers again and the same rules apply. If a lower ranked team claims him first, he goes to them. However, he must stay on the main roster and can't be sent down without going through waivers.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
1. Yes (if we are the only team I believe or we might need to put him on waivers again - not too sure)
2. No
3. No

He goes through waivers again and the same rules apply. If a lower ranked team claims him first, he goes to them. However, he must stay on the main roster and can't be sent down without going through waivers.

It used to be old team has first crack at claiming him back if he is put back on waivers by claiming team. This changed?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So in 5 games with the Leafs Panik has 0 points, 0 SOG and is a -2.

TOI/G:
Oct. 11th: 8:17 (2-5 L vs. PIT)
Oct. 12th: 5:28 (6-3 W vs. NYR)
Oct. 14th: 4:44 (3-2 OTW vs. COL)
Oct. 17th: 9:46 (1-4 L vs. DET)
Oct: 18th: 3:10 (0-1 OTL vs. DET)

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
So in 5 games with the Leafs Panik has 0 points, 0 SOG and is a -2.

TOI/G:
Oct. 11th: 8:17 (2-5 L vs. PIT)
Oct. 12th: 5:28 (6-3 W vs. NYR)
Oct. 14th: 4:44 (3-2 OTW vs. COL)
Oct. 17th: 9:46 (1-4 L vs. DET)
Oct: 18th: 3:10 (0-1 OTL vs. DET)

With that icetime? Wow. I'm glad we got rid of this bum when he can't even score with 6 minutes of icetime. Another glorious chance missed by Panik.

And if it wasn't clear enough: :sarcasm:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
With that icetime? Wow. I'm glad we got rid of this bum when he can't even score with 6 minutes of icetime. Another glorious chance missed by Panik.

And if it wasn't clear enough: :sarcasm:

From what I've read Panik has been floating around and that's all he's done so far in Toronto.

It's the old case of "gotta earn your ice time" vs. "I can only shine with x amount of ice time" though.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
From what I've read Panik has been floating around and that's all he's done so far in Toronto.

It's the old case of "gotta earn your ice time" vs. "I can only shine with x amount of ice time" though.

Well, we all hear about how bad their system is around here. Hope he gets another chance with someone else if they end up waiving or trading him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I truly believe he WOULD shine if given better ice time. It's like dumbass Melrose with Stamkos. He expected Stamkos to "earn it" to the point where the headlines of the sports page said "Where's Stamkos?" mocking the old "Seen Stamkos?" ads that TBL floated around to get fan's attention. I honestly feel bad for the kid. Get's a fresh chance and he is welcomed to 5 minutes of ice time. It's a vicious cycle that's never going to break until Carlyle does.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I truly believe he WOULD shine if given better ice time. It's like dumbass Melrose with Stamkos. He expected Stamkos to "earn it" to the point where the headlines of the sports page said "Where's Stamkos?" mocking the old "Seen Stamkos?" ads that TBL floated around to get fan's attention. I honestly feel bad for the kid. Get's a fresh chance and he is welcomed to 5 minutes of ice time. It's a vicious cycle that's never going to break until Carlyle does.

What is your obsession with defending bad players?

Here's the thing: we (or they) see Panik/Connolly only during the context of a game. Coaches see these guys over practice, in the locker room, they see how they respond to adversity, they see their attitude on the bench, they see how hard they work to earn more ice time by working on their game at other times rather than just during the game.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Here's the thing: we (or they) see Panik/Connolly only during the context of a game. Coaches see these guys over practice, in the locker room, they see how they respond to adversity, they see their attitude on the bench, they see how hard they work to earn more ice time by working on their game at other times rather than just during the game.
But I think with any player, you can't expect them to play well when they only get 3, 4, or 5 minutes of ice time. There's no way to get in rhythm or stay sharp when you're on the bench that long. I don't get the point of even dressing them.

With Panik, I'm kinda surprised by Toronto. They wanted him. I'm sure they've seen enough of him to know how he plays.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, playing him 4:44 and 3:10 is ridiculous - especially since both of these games went to OT. Then again, his play possibly didn't warrant giving him more TOI in a close game. Chicken or the egg.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Well of course! They know what we don't but being in a new organization you'd think they would give him more of a chance. I'm sorry but no one's gonna hack it playing 5 minutes a night. I'd like to think Panik can succeed given the proper circumstances. What you say is true in that we know nothing but unless Panik wore out his welcome immediately in Toronto then I don't get why he's not getting much playing time. And as for 2008, I'm sorry but Melrose proved that he was a clueless toolbox when Stamkos started succeeding almost immediately when Barry was kicked out of town.

I'm a little curious of what you meant by obsession with defending bad players? Who have I defended that was bad? I just wanted to point out that his lack of ice time is completely ridiculous and I'd like believe he would be contributing more if he played more than 5 minutes a night sometimes.

Until one of us sits through a Leafs game and watches Panik, all we can do is speculate to if he's floating or not.

DangleDoppler

Jul 14, 2009
I actually did sit through the 1st game of Red Wings Leafs, and he was absolutely floating...He was doing his best Radim Vrbata impersonation.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, playing him 4:44 and 3:10 is ridiculous - especially since both of these games went to OT. Then again, his play possibly didn't warrant giving him more TOI in a close game. Chicken or the egg.

Its the coach. Randy Carlyle is not a good coach. He will give his top 3 lines the same amount of minutes each and every game no matter how they play. The fighters are no longer in the line up but the fourth line still doesnt see any ice time.

I cant really tell if Panik is a good player or not because he sees such limited time whereas most good teams have 4th liners that play 7-10 mins. He's a strong forechecker and a hard hitter. That's all we know about him in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00