Waived: Richard Panik placed on waivers | claimed by Toronto

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Whoa.

I think you could read it on Coop's face in that interview a few days back. Not that it was going to happen, but that it was being considered.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Wow, I really didnt see that happening today. Not a good choice in my opinion, but I guess something had to give. Panik will probably be claimed by Colombus or Carolina I think, so this is his swan song as a Bolt. I just dont see him clearing.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He's gone. Perfect fit for a lot of bottom feeding teams.

I think so too. He's had a hard time translating AHL success to the NHL so far, but he still has so much potential. One of the weaker teams will definitely pick him up and give him an opportunity to shine.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think anyone would've been surprised if it had happened on Monday. I guess Yzerman took the extra time to shop him. Probably all the teams with interest (you'd have to think a few were) are high on the waiver list. Not sure what the order is. No way he clears though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think so too. He's had a hard time translating AHL success to the NHL so far, but he still has so much potential. One of the weaker teams will definitely pick him up and give him an opportunity to shine.

I think there was too much competition for him here, which led to him never being cemented into a role. He would always lose his role to someone else. But on a team like Calgary? If they put him on the 2nd line for better or worse for, say, half the season, he's probably going to figure it out and be a solid player at worst. Seems like a guy who would raise Brian Burke's eyebrow.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
As much as I wasnt a huge fan of Panik, I have to wonder how getting rid of a big body effects us. This team is not going to be particularly physical, and it has me a bit worried about how we match up against physical teams.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Surprised. Rather him then Brown or Morrow but Brown played better this preseason. Can't see him being too motivated to go back to Syracuse, his value would increase if cleared and maybe can fetch a pick then. Maybe he heads to Europe to get his game back can't see him having anything else to prove in the A.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As much as I wasnt a huge fan of Panik, I have to wonder how getting rid of a big body effects us. This team is not going to be particularly physical, and it has me a bit worried about how we match up against physical teams.

He was heading for press box duty or 8 minutes per night if he didn't improve drastically. So I don't think it's a big loss. I do think he'll be better somewhere else than he was here though.

Nice to see Namestnikov's hard work has paid off though. I'm still hoping we send Sustr down though, for his own good.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yeah, my heart isn't breaking. He had plenty of chances to prove he was better. Just didn't happen I guess. I doubt he'll clear, but we've all said that a zillion times before with our players. The fact is, he wasn't going to get his chance here anymore.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
panik_button1.jpg

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Panik wasn't going to help us there though. That was part of the problem for him. He had a big body and could really bulldoze people in the AHL. We've seen him go into beast mode when he's on his game. But up here he never used his size effectively. He's still trying to figure it all out at this level.
Yeah, my heart isn't breaking. He had plenty of chances to prove he was better. Just didn't happen I guess. I doubt he'll clear, but we've all said that a zillion times before with our players. The fact is, he wasn't going to get his chance here anymore.
I wouldn't say plenty of chances. He's hasn't been in the NHL too too long. I would have liked to see him play some more this season to see if he's better, but I guess we're at the point with our depth where those opportunities, those chances, are going to be small and quick before the guy behind you takes your spot. This seems like the case where Kucherov and now Namestnikov have grabbed spots. And plenty more are on their way.

Last edited:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Panik wasn't going to help us there though. That was part of the problem for him. He had a big body and could really bulldoze people in the AHL. We've seen him go into beast mode when he's on his game. But up here he never used his size effectively. He's still trying to figure it all out at this level.

Its more of a worry based on his potential than what he actually did. I think it was the right move.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is actually pretty devastating news for the Crunch. They just lost their #1C.

Yzlamic Preacher*

This is actually pretty devastating news for the Crunch. They just lost their #1C.

Didn't think about that. Does this slot Nammy as the third line C with Kuch and Johnson? Honestly believe putting Nammy on the Fourth would be detrimental to his game.

Someone had to go, would have preferred it be Connolly and actually get some sort of value for him then letting Panik go for free. There is no way Panik doesn't get snagged on waivers. With all the injuries in Columbus seems like a good place. Good fit for him would be Edmonton also.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00