Rumor: RHD Targets to play with Quinn Hughes?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here's the big dumb trade target list I came up with this morning.
-listed every right-handed defenceman in the organization
-didn't include ELCs
-added ELCs with significant NHL experience
-remove players signed as free agents
-remove players that signed extensions
-remove players claimed off waivers
-remove players placed on waivers
-remove injured players
-remove players acquired via trade
-remove superstars
-remove bad players
-removed offense-first players
-removed the guys that just aren't getting traded

RoleTeamContractAgeMisc.
Depth
Ian MitchellBruins1y/0.77524RFA
Isaak PhillipsBlackhawks1y/0.85922ELC-RFA
Marcus BjorkBlue Jackets1y/0.77525RFA
Vincent DesharnaisOilers1y/0.762527UFA
Philip KempOilers1y/0.77524RFA
Casey FitzgeraldPanthers1y/0.77526UFA
Grant HuttonIslanders2y/0.77528
Mark FriedmanPenguins1y/0.77527UFA
Bottom Pair
Ilya LyubushkinDucks1y/2.7529UFA
Joshua BrownCoyotes1y/1.27529UFA
Henri JokiharjuSabres1y/2.524RFA
Jalen ChatfieldHurricanes1y/0.762527UFA
Dylan CoghlanHurricanes1y/0.8525RFA
Andrew PeekeBlue Jackets3y/2.7525
Nick BlankenburgBlue Jackets1y/0.82525ELC
Jani HakanpaaStars1y/1.531UFA
Jordan SpenceKings1y/0.8222ELC-RFA
Jonathan KovacevicCanadiens2y/0.76722
Justin BarronCanadiens1y/0.92521ELC-RFA
Alexandre CarrierPredators1y/2.526UFA
Dante FabbroPredators1y/2.525RFA
Colin MillerDevils1y/1.8530UFA
Chad RuhwedelPenguins1/0.833UFA
Matt BenningSharks3y/1.2529
Jan RuttaSharks2y/2.7533
Will BorgenKraken2y/2.726
Cale FleuryKraken2y/0.824RFA
Robert BortuzzoBlues1y/0.9534UFA
Timothy LiljegrenMaple Leafs1y/1.424RFA
Brayden PachalGolden Knights2y/0.77524
Kaeden KorczakGolden Knights1y/0.78922ELC-RFA
Middle Pair
Chris TanevFlames1y/4.533UFA
Connor MurphyBlackhawks3y/4.43010-NTC
Josh MansonAvalanche3y/4.531NTC
Matt RoyKings1y/3.1528UFA
David SavardCanadiens2y/3.532
Braden SchneiderRangers1y/0.92522ELC-RFA
Justin FaulkBlues4y/6.53115-NTC
Neal PionkJets2y/5.875286-NTC
Dylan DeMeloJets1y/3.0306-NTC
Trevor van RiemsdykCapitals3y/3.032
Top Pair
Brandon CarloBruins4y/4.12610-NTC
Brett BesceHurricanes1y/4.02528UFA
Jacob TroubaRangers3y/8.029NMC

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think hughes has to play with soucy or cole tonight. even if they plan to start with mcward, they have to have a plan c.

which is to say mcward is plan b. they must have had a plan a for the right side before the season started that did not count on mcward emerging. so what happened to that plan? on paper it looked like one of soucy or cole would take the right side and wolanin or brisebois take up the left side slack.

did soucy flunk the audition? if so, why have they not tried cole?

i has a confuse

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
You don’t address this now.

Trading more draft capital now is idiotic
Saw this same mindset unfold last year about this time
Trading draft capital is absolutely if you are actually getting value back.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They said they liked stillman
LOL

He was one of the worst defenceman I have ever seen
Trading now is trading from a point of weakness which this organization had excelled at for a long damn time.

Just take advantage of waivers

even if that was hype and they did it to clear cap alone, they at least held out for an additional asset with enough upside that stillman was tradeable later in the year. same thing with the desmith deal. if it was to move salary, at least they held out for a goalie upgrade.

Reactions: andora

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
In casting around for potential right shot d-men who have decent size are in the 23-24 age range, I settled on Cal Foote. I realize he isn't coming here because of the Canucks coaching situation.

But did you know that the Nashville Predators traded Tanner Jeannot to the Lightning for Cal Foote; a 2023 third round pick; a 2023 fourth round pick; a 2023 fifth round pick; a 2024 second round pick; and a 2025 first round pick, which is top-10 lottery protected.

Pretty obvious the Preds didn't have much interest in Foote, since they let him leave as a UFA. But shiver-me-timbers, why can't the Canucks ever make a deal like that?
Because they rarely draft players worth trading (at least not for any real value).
After watching the preseason, I’m questioning where we replace the 5v5 offense if we dump someone like Garland. This team is not close to be mortgaging futures like we will be to do this
Why the heck are you placing any stock in the farce that is preseason hockey?

You don’t do it now
You’re essentially just admitting you’re desperate when teams are finalizing rosters

This team has had the worst poker face for far too long
Do it in the regular season when it’s an obvious problem?

Do it in the off-season when it’s an obvious problem, but slightly less pressing?

Where exactly is this mythical point where the Canucks are obviously desperate to find a RHD?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Because they rarely draft players worth trading (at least not for any real value).

Why the heck are you placing any stock in the farce that is preseason hockey?

Do it in the regular season when it’s an obvious problem?

Do it in the off-season when it’s an obvious problem, but slightly less pressing?

Where exactly is this mythical point where the Canucks are obviously desperate to find a RHD?

Umm around free agency and July 1st
Not when teams are finalizing rosters

Nothing mythical about it
But this organization does love to back itself into a corner

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I feel any acquisition to play with Quinn needs to have an eye on Willander in the near future. I see a lot of people looking for that mid 20s guy, but we don't want to be building road blocks for our top prospect, who will hopefully be ready at the end of next year's NCAA season.

Focus imo should be finding someone like Luke Schenn that is an established vet and not overly expensive to acquire.

Giving up big assets to acquire a bit ticket piece is imo short sighted and the wrong play. Hughes was awesome with Schenn and Juulsen...find an upgrade on them but don't need to go all in for a Pesce...what does the right side look like in 2 years with another big contract added?

Value and fit over upside imo.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I feel any acquisition to play with Quinn needs to have an eye on Willander in the near future. I see a lot of people looking for that mid 20s guy, but we don't want to be building road blocks for our top prospect, who will hopefully be ready at the end of next year's NCAA season.

Focus imo should be finding someone like Luke Schenn that is an established vet and not overly expensive to acquire.

Giving up big assets to acquire a bit ticket piece is imo short sighted and the wrong play. Hughes was awesome with Schenn and Juulsen...find an upgrade on them but don't need to go all in for a Pesce...what does the right side look like in 2 years with another big contract added?

I disagree here. We can't be penciling a prospect in our lineup under the assumption he will be a fit with Hughes - If he isn't that fit you've just pissed away 3 years and still don't have a solution.

The best idea is finding a competent top 4 defenseman that can play with Hughes for the next 2 years, then you reassess where Willander is developing. If you have a good top 4 dman blocking Willander...good! Good players play their way to minutes and make the most of their opportunities. It would be a good problem to have.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Korczak/Pachal, Barron/Kovacevic, or Peeke would be nice targets.

Schneider would be terrific but I highly doubt NYR move him for anything less than a 1st rounder.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I feel any acquisition to play with Quinn needs to have an eye on Willander in the near future.

I think at this point, given the recent track record, we should not be taking anything for granted when it comes to prospects working out. If we had let's say 3 Willander-calibre prospects on defense I might be inclined to think we have at least one top-four defenseman in the system.

We should probably actually be planning on him not working out.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Looking through the list I put together, I just don't see how a deal can get done. I know one can, I just can't see an obvious path. There's not a lot out there for meaningful upgrades. Lots of depth and bottom-pairing guys but not many that seem like they can play above their station. To get a bigger fish the Canucks just don't have many appealing tradable assets. There's obviously the 1st, Podkolzin, and Hoglander. There's a few decent prospects but other than Silovs and Willander, nothing would move the needle.

Then there's almost no RD on non-contending teams worth looking at and contending teams aren't trading the ones they have. Kind of best you could hope for is to get a Brayden Pachal-esque player where you believe they can step into a higher role immediately without getting killed.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i think hughes has to play with soucy or cole tonight. even if they plan to start with mcward, they have to have a plan c.

which is to say mcward is plan b. they must have had a plan a for the right side before the season started that did not count on mcward emerging. so what happened to that plan? on paper it looked like one of soucy or cole would take the right side and wolanin or brisebois take up the left side slack.

did soucy flunk the audition? if so, why have they not tried cole?

i has a confuse
Even if McWard is listed as Hughes' "partner" on the lineup card, he's hardly going to play with him. McWard (or Juulsen or whoever) will play like less than 12 minutes and Hughes will be playing in all situations.

Hughes is going to rotate through partners depending on the situation and game state.

I disagree here. We can't be penciling a prospect in our lineup under the assumption he will be a fit with Hughes - If he isn't that fit you've just pissed away 3 years and still don't have a solution.

The best idea is finding a competent top 4 defenseman that can play with Hughes for the next 2 years, then you reassess where Willander is developing. If you have a good top 4 dman blocking Willander...good! Good players play their way to minutes and make the most of their opportunities. It would be a good problem to have.
Plus the goal with this team is quite clearly to compete/contend in short order. They need help now, not to even further delay Petey/Demko/Quinn's primes to wait for Willander.

All picks/prospects should be on the table for an upgrade.

Reactions: andora

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Looking through the list I put together, I just don't see how a deal can get done. I know one can, I just can't see an obvious path. There's not a lot out there for meaningful upgrades. Lots of depth and bottom-pairing guys but not many that seem like they can play above their station. To get a bigger fish the Canucks just don't have many appealing tradable assets. There's obviously the 1st, Podkolzin, and Hoglander. There's a few decent prospects but other than Silovs and Willander, nothing would move the needle.

Then there's almost no RD on non-contending teams worth looking at and contending teams aren't trading the ones they have. Kind of best you could hope for is to get a Brayden Pachal-esque player where you believe they can step into a higher role immediately without getting killed.

we could look for a luke schenn solution. alex petrovic is available on waivers.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
we could look for a luke schenn solution. alex petrovic is available on waivers.

I doubt Petrovic would be the target but the basic idea of having a guy play 3rd pairing minutes next to Hughes is a solid plan until a more permanent solution can be found. Management probably hoped Juulsen would be able to handle that role but he's been pretty bad in training camp. That's why a lot of people on this board have been suggesting Andrew Peeke. Good stay-at-home defender that wouldn't actually be asked to do a lot other than defend the rush and get Hughes the puck.

I think another worry about grabbing a guy off waivers that may not be able to hack-it is that if they waive them again to send to Abbotsford, then that adds to the already crowded defence down there.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Canucks should do their due diligence and place Myers on waivers. Unlikely he gets claimed but in the case that Anaheim or Chicago takes him, it at least frees up a ton of cap space to make a move for a RD to play with Hughes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Speaking of Peeke, here's the Blue Jackets final pre-season game roster.

No Peeke. No Boqvist. Blue Jackets are one of the few teams with actual cap space so they can afford to scratch both but do they really want to leave a combined 5.35m in the pressbox? They don't really have room for a Hoglander and Canucks couldn't fit in Peeke without moving out a higher-priced contract.

Reactions: andora and MS

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Ethan Bear
For the acquisition cost, and the cap hit, he’s easily the best fit for this team for now.

Hed be stepping into a spot next to Quinn Hughes which would be ideal for him on a 1 year contract as he looks to hit it big as a UFA next season.

Its a great fit for both sides. The only issue is he’s unavailable until at least mid-December.

Reactions: DFAC

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think at this point, given the recent track record, we should not be taking anything for granted when it comes to prospects working out. If we had let's say 3 Willander-calibre prospects on defense I might be inclined to think we have at least one top-four defenseman in the system.

We should probably actually be planning on him not working out.
Knowing this team's propensity for the inexplicable, chances are they move Willander back to his natural forward position when he gets to the AHL.

Reactions: TruGr1t

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
You don’t do it now
You’re essentially just admitting you’re desperate when teams are finalizing rosters

This team has had the worst poker face for far too long
I dont think it makes a difference.. if we fail for 20 games we are desperate then too

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of Peeke, here's the Blue Jackets final pre-season game roster.

No Peeke. No Boqvist. Blue Jackets are one of the few teams with actual cap space so they can afford to scratch both but do they really want to leave a combined 5.35m in the pressbox? They don't really have room for a Hoglander and Canucks couldn't fit in Peeke without moving out a higher-priced contract.

I'm almost expecting Peeke to be a Canuck this point. Question is how they'd make salaries work. You'd assume Beauvillier with retention?

Reactions: David71 and Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Hmm... if we are to assume that Hronek is part of the team's long term plans (and not playing with Hughes) then I would agree somewhat but at the same time Willander is likely 4-5 years away from realistically handling top pairing duties (3 if he really is a stud). I think you don't worry about Willander and if there is a long term fit for Hughes you do what you reasonably can.

If there is a 26-28 year old player and you can get him for ~4 years on a good contract I think that's good but those are hard to come by.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm almost expecting Peeke to be a Canuck this point. Question is how they'd make salaries work. You'd assume Beauvillier with retention?

Pretty much the only way to make it work. I could actually see a rather big deal of Roslovic & Peeke for Beauvillier & Hoglander with some retention on Roslovic and a pick or prospect going from the Canucks. Roslovic is also a scratch, Canucks called about him last summer, and the Blue Jackets haven’t been happy with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad