Speculation: RFA time! Let's discuss them.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Pardy was my example of bringing in a low cost option on D on a one way even though he may end up making 600 k in the AHL ( where Pardy started last year after training camp). It turned out that was an excellent signing as he provided us with some inexpensive D depth.

White was more of an example of creating competition at training camp. Similar to what the Flyers did with Hall GiLL last year. The Flyers however .....signed Gill at the end of camp and we let White go.

I do think allen and I are are on the same page with Ellerby though and believe he he will be in the mix at the start of the year.

Pardy worked out last year........... I just hope we do not sign a Randy Jones II like player as we did in 2011.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I believe Frolik, O'Dell and Hutch will be back on 1-way deals.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hali or Ellerby returned, but I wouldn't vote to keep em.

This makes sense and covers how I feel. I guess I like Halischuk a bit more than most and don't mind him on the fourth line but I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him go. Ellerby is fun but easily replaceable. Would rather retain Redmond.

Frolik should be a no-brainer and I'd like to see him signed for four years (I only voted for Fro). O'Dell I like and think should be given a shot. Hutch seems not unreasonable to play the back-up role, though would he cost more than $600,001? ;)

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I voted "Any 3 of them", although that wouldn't personally be my choice as armchair GM.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I selected Fro and Wright.

I love Frolik, and really think he will be a big piece of this team going forward.

I also think Chevy has a massive crush on Wright, and will be resigned.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I'll be upset if we have Wright on the roster next year ahead of O'Dell. Our top 6 isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse, we players in the bottom 6 who can bang in a few goals next season.

James Wright had 2 points in 59 games!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I voted Frolik and Ellerby. Frolik is obvious. Ellerby still has potential - worst case they waive him after training camp, which happens all the time.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Pardy was my example of bringing in a low cost option on D on a one way even though he may end up making 600 k in the AHL ( where Pardy started last year after training camp). It turned out that was an excellent signing as he provided us with some inexpensive D depth.

White was more of an example of creating competition at training camp. Similar to what the Flyers did with Hall GiLL last year. The Flyers however .....signed Gill at the end of camp and we let White go.

I do think allen and I are are on the same page with Ellerby though and believe he he will be in the mix at the start of the year.

Speaking of Pardy

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...-14-adam-pardy-winnipeg-jets-free-agent-stats

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Voted Ellerby and Frolik.

Wright's PK ability isn't reason enough to keep him, IMO. I don't even know what Halischuk brings, suffice to say I don't want him anywhere near this roster next year. Ellerby, meh. Sign him to a two-way deal, I'm fine keeping him around as a warm body that can be sent down to St. John's (doubt he'd be claimed, no biggie if he is).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is Ellerby at an age of developing?

BovLQs4IMAA6KXL.jpg:large

Seems to be stagnant or maybe declining even.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Voted Ellerby and Frolik.

Wright's PK ability isn't reason enough to keep him, IMO. I don't even know what Halischuk brings, suffice to say I don't want him anywhere near this roster next year. Ellerby, meh. Sign him to a two-way deal, I'm fine keeping him around as a warm body that can be sent down to St. John's (doubt he'd be claimed, no biggie if he is).

Ellerby was my least favorite Jet last year. Coaches barely iced him and he held no special teams value. I'd personally much rather see the Jets re-sign Pardy. http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...keaton-ellerby-winnipeg-jets-free-agent-stats

Halischuk brings some offense and some PK. Neither is high end, but both are superior to what Wright offered. Perhaps why Wright wasn't killing PIMs to end the year. http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...14-winnipeg-jets-forwards-on-the-penalty-kill

Not saying I'd bring back Hali, but a team could do worse and this one has consistently done worse with Thor and Wright.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yep, but he was pulled off the PK well before that. He was a busy PK guy under Noel, not under PoMo. Got zero PK in a few games. Total ice time dropped by something like 3 minutes a game.

So there's basically 0 chance that Wright gets a QO, unless it's a case of Chevy not wanting an asset to walk. Note that I'm using the term asset loosely.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm thinking Frolik is back on a longer term deal, 4 yrs at around $3.5/yr.

Hutch is back, and likely on a 2 year deal, and is a very strong contender to be the back-up (hopefully #1 by December).

I'm thinking Ellerby is signed, but on a 1 year deal, and likely a waiver casualty if Morrissey sticks. I wouldn't mind Redmond coming back, but I think he likely wants to try his luck with another organization. Not that he hasn't been treated well or fairly, just that the Jets are pretty deep at rh dmen.

Both Hali and Wright need to be upgraded, IMO. I don't want either back, but can see the Jets signing one of them to provide some depth, especially if Thorbs walks (isn't resigned).

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Halischuk brings some offense and some PK. Neither is high end, but both are superior to what Wright offered. Perhaps why Wright wasn't killing PIMs to end the year. http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...14-winnipeg-jets-forwards-on-the-penalty-kill

Not saying I'd bring back Hali, but a team could do worse and this one has consistently done worse with Thor and Wright.

Problem is that Halischuk sucks at even strength. Yes he does provide a bit of offense, but Wright is way better at the traditional responsibility of a bottom-liner (chance suppression) than Hali.

That is interesting to see him up there on the PK stats, and I'm also surprised to see Wright down there on the list. I remember Garret showing some stats (was it CF% 4v5?) that were actually quite flattering for Wright.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Problem is that Halischuk sucks at even strength. Yes he does provide a bit of offense, but Wright is way better at the traditional responsibility of a bottom-liner (chance suppression) than Hali.

That is interesting to see him up there on the PK stats, and I'm also surprised to see Wright down there on the list. I remember Garret showing some stats (was it CF% 4v5?) that were actually quite flattering for Wright.

Mine was larger sample size (2011-14) not just this season and was Corsi% (which is proven as best indicator for future PK success at team level, but uncertain for player yet).

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Wright is horrible at 5 on 5 too. Slightly better shot suppression, less shot creation.

Net difference is marginal IMO.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Wright is horrible at 5 on 5 too. Slightly better shot suppression, less shot creation.

Net difference is marginal IMO.

Wright seems to be a fair bit better at shot suppression:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201314&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=100&teamid=2&type=corsi&sort=A20&sortdir=ASC

Mind you he's playing easier minutes.

Wright also has the bonus of being able to play all three forward positions. In the end, I'm longing for the day when we're not comparing the relative merits of James Wright, Matt Halischuk and Keaton Ellerby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad