Speculation: RFA time! Let's discuss them.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The lack of news out of the Jets camp has me a bit squirrely, so let's start the rampant speculation. The Jets have 4 RFAs that don't have a contract after this season: Frolik, Wright, Halischuk, and Ellerby. Obviously, 1 to 3 of them will likely not be returning for next season. Question is, who?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Frolik is the only one that I want back.
Others I think are replaceable... although Wright's pretty decent on the PK which could be missed.

I agree with you. Frolik is the only one I want back. How does Chevy see it, though? >_>

Edit: I now see that my 'clever song title poll' gives a false impression. It's supposed to mean 'who will stay a Jet beyond this off season'. Could a friendly Mod edit the poll title to reflect that?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Frolik was kinda brought in since him and Pavelec are close, but I say give him a two-year deal at least worth $6M. Ellerby is a great fit with the team as the bottom 6. Wright, we can replace him. Won't be a big loss.

Keep Ellerby and Frolik.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Frolik was kinda brought in since him and Pavelec are close, but I say give him a two-year deal at least worth $6M. Ellerby is a great fit with the team as the bottom 6. Wright, we can replace him. Won't be a big loss.

Keep Ellerby and Frolik.

Frolik and Pavelec being good friends is a nice story for the media, but I'd like to think Chevy brought Frolik in for his excellent 2-way play, his PK ability, and his ability to finish plays off, not because he's best buds with our mascot.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Keep Ellerby and Frolik.

Was Ellerby great? Coaches didn't think so...

defense2.jpg

This is all NHL defenseman between 2007-2012. In the second table I split 3rd pair D in half by games played... essentially pulling out the depth players.

The TOI line between 3rd pair regulars and call-ups is around 13.30 5v5 mins per game. Ellerby averaged 13.35. Looks like coaches barely trusted him more than most team's trust their press-box d-men.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I just voted Frolik as he's the only sure thing, but I know Chevy won't give up on everyone else. Actually, I could see Chevy wanting all four... seeing as they were all his additions. The rest I would rank:

Ellerby - still young and could have potential - depth at D is also nice.
Wright - ideally a 13th forward, who isn't going to cost you when he draws in (unless you need a goal), and solid PKer.
Halischuck - I like the workmanlike efforts, but not sure what he really ads to the team... better goal scorer than Wright?

So when is the deadline to qualify?

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Ellerby can be replaced with Clitsome and one of our young prospects or Redmond.
i don't see it happening.
halischuk was in the doghouse all year. can't see him coming back and he can be replaced internally.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I voted for Frolik. It's time for some additions from our farm system & although all the waiver pickups time in Winnipeg was appreciated, it's time for most if not all of them to go.

Klingberg, O'Dell, Chiarot, Albert, Cormier, Hutchinson & Redmond should all be challenging for what appears to be the open 6 roster spots & each of them are also free agents going into next season. All are RFA's other than UFA Redmond.

Redmond & perhaps Pardy would be the only UFA's I'd sign. Only other variable stopping all 5 skaters from getting a serious chance will hinge on the fate of Burmistrov.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just voted Frolik as he's the only sure thing, but I know Chevy won't give up on everyone else. Actually, I could see Chevy wanting all four... seeing as they were all his additions. The rest I would rank:

Ellerby - still young and could have potential - depth at D is also nice.
Wright - ideally a 13th forward, who isn't going to cost you when he draws in (unless you need a goal), and solid PKer.
Halischuck - I like the workmanlike efforts, but not sure what he really ads to the team... better goal scorer than Wright?

So when is the deadline to qualify?

Name a forward in the NHL that is not a better scorer than Wright... :(

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Frolik is the only one who can consistently play at the NHL level, so he's the only one who should be resigned. This is simple, so I'm counting on Chevy to screw it all up. :laugh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Frolik and Pavelec being good friends is a nice story for the media, but I'd like to think Chevy brought Frolik in for his excellent 2-way play, his PK ability, and his ability to finish plays off, not because he's best buds with our mascot.

Could be. Its partly why LA traded for Carter, or why else people say Copp was drafted to the Jets. Even why Selanne and Kariya signed with Colorado, that and Sakic as well as their contending status.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ellerby is a good fit for a 6.7.8 D-man. You cannot have to much d depth going in to the season. His cost is low and he will get his Qual offer.

Frolik is our most important off seasom RFA/UFA from the Jets 2013-14 team.......... I am hopping 4 yrs at 3-3,25 per year

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What about these guys:

O'Dell
Hutchinson

Both need waivers, but show promise for sticking around

And these guys:

Klingberg
Sol
Chiarot
Albert
Cormier
Pasquale

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I chose Frolik and Ellerby.

Frolik has good two-way play and is valuable to the jets

Ellerby is good as a bottom pairing guy (low cost too)

Here's the thing with ellerby. You only keep him if you think there's no better options out there. If there's a Ufa d man who is slightly better you dump ellerby. Both are going to be dirt cheap so it doesn't matter. Holding on to read status for another year is a poor reason to keep a player.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Here's the thing with ellerby. You only keep him if you think there's no better options out there. If there's a Ufa d man who is slightly better you dump ellerby. Both are going to be dirt cheap so it doesn't matter. Holding on to read status for another year is a poor reason to keep a player.

I disagree ........... You sign the UFA d-man that you believe is slightly better, but you also qualify Ellerby. Bring them both into camp and make the decision then. (similar to what they did with Pardy, Redmond and Ian White last year). You cannot have to much depth on D-fence and the extra competition in camp will be beneficial.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
We never signed white, it was a tryout. Clearly I was talking about making a choice. Both players would require a 1 way contract.

That being said I do think we will retain ellerby.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Name a forward in the NHL that is not a better scorer than Wright... :(

Only worse players in goals per minute between 2011-2014 with 750+ mins:
Colton Gilles
Tom Kostopoulous
Eric Belanger
John Scott
Anton Lander
Marty Reasoner

That is all.

If you do points instead of goals it's only: Jerred Smithson, Aaron Volpatti, Anton Lander, Zenon Konopka, John Scott.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
We never signed white, it was a tryout. Clearly I was talking about making a choice. Both players would require a 1 way contract.

That being said I do think we will retain ellerby.

Pardy was my example of bringing in a low cost option on D on a one way even though he may end up making 600 k in the AHL ( where Pardy started last year after training camp). It turned out that was an excellent signing as he provided us with some inexpensive D depth.

White was more of an example of creating competition at training camp. Similar to what the Flyers did with Hall GiLL last year. The Flyers however .....signed Gill at the end of camp and we let White go.

I do think allen and I are are on the same page with Ellerby though and believe he he will be in the mix at the start of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00