RFA Results

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
since the trade happened before it was announced that Hale was signed to an offer sheet, wouldnt it make it my responsibility to match the offer.. like when Bernier was traded only to recieve an offer sheet 48 hours after this is the same thing with hale except instead of 48 hours it was more like 6?

David Hale/Brandon Crombeen deal was approved at 11:29am ET on Wednesday July 17th

David Hale's offer sheet became official at 4:10pm ET on Wednesday July 17th

wouldn't that deem the trade official by league officials since he was moved 4 hours and 41 minutes before his offer sheet was made by Carolina?

If so Phoenix matches Carolina's offer.. i think it should at the very least be discussed because the trade was made official by the league before the offer sheet was signed, the exact same thing happened to Bernier.

If the deal was in fact confirmed by both General Managers, then yes, it could go through. Forward the correspondance to Reggie and we'll discuss internally.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Here's a question to you Rob: Clearly year after year Buffalo, New Jersey, Tampa and now Florida put up strong competitive teams and finish at or near the top of the league while your team may not do as well and while competitive is fairly middle of the pack. Why even bother then? If your just going to be a middle of the pack team what's the point in it? Shouldn't you by say December stop submitting lines, quit making trades and what not? You've already been beaten so what's the point of doing it?

Guys in the league would then call you Auto-line Robb cause clearly half his team is injured and the poor sim guy has to submit lines for you like he's your *****...i mean AGM. (sorry Matt). Every year the Blues hand it to the Western Conference...maybe we should all take the "SMART APPROACH" and fold it in too.

Or maybe every poker player who has a losing hand should fold it in because they are down to a 10 per cent chance and they may not hit that card on the river. Have you heard of any given Sunday? Well on any given Sunday L.A may have not taken that deal. But yeah your right it's a stupid offer and you have every opportunity to sit at your computer and rip apart every GM and flame them for making an atempt. Yes we are all ****ing stupid. But we enjoy it. We get a kick out of participating unlike some who fold up like a cheap suit year after year come December when they are out of it

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Well, for one, it puts the matching team in a position where the player can't be traded to any team other than the team that makes the offer. So in effect, the offering team gets full trade negotiating rights for that player if the matching team is willing to deal him at some point in the season. There are benefits to it.

ok, this is a reason I can buy ... adds tremendous value to the process ... i stand corrected.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Here's a question to you Rob: Clearly year after year Buffalo, New Jersey, Tampa and now Florida put up strong competitive teams and finish at or near the top of the league while your team may not do as well and while competitive is fairly middle of the pack. Why even bother then? If your just going to be a middle of the pack team what's the point in it? Shouldn't you by say December stop submitting lines, quit making trades and what not? You've already been beaten so what's the point of doing it?

Guys in the league would then call you Auto-line Robb cause clearly half his team is injured and the poor sim guy has to submit lines for you like he's your *****...i mean AGM. (sorry Matt). Every year the Blues hand it to the Western Conference...maybe we should all take the "SMART APPROACH" and fold it in too.

Or maybe every poker player who has a losing hand should fold it in because they are down to a 10 per cent chance and they may not hit that card on the river. Have you heard of any given Sunday? Well on any given Sunday L.A may have not taken that deal. But yeah your right it's a stupid offer and you have every opportunity to sit at your computer and rip apart every GM and flame them for making an atempt. Yes we are all ****ing stupid. But we enjoy it. We get a kick out of participating unlike some who fold up like a cheap suit year after year come December when they are out of it

no i dont get your point ... i finished ahead of the Florida team and right behind the Devils in the standings. who says fold up your tent?

anyhow, clearly i hit a nerve and i shouldnt have used the word stupid.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
First off Detroit will not be matching McClement. Heck he was offered in trade for a 3rd rounder on draft day a month ago and you could have signed him for less than 2 million. Will I take a 2nd rounder? Duh ... yes!

As for the rest I guess I'm throwing gas on the fire here but I thought offer sheets would only be accepted if they were reasonably high for the player. The reason for that was we had some suspected collusion a few years back with a particular GM submitting low QO offers that would be matched to help buddies out. Not suggesting this is the case but I confess the Hale offer in particular looked ridiculously low to have been accepted given my perception on what would have been an acceptable RFA offer sheet.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
First off Detroit will not be matching McClement. Heck he was offered in trade for a 3rd rounder on draft day a month ago and you could have signed him for less than 2 million. Will I take a 2nd rounder? Duh ... yes!

As for the rest I guess I'm throwing gas on the fire here but I thought offer sheets would only be accepted if they were reasonably high for the player. The reason for that was we had some suspected collusion a few years back with a particular GM submitting low QO offers that would be matched to help buddies out. Not suggesting this is the case but I confess the Hale offer in particular looked ridiculously low to have been accepted given my perception on what would have been an acceptable RFA offer sheet.

I don't have a problem per se with Hale accepting the offer sheet despite the lowball offer but your point is a good one.

My argument is that at 660K there is no reasonable way the GM wouldn't match especially since they get NO compensation in return - that indication is pretty clear when the GM bothered to qualify the player that they thought he wasn't worth letting the player became a UFA.

Last year I did let several minor leaguers become UFA's and then re-signed them to league minimum one year deals. I qualified those players this year because they made NHL debuts this past season. Sean's point about exclusive negotiating rights makes sense - but since Hale has been on the trade block for months and Dion's never made one approach I doubt thats the reason. Besides - now I'm po'd and there is no way I'd trade him to you Mr. AC. :p:

I'm hoping the league sides with Ryan in that the trade was completed before the RFA announcement and it doesn't affect Dion - he just has exclusive negotiating rights with a different GM since Ryan or I will both match the Hale outcome no matter the result of the leagues decision. In fact given my :rant: mood over it he might even have more luck with Ryan than me in negotiating a trade. ;)

Who knew that David Hale would become the most desired and fought over player this free agency?

And I'm not disputing the RFA process. It's kinda fun when we have the same disputes as the NHL. I have been both a loser and winner in the past. I lost Kovalchuk et al but I got Iginla that way the following year.

Even this year it's played out very well in this case over Mlilan Jurcina. I didn't feel he as worth a whole big chunk of salary as my 7th Dman - but I couldn't drum up much interest in trade talk - especially not a 2nd rounder. Now the bar has been set and it's not as high as I might have expected. I have an interesting choice to make whether I choose to match or not, or to try to trade to Greg at a different value. I feel like the process worked for me much in the way Robb alluded to with the contracts he's been able to get for his RFA's in the past.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Guys in the league would then call you Auto-line Robb cause clearly half his team is injured and the poor sim guy has to submit lines for you like he's your *****...i mean AGM. (sorry Matt).

Not that I really want to step into this dispute... but I must defend Robb in that both he and his AGM regularly submitted lines this past season and that the Pens were easily in the top 15 amongst GM's who did submit. There are far more GM's worthy of the Auto-Line title or worse the total non-submission of lines titles during my tenure as Sim dude.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
If the deal was in fact confirmed by both General Managers, then yes, it could go through. Forward the correspondance to Reggie and we'll discuss internally.

Forwarded. And not only did both GM's confirm but I believe that even Claudio's approval came several hours before the announcement of RFA's.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Not that I really want to step into this dispute... but I must defend Robb in that both he and his AGM regularly submitted lines this past season and that the Pens were easily in the top 15 amongst GM's who did submit. There are far more GM's worthy of the Auto-Line title or worse the total non-submission of lines titles during my tenure as Sim dude.

Well it was you who gave him the title of Auto-line Robb. Look it up its there in the forums.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Well it was you who gave him the title of Auto-line Robb. Look it up its there in the forums.

I know - it was just a jibe when I called him that - based on his previous performance. Wanted to set the record straight about this past season that's all.

Brent Burns Beard