RFA Results

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
RESTRICTED FREE AGENT OFFER SHEETS
TEAM PLAYER PREV SALARY TERM COMP
Chic Cam Ward LA $3,500,000 4 Los Angeles has 7 days to match or they receive Chic 2009 1st, and TWO 2nd round picks
Car Jay McClement Det $2,000,000 1 Detroit has 7 days to match or receive a 2009 2nd rd Pick
Minn Milan Jurcina Calgary $1,950,000 3 Carolina has 7 days to match or receive a Minnesota 2009 2nd rd Pick
Car David Hale Calgary $ 660,000 1 Calgary has 7 days to match - no compensation
Car Mathieu Roy NJ $ 660,000 1 New Jersey has 7 days to match - no compensation
Car Matt Jones Atl $ 660,000 1 Atlanta has 7 days to match - no compensation
Tor Tim Connolly Phil $2,000,000 1 Philadelphia has 7 days to match or receive a 2009 2nd rd Pick
Edm Hannu Toivonen EDM $1,000,000 1 Resigned with the Oilers
Edm Travis Moen EDM $ 900,000 2 Resigned with the Oilers

Of note, Chicago petitioned to replace a 3rd round pick with a 2nd round pick as part of their compensation package for Ward (given they have multiple 2nd's, but no 3rd) and this was accepted. Los Angeles would ultimately have their choice of the two 2nd round picks they preferred (Chicago has three), but that decision would have to be made now (which will of course, offend one of Chicago, Calgary or Philadelphia).

The following restricted free agents are going to a 2nd round of bidding and listed is the best offer to date. Unlike UFA’s, all teams are free to bid on these players in a 2nd round, however, if no increase in offer is forth coming, the player will show preference to one of the teams who made an offer in round 1 (listed):

Trevor Daly, 1 year x $2 million (NY Islanders, Atlanta and Toronto)
Stephen Weiss, 1 year x $2 million (Toronto, Chicago)

Dennis Wideman, Aaron Johnson, Jannick Hansen, Alex Tanguay, Josh Gorges, Jussi Jokinen and Martin Havlat, all received offers, but they were either deemed too low, or were conditional, so the player could not sign them.

General Managers are encouraged to submit new offers to any and all of these players during the 2nd round of bidding.

Regards,

Swingstein & Sons

Last edited:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Toivonen had signed in Europe, so I'm not sure how that'll work. We'll have to make sure this deal is archived for when (if) he makes his return to the NHL.

ThrashersGM

Dec 14, 2006
What happened to Ryan Kesler?

The Thrashers Match Carolina's offer on Matt Jones.

Thanks,
Ryan

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Minn Milan Jurcina Calgary $1,950,000 3 Carolina has 7 days to match or receive a Minnesota 2009 2nd rd Pick
Carolina does not have the rights to Milan Jurcina. He was traded to Calgary at the deadline just past as part of the Sergei Brylin deal. However, if it was me and my situation, I would not match the offer. :naughty:

Originally Posted by HFNHL Flames
Calgary has matched the Hale offer with the intent to solidify the trade with PHX.

Sorry, you can't trade a player whose offer sheet you've matched.

Can someone say three way deal.

Stephen Weiss, 1 year x $2 million (Toronto, Chicago)

Carolina matches offer. I await who I shall be dealing with.

What happened to Ryan Kesler?

Resigned by Ottawa

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Carolina does not have the rights to Milan Jurcina. He was traded to Calgary at the deadline just past as part of the Sergei Brylin deal. However, if it was me and my situation, I would not match the offer. :naughty:

Seriously though. What's the point of giving players like Hale an offer sheet that is only 165K more than his QO? You KNOW that the GM will match (and already all 3 of those offers have been matched.) All you end up doing is screwing the GM's so they can't trade the player.

Can someone say three way deal.

No thanks. I'll keep Hale. It's really Phoenix that gets screwed as they've been decimated by defections and are in need of NHL D-men. I'll let Ryan bring out the wiffle bat.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
i think the GM's who made are RFA offers are *** stupid.... whats the damn point? not one of those offers is enough to not be matched, so why bother?

whatever, didnt effect me and in fact i benefited greatly by the stupid 5 year 2.8m offer to Richards.

dumb dumb dumb

Default101

Sorry, you can't trade a player whose offer sheet you've matched.

since the trade happened before it was announced that Hale was signed to an offer sheet, wouldnt it make it my responsibility to match the offer.. like when Bernier was traded only to recieve an offer sheet 48 hours after this is the same thing with hale except instead of 48 hours it was more like 6?

David Hale/Brandon Crombeen deal was approved at 11:29am ET on Wednesday July 17th

David Hale's offer sheet became official at 4:10pm ET on Wednesday July 17th

wouldn't that deem the trade official by league officials since he was moved 4 hours and 41 minutes before his offer sheet was made by Carolina?

If so Phoenix matches Carolina's offer.. i think it should at the very least be discussed because the trade was made official by the league before the offer sheet was signed, the exact same thing happened to Bernier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
i think the GM's who made are RFA offers are *** stupid.... whats the damn point? not one of those offers is enough to not be matched, so why bother?

whatever, didnt effect me and in fact i benefited greatly by the stupid 5 year 2.8m offer to Richards.

dumb dumb dumb

anything you say tough guy

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

dumb dumb dumb

Well, I disagree with you. I think it makes the GM realize that many of these players are worth more than what they are offering. For, example, Can Ward offer from LA was much lower than what he was offered as a free agent and Connolly was offered a $1.2M and the GM would pay a cent more and now Flyers have a decision to make with offer sheet of $2M or take 2nd. If your intention is to keep your players than why not offer a decent contract than let them fall under RFA and be at mercy of other teams.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
cam ward's nhl salary this year 2.5 mil...next year 3.5 mil. my bank roll affoards me the chance at offering 3.5 mil. it was both fiscally responsible and a shot at putting a goalie on my team for 4 years. Would I like to have offerred more?...sure...could I? No.

It worked for my team. Did I fully expect L.A. to match?...of course I did. Who wouldn't? That's why there are outstanding offers to UFA goalies out there just in case. But of course I'm just dumb. and wouldn't think of that. Hell maybe I should be dumb enough to never submit lines and sit on the wayside all year long and throw cheap shot comments out every now and then. Perhaps I've been looking at this league the wrong way all these years and should take the smart approach and throw money around like the big spender smart guy that you are. Yeah thats what i'll do. Right.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
cam ward's nhl salary this year 2.5 mil...next year 3.5 mil. my bank roll affoards me the chance at offering 3.5 mil. it was both fiscally responsible and a shot at putting a goalie on my team for 4 years. Would I like to have offerred more?...sure...could I? No.

It worked for my team. Did I fully expect L.A. to match?...of course I did. Who wouldn't? That's why there are outstanding offers to UFA goalies out there just in case. But of course I'm just dumb. and wouldn't think of that. Hell maybe I should be dumb enough to never submit lines and sit on the wayside all year long and throw cheap shot comments out every now and then. Perhaps I've been looking at this league the wrong way all these years and should take the smart approach and throw money around like the big spender smart guy that you are. Yeah thats what i'll do. Right.

this wasnt supposed to be a flame war mate ...

i think its dumb because you knew it would be matched, so why bother?

and your comment about lines and sitting on the side all year? ***? my lines were submitted, i made deals, i signed contracts and I attended the draft. i am not sure what your comment is supposed to mean or what more I would have to do to be entitled to make a comment about the league.

oh and since when i have i signed big UFA deals either?

back to the topic ... did the RFA offer to Ward work?
and for the record, the Ward offer was the closest to making sense anyhow .. at least the compensation might make the GM think twice. however, i have been hit twice before for RFA offers and they were two of the best contracts my players ever signed (in my favour). so maybe my perspective is skewed, but they dont work very often in this league.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
well then thats the whole point is it not...there is only one way to find out. Am I the GM of L.A? Do I know how much he values Ward or not? Maybe the compensation was enough for him? Maybe not? But at the end of the day he has paid a price for not resigning his player and is going to do so for Jokinen and others as well. Besides the compensation wasn't that much for me to begin with. Someone has to sign Tanguay at some point don't they? It's a question of having enough money in the bank to make an outlandish Kevin Lowe type offer or not. You must be a Leaf fan and think signing Finger was ok at that crazy price tag.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
since the trade happened before it was announced that Hale was signed to an offer sheet, wouldnt it make it my responsibility to match the offer.. like when Bernier was traded only to recieve an offer sheet 48 hours after this is the same thing with hale except instead of 48 hours it was more like 6?

David Hale/Brandon Crombeen deal was approved at 11:29am ET on Wednesday July 17th

David Hale's offer sheet became official at 4:10pm ET on Wednesday July 17th

wouldn't that deem the trade official by league officials since he was moved 4 hours and 41 minutes before his offer sheet was made by Carolina?

If so Phoenix matches Carolina's offer.. i think it should at the very least be discussed because the trade was made official by the league before the offer sheet was signed, the exact same thing happened to Bernier.

Well, the Bernier case is clearly different from this one. Bernier was traded on the 4th of July and the offer sheet was signed on the 8th of July. That´s 4 days after the trade and the Blues had most likely not made the offer to Bernier before that trade, unlike in this case, where the offer was sent in atleast 5 days earlier and probably had been accepted before the trade was confirmed. The fact that the offer sheet was made public 4 hours later doesn´t mean that it wasn´t signed earlier. I´d see it more as a summary of the RFA signings.

ThrashersGM

Dec 14, 2006
Personnally I think the Hale deal should stand. It was made before the contracts were announced and with the knowledge that he was an RFA. It should be the team who received Hale who has to match his contract.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

and your comment about lines and sitting on the side all year? ***? my lines were submitted, i made deals, i signed contracts and I attended the draft. i am not sure what your comment is supposed to mean or what more I would have to do to be entitled to make a comment about the league.

and for the record, the Ward offer was the closest to making sense anyhow .. at least the compensation might make the GM think twice. however, i have been hit twice before for RFA offers and they were two of the best contracts my players ever signed (in my favour). so maybe my perspective is skewed, but they dont work very often in this league.

Well, for one, it puts the matching team in a position where the player can't be traded to any team other than the team that makes the offer. So in effect, the offering team gets full trade negotiating rights for that player if the matching team is willing to deal him at some point in the season. There are benefits to it.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Seriously though. What's the point of giving players like Hale an offer sheet that is only 165K more than his QO? You KNOW that the GM will match (and already all 3 of those offers have been matched.) All you end up doing is screwing the GM's so they can't trade the player.

Thats the risk GMs take by letting players go to RFA.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

They don't work often, but they have worked for some pretty big names out there.... Kovalchuk, Luongo...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

I'm not sure how far back your memory goes, but it doesn't have to be a long one to realize that several RFA offer sheets have not been matched and the team has accepted compensation. While I'm not surprised L.A. matched, I wouldn't have been shocked if they accepted the considerable compensation either. I think it was a reasonable gambit by Chicago with nothing lost.

As for the lower offers, you never know when a GM will be a sleep at the wheel and not match one of the lower deals.

And really, I'm not going to go calling people stupid, but if it is anyone it is the GM's who didn't offer their player a fair deal, saw them sign an offer sheet higher than they could have signed the player, and now they can't trade him.

Now they are paying the player more and are locked into a no-movemebnt deal for a year. Now THAT, is a miscalculation at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad