RFA Contract Offers

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Sounds good, thanks Hasnain.

I do think the 1 year vs. 4 year depends on the player. A 24-year old RFA on the way up is different than a 27 year old who has been up and down for a few years. For example I would match 1 year for Jeff Taffe, but being locked in for four years at almost 1M (even if in the minors) is not very appealing. Paying a guy like Taffe for four years until he's 30 to be a taxi squad guy at that price is robbery by Taffe's agents.

That's not the case with a guy like Steckel though, so you're entirely right. RFA offers are this neat exercise where you have to balance the player's interest and the team (who holds his rights) disinterest. What is most likely to get Jeff Taffe committed to an offer sheet is not necessarily the same thing that makes me most likely NOT to match. It's fun.

Sean you know too well that you can move a player quite easily under our league....so it won't be diffuclt to move Taffe at all at $1M.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Swingstein Family would like to formally invite Mr. Dion for dinner...made us a lot of money...will probably push GM to act quick and sign their players before they hit the market.:D

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well in response to the annual annoyance from Carolina with their RFA offers Detroit does the following:
(i) Matches Tjordman
(ii) Does not match Jared Ross
(iii) Swears it will monitor every Carolina trade to make sure it does not move a single one of these unmatched guys during the coming season.

Do it, Do it, call him an *******:sarcasm::D

I smell a Burke/Lowe feud!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
get two other GM's those are already taken

damn straight! and good to see you stay out of it this year!

speaking of downright stupid, is this a joke?

Cody McCormick Bufallo Carolina $990,000X1
Dave Steckel Torono Carolina $990,000X1
David Hale Phoenixt Carolina 990,000X1
Derek Meech New York Rangers Carolina 990,000X1
Dmitri Kalinin Boston Carolina 990,000X1
Drew Larman Toronto Carolina 990,000X1
Drew Miller Washington Carolina 990,000X1
Hannu Toivinen Edmonton Carolina 990,000X1
Jared Ross Detroit Carolina 990,000X1
Jeff Woywitka Phoenix Carolina 990,000X1
Jeremy Williams Los Angeles Carolina 990,000X1
Jim Slater New York Rangers Carolina 990,000X1
Joseph Craab Toronto Carolina 990,000X1
Josh Tordjman Detroit Carolina 990,000X1
Peter Harrold Los Angeles Carolina 990,000X1

not that this is any better ...

Brent Seabrook Philadelphia Tampa $3,012,000X4
Rich Paverly San Jose Tampa $1,505,000X4
Boyd Gordon Bufallo Tampa $993,900X4
Marek Schwarz Toronto Tampa $993,900X4
Tomas Kopecky NY Islanders Tampa $993,900X4

maybe I just dont get it and my colleagues in CRL and TBY are on the cutting edge, but how is this at all a) productive or b) realistic?

there might be 1 maybe 2 RFA offers a season accross the entire NHL and here we have one GM making 15 offers? sorry to call you out Dion, but in my opinion this makes a joke out of our league.

Seriously embaressing if you ask me.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
maybe I just dont get it and my colleagues in CRL and TBY are on the cutting edge, but how is this at all a) productive or b) realistic?

If its a tactical move to just make everyone else in the league struggle to meet the cap or to just further drive the league's GM's into financial trouble.. then good move by CAR.

I know its within the 'rights' of each GM to put in RFA offers... but jeez... At least TBL's under 900K, no compensation offers were real contract offers for 4 years each.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
speaking of downright stupid, is this a joke?

there might be 1 maybe 2 RFA offers a season across the entire NHL and here we have one GM making 15 offers? sorry to call you out Dion, but in my opinion this makes a joke out of our league.

Seriously embaressing if you ask me.

The lack of RFA offer sheets in the NHL is an embarrassment to *that* league, I think, not the other way around. They negotiated this element of the CBA, and precious few teams use it, largely, it seems, due to pressure from the other GMs and Board of Governors (i.e. collusion). But it's a perfectly legitimate, legal strategy for a) acquiring additional assets, and b) pressuring other teams financially.

For my part, I'm not interested in giving up pick compensation, at least not right now, but I've made RFA offers in the past, and no doubt I will again.

In a similar vein, people thought the Isles were nuts for signing DiPietro to a 15-year contract. Now several teams are using these contracts to lock in their core players to cap-friendly deals. So just because it's not common in the NHL doesn't make it a joke.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The compensation for having an RFA signed away at 990k is a third round pick in the 2010 draft, correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
no

OFFER -- COMPENSATION
• Up to $994,000 - No compensation
• $994,000 to $1,506,000 million - One 3rd round draft pick
• $1,506,000 to $3,013,000 million - One second round pick
• $3,013,000 to $4,520,000 million - One 1st and one 3rd round pick
• $4,520,000 to $6,026,000 million - One 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
• $6,026,000 to $7,533,000 million - Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
• Over $7.533.000 million - Four 1st round picks

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Based on history, the no comp offers are basically meant to catch a team potentially sleeping at the wheel. You make 12 offers, and one team fails to match due to schedule problem, forgetting the deadline or just a brain lapse. It's not a bad idea from a pure tactical perspective, although the politics are another matter. Some of these players teams probably forgot they were even RFA's.

The one thing I would say about these preliminary offers is some might be reviewed before being 'officially' signed, particularly if the deal is below market value (although most are above). I'm sure Seabrooke might go after his agent for signing that offer sheet given it is less than his NHL pay and goes well into his UFA years :)

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well in response to the annual annoyance from Carolina with their RFA offers Detroit does the following:
(i) Matches Tjordman
(ii) Does not match Jared Ross
(iii) Swears it will monitor every Carolina trade to make sure it does not move a single one of these unmatched guys during the coming season.

This is the first time I've put in multiple RFA offers of this magnitude. Well Drew, I'm sorry that I overpaid for Jay McClement last year. Also for those that don't know, before there was Dryden and Robb. Drew and I were bestest buddies. :naughty:

Drew I say bring it. :D

Based on history, the no comp offers are basically meant to catch a team potentially sleeping at the wheel. You make 12 offers, and one team fails to match due to schedule problem, forgetting the deadline or just a brain lapse. It's not a bad idea from a pure tactical perspective, although the politics are another matter. Some of these players teams probably forgot they were even RFA's.
But it's a perfectly legitimate, legal strategy for a) acquiring additional assets, and b) pressuring other teams financially.

Totally did it for these reason.

Swingstein Family would like to formally invite Mr. Dion for dinner...made us a lot of money...will probably push GM to act quick and sign their players before they hit the market.

The Mandarin please... I hear the food there is awesome!!!!

To all naysayers.... AM I DOING ANYTHING AGAINST THE RULES BY OFFERING THIS MANY OFFER SHEETS??? :help:

Default101

This is the first time I've put in multiple RFA offers of this magnitude. Well Drew, I'm sorry that I overpaid for Jay McClement last year. Also for those that don't know, before there was Dryden and Robb. Drew and I were bestest buddies. :naughty:

Drew I say bring it. :D

Totally did it for these reason.

The Mandarin please... I hear the food there is awesome!!!!

To all naysayers.... AM I DOING ANYTHING AGAINST THE RULES BY OFFERING THIS MANY OFFER SHEETS??? :help:

LOL you're not doing anythin against the rules, but if you look at it from the other side, you could understand the frustration.. but thats why i only gave my one liner that "i think Carolina will be pissing off multiple teams" There's no uproar just a few people are going to be frustrated that all their guys that are under a million in the NHL will now be right at 1mil, it's tough to hold down the cap like that for some teams.. but you yourself need to do whats best for your team, so harm, no foul.

Brent Burns Beard