RFA Contract Offers

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The following players have signed the dotted line and the team that own their right has been given 5 days to respond. The deadline Friday Midnight...please check the free agent string for compensation:

Player Name: Team Owned Offered by: Contract
Paul Stasny Edmonton Philadelphia $5,500,000X4
Travis Zajac Montreal NY Islanders $4,520,000X4
Denis Grebeshkov Carolina Edmonton $3,012,000X4
Dustin Byfuglien St Louis Philadelphia $3,012,000X4
Brent Seabrook Philadelphia Tampa $3,012,000X4
Pierre-Marc Bouchard New York Rangers Philadelphia $3.012,000X4
Tim Gleason Philadelphia Detroit $2,750,000X4
Brian Elliot Philadelphia Dallas $1,506,0000X2
Ryan O'Byrne Montreal Atlanta $1,500,000X4
Rich Paverly San Jose Tampa $1,505,000X4
Boyd Gordon Bufallo Tampa $993,900X4
Marek Schwarz Toronto Tampa $993,900X4
Ryan Shannon Los Angeles Vancouver 993,900X4
Tomas Kopecky NY Islanders Tampa $993,900X4
Cody McCormick Bufallo Carolina $990,000X1
Dave Steckel Toronto Carolina $990,000X1
David Hale Phoenix Carolina 990,000X1
Derek Meech New York Rangers Carolina 990,000X1
Dmitri Kalinin Boston Carolina 990,000X1
Drew Larman Toronto Carolina 990,000X1
Drew Miller Washington Carolina 990,000X1
Hannu Toivinen Edmonton Carolina 990,000X1
Jared Ross Detroit Carolina 990,000X1
Jeff Woywitka Phoenix Carolina 990,000X1
Jeremy Williams Los Angeles Carolina 990,000X1
Jim Slater New York Rangers Carolina 990,000X1
Joseph Craab Toronto Carolina 990,000X1
Josh Tordjman Detroit Carolina 990,000X1
Peter Harrold Los Angeles Carolina 990,000X1
Andy Hilbert Dallas Florida 975000X1

Last edited:

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Montreal will match the Islanders offer to Zajac.

Also, O'Byrne is Phoenix's property. One other thing, I offered Dave Steckel an identical offer as Carolina, is there a reason why Steckel signed with Carolina instead of Montreal?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
The following players have signed the dotted line and the team that own their right has been given 5 days to respond. The deadline Friday Midnight...please check the free agent string for compensation:

Denis Grebeshkov Carolina Edmonton $3,102,000X4

I know it was a typo, but just so it's clear when it comes time for Carolina to make their decision, my offer to Grebeshkov was for $3,012,000 x 4 years. $3,102,000 would bump it into the next comp bracket and I wouldn't want that to become an issue.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Montreal will match the Islanders offer to Zajac.

Also, O'Byrne is Phoenix's property. One other thing, I offered Dave Steckel an identical offer as Carolina, is there a reason why Steckel signed with Carolina instead of Montreal?

No there is no particular reason why he signed with Carolina....there was another contract with the same amount but for two years....Steckel at the moment preferred a shorter term contract and I had to choose one. We could have had 2nd round bidding but I don't see either of your team going higher and paying a compensation.

One other thing, there are 30 teams and some teams have a list close to 50 or more players...so I need to move things fast otherwise we will be here for next few weeks...there will be some teams that will be upset but I am doing the best I can and trying to be fair.

As for Zajac, there were two exactly same offers but mine was 1st preference while Phily had Zajac as his 2nd preference so I went with mine.....that is how I am working so I hope you understand....no hard feelings.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I know it was a typo, but just so it's clear when it comes time for Carolina to make their decision, my offer to Grebeshkov was for $3,012,000 x 4 years. $3,102,000 would bump it into the next comp bracket and I wouldn't want that to become an issue.

Yes it is a typo...I believe the compensation is 2nd rd pick

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Man here I was thinking I was going to get a 1st and 3rd for Grebs...

Anyways... Carolina matches offer for Grebeskhov...

Default101

Phoenix will match the offer to Jeff Woywitka

Phoenix will come back.. likely in the next 2 days with answers for David Hale and Ryan O'Byrne..

Looks like Carolina is making things difficult for multiple teams lol.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Blues match the offer for Bubba. Saw this one coming, but not much I can do given that's what he makes in the NHL. At least it wasn't for one year.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The Rangers would like to match the offers on all three of their RFA's:

Let me know if you need email confirmation as well.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
The Rangers would like to match the offers on all three of their RFA's:

Let me know if you need email confirmation as well.

No need for confirmation...will pick up from here on Friday Midnight.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Quick question Hasnain ... was my RFA offer for Kobasew considered too low for him to take? I had that one prioritized over the Gleason offer and I didn't see any other Kobasew offers on this list so was just wondering.

Thanks for all you've been doing especially in light of some GM's like me sending offers pretty close to the cutoff.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Quick question Hasnain ... was my RFA offer for Kobasew considered too low for him to take? I had that one prioritized over the Gleason offer and I didn't see any other Kobasew offers on this list so was just wondering.

Thanks for all you've been doing especially in light of some GM's like me sending offers pretty close to the cutoff.

Kobasaw has another offer on the table waiting for this round to be completed....offer was similar to yours so I decided to put your Gleason offer in left Kobosew for next round.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Just a quick question, for future reference mostly. With RFA offer sheets, if there were more than one for a certain player at the same rate, how did the final signed offer sheet get decided? Is it a lottery, or were secondary considerations (ice-time for example) taken in to account? And were offers in the $990,000 to $993,900 range considered to be the same?

I only ask because I slapped a couple guys with $993,900 offer sheets for four years, and I see them up there with $990,000 for one year. I'm not complaining because I figured I wouldn't be alone, and did not expect to have the winning bid on all my offer sheets (even as first priorities), I'm just curious about the process is all. :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I only ask because I slapped a couple guys with $993,900 offer sheets for four years, and I see them up there with $990,000 for one year. I'm not complaining because I figured I wouldn't be alone, and did not expect to have the winning bid on all my offer sheets (even as first priorities), I'm just curious about the process is all. :)

I can't speak for Hasnain's process, but if I were an RFA, I'd almost certainly rather sign a 1-year eal at $990,000 than a 4-year deal, if I thought I had any chance of improving my performance and earning a better contract in subsequent summers... particularly if that 4-year deal would have locked me in past my UFA qualification age.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Well in response to the annual annoyance from Carolina with their RFA offers Detroit does the following:
(i) Matches Tjordman
(ii) Does not match Jared Ross
(iii) Swears it will monitor every Carolina trade to make sure it does not move a single one of these unmatched guys during the coming season.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I can't speak for Hasnain's process, but if I were an RFA, I'd almost certainly rather sign a 1-year eal at $990,000 than a 4-year deal, if I thought I had any chance of improving my performance and earning a better contract in subsequent summers... particularly if that 4-year deal would have locked me in past my UFA qualification age.

Agreed. I put in a 4 year offer for Steckel but it makes perfect sense that he takes a 1 year deal with the shot for more money sooner rather than locking up for 4 years.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Just a quick question, for future reference mostly. With RFA offer sheets, if there were more than one for a certain player at the same rate, how did the final signed offer sheet get decided? Is it a lottery, or were secondary considerations (ice-time for example) taken in to account? And were offers in the $990,000 to $993,900 range considered to be the same?

I looked at what would be in the best interest of a player...if the guy is rotting in the minors...he is better off taking a one year deal. Once he has made his name in the NHL, he will have the bargaining power to negotiate a higher contract. Also, the team has to offer at least the same amount as QO next year to retain his service...so there is no loss here other than if the player retires or has no shot of making the NHL...in this case the team will probably release him and he will lose on the remaining years of the contract.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I looked at what would be in the best interest of a player...if the guy is rotting in the minors...he is better off taking a one year deal. Once he has made his name in the NHL, he will have the bargaining power to negotiate a higher contract. Also, the team has to offer at least the same amount as QO next year to retain his service...so there is no loss here other than if the player retires or has no shot of making the NHL...in this case the team will probably release him and he will lose on the remaining years of the contract.

Sounds good, thanks Hasnain.

I do think the 1 year vs. 4 year depends on the player. A 24-year old RFA on the way up is different than a 27 year old who has been up and down for a few years. For example I would match 1 year for Jeff Taffe, but being locked in for four years at almost 1M (even if in the minors) is not very appealing. Paying a guy like Taffe for four years until he's 30 to be a taxi squad guy at that price is robbery by Taffe's agents.

That's not the case with a guy like Steckel though, so you're entirely right. RFA offers are this neat exercise where you have to balance the player's interest and the team (who holds his rights) disinterest. What is most likely to get Jeff Taffe committed to an offer sheet is not necessarily the same thing that makes me most likely NOT to match. It's fun.

Default101

Phoenix will match the offer to David Hale (already matched Woywitka)

Still considering the O'Byrne signing, but he is the last of the Coyotes who signed offer sheets.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Hilbert signed a 4 years X $900,000 contract extension just before free agency.

Will correct that...thought I had the info in the spreadsheet...had so many spreadhsheets going back and forth...feel like pulling my hair...but it has been a fun exercise.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad