Post-Game Talk: Rexall, Northlands, Skyreach Centre, Edmonton Coliseum-final NHL bow

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have some shocking news, fellas.

Ready for it?

The mains aren't enjoying the ceremony.

Hope I didn't give any of you a heart attack with that shocking, shocking, news.

Nobody that's an Oilers fan would find much to enjoy in an hour long introduction of 200 players with the vast majority being unrecognizable even to current diehard Oiler fans.

I guess its considered a nice touch introducing everybody but on a ceremony that was supposed to be 1hr long that was 1hr long on its own, just the intros. Its as if nobody thought how long it was going to take to introduce a couple hundred people:shakehead Half the guys seemed embarrassed to have to walk down the aisle knowing that nobody but their mother would remember who they were.

Then the one announcer with the lame jokes. The weird interviews.

I dunno. this stuff is really tired. Glad I didn't spend hundreds of bucks. tbh I would have left. Or at least wandered around awhile during the interminable boredom of the postgame ceremony. That thing didn't end till nearly 10;30 and with people arriving at 3:30.

That isn't a game, its a work shift.

For sure I didn't get it. This nostalgia thing is done, move on.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I was hoping to see Staios as well but he's the President of the Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL). Doesn't help that the draft is in 3 days and he just fired his head coach and GM - George Burnett (who had a small sting as Oilers coach in 94-95) yesterday. He's a bit busy to say the least :laugh:

Smith is the D coach for Ottawa. Roli is G coach for Anaheim

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Also really would have liked to see my second favorite Oiler behind Gretzky, Doug Weight, there. His cheapshot on Bryan Marchment after Marchment tried to take out his knee earlier in the game still puts a smile on my face.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Nobody that's an Oilers fan would find much to enjoy in an hour long introduction of 200 players with the vast majority being unrecognizable even to current diehard Oiler fans.

I guess its considered a nice touch introducing everybody but on a ceremony that was supposed to be 1hr long that was 1hr long on its own, just the intros. Its as if nobody thought how long it was going to take to introduce a couple hundred people:shakehead Half the guys seemed embarrassed to have to walk down the aisle knowing that nobody but their mother would remember who they were.

I dunno. this stuff is really tired. Glad I didn't spend hundreds of bucks. tbh I would have left. Or at least wandered around awhile during the interminable boredom of the postgame ceremony. That thing didn't end till nearly 10;30 and with people arriving at 3:30.

If you feel the need to rain on this parade after one of the only joyous nights this season for Oilers fans, can you do it tomorrow and let those who had fun enjoy it? We get so few good nights a year

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005

I agree 100%. 30th anniversary of cup, sather retirement, other ceremonies. Edmontonians understand the oilers were good in the 1980s but let's move on. I was there and I'm not sure why we had to stand for every single random player including Shawn belle and Ryan o'mara.

Good riddance that this will finally maybe provide some closure. The 80s are done, the oilers suck and it is time to move on. As someone who has suffered through the 90s and 2000s, I want to see some actual on ice improvement!

Lastly, don't a bunch of the old timers get tired of showing up to this garbage every 6 months?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I agree 100%. 30th anniversary of cup, sather retirement, other ceremonies. Edmontonians understand the oilers were good in the 1980s but let's move on. I was there and I'm not sure why we had to stand for every single random player including Shawn belle and Ryan o'mara.

Good riddance that this will finally maybe provide some closure. The 80s are done, the oilers suck and it is time to move on. As someone who has suffered through the 90s and 2000s, I want to see some actual on ice improvement!

Lastly, don't a bunch of the old timers get tired of showing up to this garbage every 6 months?

while I agree these celebrations are overdone

what did you expect to happen at the last game at Rexall?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They are turning it into a 7 rink 2 floor tourney arena ,there is also multi residential towers being built by the Northlands grounds as well as a hotel and a outdoor concert venue. They will not be demolishing Northlands coliseum

I have seen the blue prints and they have very grand plans--problem is the building is my age and is showing it's age and I do not see the building being able to withstand the rebuild and renovations they are talking about.

With horse racing rumoured to be going out as well--they have alot of land to play with

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

For the life of me I didn't know who Shawn Belle was. One needs a program for this program.

I was just saying I thought the program was kind of boring. 1hr intros and 1hr speeches. I thought I was watching church. Although that's perhaps fitting. This must be a religion.

Least we won the game and the guys who I hope are still all here going forward scored goals.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
For the life of me I didn't know who Shawn Belle was. One needs a program for this program.

I was just saying I thought the program was kind of boring. 1hr intros and 1hr speeches. I thought I was watching church. Although that's perhaps fitting. This must be a religion.

Least we won the game and the guys who I hope are still all here going forward scored goals.

Those of us who are fans of the team and have been since the WHA may have enjoyed seeing names/faces that have been forgotten in the past 30 years.

Good news for you - you didn't have to watch it prior to the game. You chose to watch it after so not sure what your *****ing is about. I get it that people like to complain about everything involving the Oilers but the game ended and anyone could have turned the TV off.

Great to see the fans stay and salute the history of the team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Those of us who are fans of the team and have been since the WHA may have enjoyed seeing names/faces that have been forgotten in the past 30 years.

Good news for you - you didn't have to watch it prior to the game. You chose to watch it after so not sure what your *****ing is about. I get it that people like to complain about everything involving the Oilers but the game ended and anyone could have turned the TV off.

Great to see the fans stay and salute the history of the team.

I knew all the WHA players. Most of those were notable players at the time who played considerable stints here. There was a couple dozen NHL Oilers announced that you'd need a program to know who they were.

lol at the Steve Kelly intro. Why bother, nobody wanted him here the first time. Man, I would've shouted Shane Doan. How I roll I guess.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
lol the oil definitely went all out.

I saw boyd devereux in the pics at churchill

missing in action however was CHRIS PRONGER
The Human Rake should have accepted the invite then. I wanted to see more of the 2006 team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Is there anything you like Replacement? The ceremony was fine, was great to see a few of the old faces.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers need another captain like Weight. That's missing on this team big time. Hopefully Hall can find that in his late 20s.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The Human Rake should have accepted the invite then. I wanted to see more of the 2006 team.

Would have been nice to see some more guys from the 90's and 2000's teams make time to show up. I mean how hard would it have been for Doug Weight, and Jason Smith to come "scout" the team for the night. Also where's Bill Guerin and Cujo? Cujo was in town not to long ago for a seniors center fundraiser but can't make time for this? Pretty dissapointed to see a generation of players have no regard for the Oiler fans who grew up watching them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Is there anything you like Replacement? The ceremony was fine, was great to see a few of the old faces.

I liked the game overall. Although it sure started out slow.

But for sure I'm not going to be pumped about beating a NUCKS AHL squad after getting bombed 5-0 by Calgary.

Probably just wishing the season was over already. its dragging on.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I liked the game overall. Although it sure started out slow.

But for sure I'm not going to be pumped about beating a NUCKS AHL squad after getting bombed 5-0 by Calgary.

Probably just wishing the season was over already. its dragging on.
Aren't we all! Hopefully we see some changes this summer. Need some hope going into next season.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Thank you, Canucks. You were not the team we probably deserved, but you were definitely the team we needed tonight.

Don't worry the Canucks will win at home against the Oilers helping the team's draft position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad