Speculation: ReWhitney?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
:partytime: Welcome back zyllyx! :partytime:

I'm willing to try Whitney out in a management roll of some sort but I'd rather we do without him as a player. In case we can't re-sign Vrbata as well, I'd rather GMDM go after either Vanek or take Gaborik away from the Pasadena Princesses. As far as that solid veteran presence is concerned, chances are that is someone we get overtime within the system or better yet Doan should step it up more in that role since we all know his point production expected to go down in his remaining years in the league.

I'd have loved it if GMDM had gone after Vanek at the deadline. Don't know if we can afford him though. He'd be a good piece.

As for Vrby, I hope he realizes that there's no team in this league who will either treat him or pay him better than the Coyotes.

Nice avatar BTW.

I'm thinking of having it engraved on my tombstone.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I hear there's an undersized, defensively questionable left winger coming into the fold next year that's a pretty important piece for this organization. I really wouldn't mind Ray taking on a management role here in Phoenix and having him mentor Domi a bit on the side. But it was clear towards the end of the season with Dallas that he is running on empty.

Everyone I talk to believes that Domi will immediately command a spot on the NHL roster. I don't - I'm almost positive he'll spend at least half the season in the A.

Lessio might make it out of camp next season but I don't put him in the same category.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Everyone I talk to believes that Domi will immediately command a spot on the NHL roster. I don't - I'm almost positive he'll spend at least half the season in the A.

Lessio might make it out of camp next season but I don't put him in the same category.

Domi can't spend any time in the A. He's too young. It's against the rules. :)

So it's either put him in the NHL (possibly before he's actually ready) or send him back to juniors (where he'll likely stagnate). It's not an easy choice. I wish we could talk him into going to Finland. Haha.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Domi can't spend any time in the A. He's too young. It's against the rules. :)

Crap. I keep forgetting he's still junior-eligible.

I kept better track of things like this back when EHM was still around.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I do really like the idea of Whitney at practice mentoring Domi so I'm not completely opposed to the idea but I'd want them to sign him and use him the way they've used Schlemko in the past. Basically he needs to be ok with a league minimum and a lot of healthy scratches. I know the worry is Tip might naturally lean towards using Whitney instead of Domi but I think that would work itself out naturally as no way Whitney stays even remotely healthy for a full season.

Oh and welcome back zyllx, you were always a good poster, glad to see you've decided to end your self-imposed exile.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Don't forget that Whitney left with a chip on his shoulder about $$ and term. I seem to remember a quote along the lines that he was tired of putting up points year after year but getting low balled on contracts because of his size and age. If he's considering retirement in the near future, he'll want as large of a final pay out as his family can get. Remember that players can become management for any team no matter who they most recently played for. So other than possible ice time and chemistry, what's going to push him to come back here? Does he love it so much in PHX that he'll possibly pass on a much larger contract? I wouldn't. Get paid the league minimum (as previously suggested) for 1 year or get $X amount of millions and still have a chance to move to PHX in the next off season or for retirement. At this point in his career, he's more like a truck driver. Stay near "home" for a 5 digit income or go overseas for 6-12 months making a 6-7 digit income. There's also the Stanley Cup craving too.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If he's considering retirement in the near future, he'll want as large of a final pay out as his family can get. Remember that players can become management for any team no matter who they most recently played for. So other than possible ice time and chemistry, what's going to push him to come back here? Does he love it so much in PHX that he'll possibly pass on a much larger contract?

At this point in his career, he's more like a truck driver. Stay near "home" for a 5 digit income or go overseas for 6-12 months making a 6-7 digit income. There's also the Stanley Cup craving too.

In that article, Whitney indicates he realizes that there's not going to be a lot of suitors for him this offseason. Also two quotes:

“Phoenix could be the easiest solution, but I don’t know what their plans are. My daughter’s in Grade 7 now and it’s time to get her settled, get the family all set. Moving around is all done for them.”

And

Whitney doesn’t want to be a hired gun, if it means going to the Eastern Conference while his family is in Phoenix

The Cup craving shouldn't be a big factor, as he already won it back in 2006.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oh and welcome back zyllx, you were always a good poster, glad to see you've decided to end your self-imposed exile.

Thanks - nice to be talking hockey instead of relocation!

He can have Tyson's job...
He probably would make a decent color commentator.

Ooo, now there's an idea... but I think as nice as that would be, I'd prefer him in management. You want the smart guys calling the shots in the front office, not in the media booth! :naughty:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Team shows a chronic lack of energy and compete

Team signs a 41 year old that will in all likelihood retire if he doesn't get a deal with Phoenix

This kills the team

Exactly! I loved what Whitney did when he was here, but it's time to move on from these over the hill players. Can someone tell me why they think Whitney would be good in management? I'm not disputing this but I haven't heard anything suggesting that he is going to be the next big thing and he has no experience.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Exactly! I loved what Whitney did when he was here, but it's time to move on from these over the hill players. Can someone tell me why they think Whitney would be good in management? I'm not disputing this but I haven't heard anything suggesting that he is going to be the next big thing and he has no experience.

Yep, sounds like the right idea.

I don't think he has much left in the tank. Although a one year deal on the 4th line wouldn't hurt (provided it is at most 1M), while occasionally getting some PP. He still has very good vision for the ice, and some creativity that can be exploited. But we shouldn't expect him to be effective for more than 30 games a season, and certainly shouldn't pencil him into our top-9.

He will run out of gas very quickly if we play him in regular minutes every game. If he is used sparingly, and gets a day off every 3/4 games, it would be a workable situation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yep, sounds like the right idea.

I don't think he has much left in the tank. Although a one year deal on the 4th line wouldn't hurt (provided it is at most 1M), while occasionally getting some PP. He still has very good vision for the ice, and some creativity that can be exploited. But we shouldn't expect him to be effective for more than 30 games a season, and certainly shouldn't pencil him into our top-9.

He will run out of gas very quickly if we play him in regular minutes every game. If he is used sparingly, and gets a day off every 3/4 games, it would be a workable situation.

I want a young one to take those minutes. Forget about the past, think of the future. I still think the owners want to make a splash before next year starts.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I want a young one to take those minutes. Forget about the past, think of the future. I still think the owners want to make a splash before next year starts.

If someone like Lessio/Samuelsson matures enough to start off in a bottom 6 role, then it would definitely be preferable to someone like Whitney. Although it might still be smart to platoon that position with Whitney, just for insurance purposes.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He can have Tyson's job...
He probably would make a decent color commentator.

Sure, they could make Tyson Nash assistant coach in charge of the post practice spread and personal grooming. Put his hockey knowledge to use.:sarcasm:

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
1 Year, 2M

I'd rather get younger though.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Just sign him to skate during the pregame on ice interviews....it would be creepy.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'll admit to being less than objective about Miele but there's no way that he was utilized in a way that showed what he can do for a team in either of his two stints with the Coyotes over the past couple of years.

No way would I put Ray on the first line. Second line with Doan and Ribs, maybe. Perhaps Ray could do something to shake Ribeiro out of his funk - since they're both playmakers, maybe Ribs might actually start shooting the puck instead of endlessly trying to get rid of it in the cutest manner possible.

Put two set-up guys on the same line?? Does Doaner really need that much help?? ;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don't forget that Whitney left with a chip on his shoulder about $$ and term. I seem to remember a quote along the lines that he was tired of putting up points year after year but getting low balled on contracts because of his size and age. If he's considering retirement in the near future, he'll want as large of a final pay out as his family can get. Remember that players can become management for any team no matter who they most recently played for. So other than possible ice time and chemistry, what's going to push him to come back here? Does he love it so much in PHX that he'll possibly pass on a much larger contract? I wouldn't. Get paid the league minimum (as previously suggested) for 1 year or get $X amount of millions and still have a chance to move to PHX in the next off season or for retirement. At this point in his career, he's more like a truck driver. Stay near "home" for a 5 digit income or go overseas for 6-12 months making a 6-7 digit income. There's also the Stanley Cup craving too.

Most of that was due to ownership issues at the time. Whitney stated it as much. Maloney's hands were tied on contracts.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
:partytime: Welcome back zyllyx! :partytime:

I'm willing to try Whitney out in a management roll of some sort but I'd rather we do without him as a player. In case we can't re-sign Vrbata as well, I'd rather GMDM go after either Vanek or take Gaborik away from the Pasadena Princesses. As far as that solid veteran presence is concerned, chances are that is someone we get overtime within the system or better yet Doan should step it up more in that role since we all know his point production expected to go down in his remaining years in the league.

Nice avatar BTW.

Do you really think ownership has the money to pay for either of those. Especially with how are current economics are with the team

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Why is Ray Whitney going to "mentor" Max Domi? What's he going to teach him?

Is he going to help the kid manage his life while transitioning to professional hockey? Is he going to help him navigate suddenly having teammates who are significantly older than him? Teach him some of the hows and whyfores of playing against bigger, physically-mature grown men? Talk him through the ups and downs of a rookie season?

Isn't there a NHL veteran in Max Domi's life who DOESN'T need ice time and DOESN'T need a $1m paycheck to do that?

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Why is Ray Whitney going to "mentor" Max Domi? What's he going to teach him?

Is he going to help the kid manage his life while transitioning to professional hockey? Is he going to help him navigate suddenly having teammates who are significantly older than him? Teach him some of the hows and whyfores of playing against bigger, physically-mature grown men? Talk him through the ups and downs of a rookie season?

Isn't there a NHL veteran in Max Domi's life who DOESN'T need ice time and DOESN'T need a $1m paycheck to do that?

Tie Domi? :sarcasm:

...or he could tweet Biz between shifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad