Revisiting the 2013 NHL Draft

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i had money in all fairness as the BEST RECRUIT FOR THAT YEAR BEING PRO READY FROM DAY ONE.

Nothing he has done this year is surprising to me cause i had him at such a completed player from day one.

now the other guys have to put together their unbelievable talent and reach higher levels over time in fairness to each of them.

the only regrets i have the last few drafts are minor i missed how good st louis kid was gonna be at 25 he is palat all over schmaltz is a stud wish we had somehow gotten him 2012 lol

slater pick is still up in arms weve seen vasi so am sure all are happy with the detroit trade lol

i dont like still we didnt get barbashev but point in third round of 2013 makes you believe again in what is being done.

I am also not so high on jones as others so drouin was the right choice but with that choice you got to wait on this guy.

i will wait 5 years on all of this murray has earned that from me imho

i wish we had al murray running the show in 2010! maybe al would have picked Vladimir Tarasenko! over bret connolly!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Barkov is only better then Drouin at being taller, really? I'm pretty sure Barkov is miles ahead defensively and will be in Selke talk very soon. I also think Barkov will be the better goal scorer, Drouin will be more productive though. It's Toews vs Kane between the two, I think I'd take the center in that choice.

I can't really fault yzerman on that barkov was the 2nd pick florida got him we had the 3rd pick. I'm interested to see what drouin can do if he plays on the first line with stamkos for a whole season ? now passing on monahan ? i'm asking who is going to be a better player monahan or drouin in the long run ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I can't really fault yzerman on that barkov was the 2nd pick florida got him we had the 3rd pick. I'm interested to see what drouin can do if he plays on the first line with stamkos for a whole season ? now passing on monahan ? i'm asking who is going to be a better player monahan or drouin in the long run ?

money hands top level is below drouins

is that simple i think the draft went exactly like it should have myself

if was redone with what all have shown i would say a lot of people would have drouin now number one

but it takes time and work he has the crazy skill he has to tone it together to be elite in the areas he can be elite but what he has done this year defensively and skating is truly mind boggling for his age his growth is off the charts right now

we wont know till 2017 how high he climbs or what he becomes but i would not bet against this kid myself hes gonna be sick in time maybe

i will go so far as to say he will take some of the face of the franchise from stamkos

this kid has that in him

does he do it??? that is on the drive and work ethic parts and only time will tell

interesting we have sooo many pieces that will push him why i would bet on him right now

cause tyjo palat stamkos kucherov all are going to have their own says in what this team becomes

drouin has it all to be second fiddle to none of them but will he???

give it five years come back to this and we will know

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i wish we had al murray running the show in 2010! maybe al would have picked Vladimir Tarasenko! over bret connolly!

Dude Connolly was a top 3 prospect in 2010, stayed in the top 5 even after injury maybe slipped in a few but still top 10. Tarasenko wasn't really mentioned as a top 10 pick most of the year, rose a bit at the end but still not close to 6th. Stop looking at things in hindsight and complaining, Connolly wasn't a bad pick.

Monahan is playing great but I don't know how much more his game will grow and improve, Drouin has higher potential still.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I'd bet Drouin has the best PPG in the NHL when compared with his quality of linemates and icetime. 40~ pts is great with the opportunity to produce he's been given, miniscule PP time, and the fact that he's always been more of a passer than shooter.

Florida needed Barkov for his overall package, he's the type of player that can single-handedly carry a franchise, but for us Jo was hands down the better pick.

And this thread is somewhat weird considering Jones has been a disappointment in Nashville and Money is playing with Hudler and Gaudreau, so his points are somewhat in line from what you would expect Jo to score with those kind of linemates.

And for the last time Todd, stop with these annoying hindsight threads, Connolly was considered 2x the player than say Tarasenko by literally everybody in the time of the draft.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Hey I wanted fowler over connolly that year and so did a ton of fans! All in all yzerman thought two second round picks were better then Connolly! So the end with Connolly is over in tampa.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Barkov won't even be the best forward on his own team. I take Bjugstad over Barkov every single day of the week.

I like monahan over Barkov much better. Really I still like drouin over Barkov. Robert surprised me a ton saying he would take drouin 1st in the 2013 draft ? Over Mac ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Dude Connolly was a top 3 prospect in 2010, stayed in the top 5 even after injury maybe slipped in a few but still top 10. Tarasenko wasn't really mentioned as a top 10 pick most of the year, rose a bit at the end but still not close to 6th. Stop looking at things in hindsight and complaining, Connolly wasn't a bad pick.

Monahan is playing great but I don't know how much more his game will grow and improve, Drouin has higher potential still.

very well said hose and i for one after seeing killer and tyjo down at same time

WISH STEVE WASNT WORRIED ON THOSE TWO SECOND ROUNDERS

brett broke hand but you look at killer 15 goals i for one think if we had given brett his head all year he would be right up with callahan and our board would ***** a lot less on stamkos and that top line

still unfair im over it moved on but even next year we dont sign morrow

have only vladdy and erne for that top role id have liked to keep brett

not sure why he got on bad side of coach steve etc... but panik was a mistake im feeling brett is bigger mistake get the equation just dont agree with it at all didnt at the time kept mouth shut but man we need those extra bodies and to keep morrow jt browns of world over a guy who is probably a 25-55 guy to me rubs me wrong till we have 14 of them not 10 haha

and glad your back my friend hope we have a good playoff

just please dont try to protect sustr besides a joke he is a giraffe and really is not showing is worth anything bring back brian lee please!!!!!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
very well said hose and i for one after seeing killer and tyjo down at same time

WISH STEVE WASNT WORRIED ON THOSE TWO SECOND ROUNDERS

brett broke hand but you look at killer 15 goals i for one think if we had given brett his head all year he would be right up with callahan and our board would ***** a lot less on stamkos and that top line

still unfair im over it moved on but even next year we dont sign morrow

have only vladdy and erne for that top role id have liked to keep brett

not sure why he got on bad side of coach steve etc... but panik was a mistake im feeling brett is bigger mistake get the equation just dont agree with it at all didnt at the time kept mouth shut but man we need those extra bodies and to keep morrow jt browns of world over a guy who is probably a 25-55 guy to me rubs me wrong till we have 14 of them not 10 haha

and glad your back my friend hope we have a good playoff

just please dont try to protect sustr besides a joke he is a giraffe and really is not showing is worth anything bring back brian lee please!!!!!
Stevie loves having his draft picks he always has. I know connolly has a plate in his hand maybe the lightning felt long term that hand would affect him? Yzerman has his reasons for the connolly deal. I really don't care a lot about losing connolly he is a 3rd liner at best.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Hey I wanted fowler over connolly that year and so did a ton of fans! All in all yzerman thought two second round picks were better then Connolly! So the end with Connolly is over in tampa.

i dont think management has made a lot of mistakes but think connolly was handled piss poorly and then some

nothing we could do about lindbacks lack of correct development and we were flat out thin back when that deal was done and if go by stats? was still a deal we should have made etc..

think panik was a large mistake think connolly will go down as one of bigger ones.

he was learning the game slowly but still only 22 and he had developed into a legit power forward type of player especially towards end of year he was getting it like the clock finally ticked on for him.

I for one am sad we let him go especially since I think personally we can use the bodies like connolly moving forward. Over guys who have hit their peaks etc.. jt brown morrow retiring etc..

I get why all this is done and was done but I think it leaves holes we should not have.

now we got to our window quicker then expected by a year or so and we had options ready for nhl in say vladdy but we saw the last two weeks everyone did and we see what happens if we lose a couple pieces.

I dont see the high end talent coming up except vladdy and erne maybe they are high on say kunyk or others but brett had a diverse skill set and he could shoot the puck which even with our record breaking year this season we could use more guys to hit 20 goals am unsure we have guys after erne and vladdy to do that and I for one believe brett could have become like a close to callahan player in a few more years at 25 say.

Thats a pretty solid commodity.

We have a ton of play makers and ton of guys good at both ends but brett was working hard had probably his best month as a pro

two second rounders for him to me is a major dumb move just my two cents on it.

he was never going to be a driving factor but a role playing 25 55 guy? who was going to develop the physical side and hit everything that moved?

this is truly something this team can use to protect some of the guys.

I dont run this team and for some reason brett was not ever given to be the commodity he might have been but hes worth today more to me on this team for the playoff run then two second round picks.

I was the guy saying a lot of bad things on him too that gets his game wasnt perfected yet but he was coming along and think getting rid of the jt browns morrows etc.. of the world is something we should do over the connollys.

why im not asking for carle trade till must be done or a flipper trade or killorn or sustr or barberio

everyone is high on witkowski and id rather have gudas but love coburn so get it all just think we are in place got plenty of kids now some will work out doubt we find too many palat's and johnsons so now is where since we seem to have chosen a core

we really need to make every move count and make sense.

as said we hit our level early with how nhl is working out this year and yes we need to keep adding kids like peca's and points and others bunch of solid defenders coming yet we really need to hold on what we can these next couple years till we face

stammegedon get past it see how vasi bishop plays out see the high end what drouin becomes etc...

i hope we dont do a lot more moves i think we are there if we have enough bodies and the guys i would let go are the ones who reached their top levels which I do not think panik or connolly did.

so yes know went into robs spaz action here lol long winded and too much information for most of you probably just saying we are not perfect steve isnt etc...

we need to be right more often then wrong but do not want to bleed off guys at 22 who i think might have been solid core pieces

i do think brett winds up with better career then killorn we got spoiled a lot last 5 years

until we are truly deeper 3-4 guys d and 3-4 forwards pull up moments notice we need to let them develop 22 is too early for the talent of a richard panik much less connolly for me:)

only bust after lindback am debating is sustr he just doesnt seem to have the mental part he skates ok not great but is missing what a bunch of our guys seem to have that extra thing and for me the last 2 months barberio performed better

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I like monahan over Barkov much better. Really I still like drouin over Barkov. Robert surprised me a ton saying he would take drouin 1st in the 2013 draft ? Over Mac ?

spent a ton of time listening to the qmjhl legit scouts who said drouins skill level puck handling etc.. was higher then crosby's

i was and am for drouin number one based on those guys and based on I think hands down we have THE BEST MINDS IN HOCKEY and per all sources drouin was our guy.

i hmmmd and hawed for a couple weeks on that draft but i cannot argue with murray or stevie in what they have done since 2010.

is amazing how this is all playing out to watch it all unfold ive never ever seen anything like this in 40 years of hockey how well we draft to the 7th round its unfathomable to see what we are doing if we didnt see it on the ice daily this year.

mind boggling how well this franchise is being ran top to bottom seriously.

everyone knows how much i love the russians is no secret and at one point throught barkov was going to be the next datsyuk seriously and moneyhand played on worst team possible and carried it so knew was legit.

drouin when mack was out turned his game to an all time higher level.

i see all of that put all that to perspective.

i absolutely believe drouin will be a lot not a ton but a lot above mack when its all said and done as a player.

but ive been on these boards a long time respect a lot to true scouts and know they dont just throw stuff out there.

look at ekblad i was down on him was always saying he was not going to be what he is this year the scouts that i listen to said otherwise and look at his season and our scouts our team said otherwise cause we went after him hardcore

you can argue so long then you accept and know these guys this franchsie top to bottom gets it and is sooo right your seeing something youve never seen you just tip hat and say ok trust the system lol

i am learning to trust our guys but theyve done it now over and over and over and it seems on every pick every player is just amazing am happy

truly happy to be able to witness this.

everyone was down on tony d for issues

murray and staff says is best defender in draft

now look??

i am just going to move forward now with this team and enjoy the fact we really seem to hit four leaf clovers all the time

once or twice is luck 10-12 times? well we are in good hands:)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Stevie loves having his draft picks he always has. I know connolly has a plate in his hand maybe the lightning felt long term that hand would affect him? Yzerman has his reasons for the connolly deal. I really don't care a lot about losing connolly he is a 3rd liner at best.

we are going to find out but i say by 25 he is legit 60 point guy power forward type hitting 30 goals or close to it

might not be for boston but for a team he is going to be a great top six

our top nine is insane lol hes not a third liner not if he plays like he was at the end and keeps growing and carrying that game we saw at the end.

hes 22 6'2 220 pounds he can become a truly nice piece for most teams and I think personally he easily gets there myself. he has a scorers knack a beauty of a shot

his only problem will be if he tries to be a playmaker and stays outside

but if he takes what hes best at keeps it simple? he can be a legit nice power forward

he just never got the full shot with us cause of all the options and because of players who leaped him kucherov vladdy tyjo and palat

is not a lot of teams cant use a connolly honestly hes an interesting guy

keep in mind the records scoring he did as a kid and keep in mind he led our ahl team in points for the time there the guy has it to be legit we just didnt think he was core

it think is more erne factor then anything myself.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
How did Barkov even come up? He was picked 2nd overall and Drouin was 3rd. He was never an option for us.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
we are going to find out but i say by 25 he is legit 60 point guy power forward type hitting 30 goals or close to it

might not be for boston but for a team he is going to be a great top six

our top nine is insane lol hes not a third liner not if he plays like he was at the end and keeps growing and carrying that game we saw at the end.

hes 22 6'2 220 pounds he can become a truly nice piece for most teams and I think personally he easily gets there myself. he has a scorers knack a beauty of a shot

his only problem will be if he tries to be a playmaker and stays outside

but if he takes what hes best at keeps it simple? he can be a legit nice power forward

he just never got the full shot with us cause of all the options and because of players who leaped him kucherov vladdy tyjo and palat

is not a lot of teams cant use a connolly honestly hes an interesting guy

keep in mind the records scoring he did as a kid and keep in mind he led our ahl team in points for the time there the guy has it to be legit we just didnt think he was core

it think is more erne factor then anything myself.
You can rant on bret connolly all you want but he was never going to crack are top six in tampa ever. Killorn has put up better numbers then connolly in the NHL. I think connolly in Boston is not a good fit for him at all. I trust yzerman and are guys if they wanted draft picks they have there reasons. This team is not going to fall apart because of losing bret connolly so it is what it is. If Connolly was a legit top six then how come we did not get better trade offers for him ? Tells me other gm's and scouts are not high on him.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Is it bad that I only view a prospect two or three times then make up my decision as to what type of player they will become?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
You can rant on bret connolly all you want but he was never going to crack are top six in tampa ever. Killorn has put up better numbers then connolly in the NHL. I think connolly in Boston is not a good fit for him at all. I trust yzerman and are guys if they wanted draft picks they have there reasons. This team is not going to fall apart because of losing bret connolly so it is what it is. If Connolly was a legit top six then how come we did not get better trade offers for him ? Tells me other gm's and scouts are not high on him.

As an outside GM looking in, he was a reclamation project most definitely. Boston bit on a Mid risk High Reward in him.

We did the same thing with Steve Downie and he turned out all right for us so there is that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Connolly's going to be a very good fit in Boston, I think. He played his best hockey with meat-and-potatoes wingers here, and they're a team full of meat-and-potatoes players. He was just not a good fit here. Not much of an "Yzerman" player. But that doesn't mean he won't have success elsewhere. I think he will.

It was a trade where both sides won. Did we get worse losing Connolly? Namestnikov, right now, looks like an improvement over him. So I'd say no. But Boston probably got better too.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

Don't want ya to think I'm a grammar-nazi and I'd like to actually help you out here; "are" and "our" are entirely different words.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I usually don't care about spelling and grammar too much (at least not enough to call someone out), but that particular mistake always hurts my brain a lot. >_<

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I usually don't care about spelling and grammar too much (at least not enough to call someone out), but that particular mistake always hurts my brain a lot. >_<

Ok a lot is not a word who gives a spit! You get the idea!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
"A lot" is two words. I think you're thinking of "alot," which is not an actual word.

Sure people split it into two words to use it but those words are not needed! Unless you have a lot to show me for sale ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
P.s bret Connolly stinks so we lost a 3rd or 4th liner! Look at Jeff skinners numbers picked behind connolly. If you like connolly go be a Bruins fan for all I care. Dude was not worth the 6th pick in that draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad