Revisiting the 2013 NHL Draft

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
looking back at the 2013 nhl draft would you have still picked drouin 3rd if you were yzerman ? or would you take seth jones or SEAN
MONAHAN ? monahan has looked like a steal at the 6th pick for the flames so far/

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Too early for this. Drouin oozes talent unlike anyone I've seen - and Monahan wouldn't have had the opportunity to be a top line center here (or ****, even a 3rd line center).

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Too early for this. Drouin oozes talent unlike anyone I've seen - and Monahan wouldn't have had the opportunity to be a top line center here (or ****, even a 3rd line center).

it is early but if you did that draft over who are your top 5 guys ? do i think today monahan over takes johnson or flipper no but in two years yes he is the number 2 behind stamkos no doubt. so your saying if drouin played for the flames his numbers would be 30-30 right now like monahan or close to it ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
it is early but if you did that draft over who are your top 5 guys ? do i think today monahan over takes johnson or flipper no but in two years yes he is the number 2 behind stamkos no doubt. so your saying if drouin played for the flames his numbers would be 30-30 right now like monahan or close to it ?

u are a close friend but you love starting things and think personally believe is bad habit

so after macks year should they throw him under bus cause money is having a lights out year?

THAT IS BLANKING STUPID

is kinda what your doing and is annoying to me youve done this over and over

stamkos not signing etc...

please please please hold back a bit wait 5 years or something lol

key to drafting be more right then wrong

so far we are fine with drouin and any others lately:)

lets let time show us what they are and how right or wrong the heads are

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
u are a close friend but you love starting things and think personally believe is bad habit

so after macks year should they throw him under bus cause money is having a lights out year?

THAT IS BLANKING STUPID

is kinda what your doing and is annoying to me youve done this over and over

stamkos not signing etc...

please please please hold back a bit wait 5 years or something lol

key to drafting be more right then wrong

so far we are fine with drouin and any others lately:)

lets let time show us what they are and how right or wrong the heads are

the thing i want to find out is what is drouin what is he going to become for this lightning hockey team ? lets be honest 4 goals and 28 helpers is not really what we all thought was going to happen. i'm hoping this kid pulls a kucherov next year and just flips the switch. what are the pro's of his game right now and what are his con's he needs to improve on. because are team is legit for a while we are not going to be drafting in the top 5 anytime soon getting a toews or a kane. so all in all i'm hoping drouin becomes as good as kane and toews or better.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm pretty sure Barkov was the target at 3. Vinny was or just about to be bought out, free agency hadn't begun so Filpulla wasn't here yet and Johnson was an AHL stud only. Florida passing on Jones and Drouin messed that up. Drouin will be elite but I would've traded back and got Jones, we needed a RD like that more.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Drouin has not showed me anything to regret picking him.

He's about to explode next season, and certainly is the most skilled player in the draft IMO

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Probably.
Gaudreau has those kind of stats and Drouin is a very similar player to him

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm pretty sure Barkov was the target at 3. Vinny was or just about to be bought out, free agency hadn't begun so Filpulla wasn't here yet and Johnson was an AHL stud only. Florida passing on Jones and Drouin messed that up. Drouin will be elite but I would've traded back and got Jones, we needed a RD like that more.

Ya Seth jones to partner with Hedman would have been great and much needed. Murray I guess felt drouin had huge upside. I still got to trust al Murray that he got the drouin pick right. So far murray has not let me down.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I still stand by that we should have taken Jones. You just don't get chances at elite defensemen like that often. However, Drouin will be an all star here eventually if he can develop some more. He's been under used this year, and yet he has still shown brilliance at times. I just hope he can become who we wanted him to be.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
the thing i want to find out is what is drouin what is he going to become for this lightning hockey team ? lets be honest 4 goals and 28 helpers is not really what we all thought was going to happen. i'm hoping this kid pulls a kucherov next year and just flips the switch. what are the pro's of his game right now and what are his con's he needs to improve on. because are team is legit for a while we are not going to be drafting in the top 5 anytime soon getting a toews or a kane. so all in all i'm hoping drouin becomes as good as kane and toews or better.

1. The only thing he needs to work on is not being a rookie in the Cooper system. Other than that ... this kid is unbelievable in all phases of the game. 2. Nobody predicted that Cooper would give Drouin Boyle & Morrow as line mates pretty much all season. We had a precedent of what Cooper did with Kucherov but now we know what to expect out of 19 - 21 yr olds in Cooper's system. If I look back at Kucherov last year vs Drouin this year - its not even close Drouin is all around a better player in their first season. Drouin will show same progression but take it to the next level. 3. Pros - Vision, Hands, Shot, IQ, Motor, Skating, Speed, Compete. Cons - Strength, Rookie in Cooper System, Experience. 4. Drouin will be better than Toews/Kane - that is saying a lot but this kid has it and hopefully Cooper gives him the opportunity next year.

Yzerman learned what not to do by going through it with Connolly first. They've taken it slow with Drouin...its been a perfect season for Drouin. No pressure to produce nor score. He has been taught the system in a defense first mode on the fourth line. Remember this kid did not go through camp as he was injured almost the entire time. He'll go through this off-season and he is almost 190 lbs. Next year he is going to come back faster, better, more comfortable...and with time to gain chemistry on the first line. It will be amazing to watch him. Mackinnon/Jones/Barkov - all physical specimens. Yzerman took the most hockey skill and the better hockey player - not the most physically dominant player. Barkov is only better than Drouin at being taller - that is it. Seth Jones is 6'4" and physically mature beyond Drouin...however when Drouin matures physically he'll be the best player drafted in 2013. Not just because he has the skill on his own but because of the synergy he can create with Stamkos. Kid is a diamond - I'm sure of it.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I personally am not high on Jones, and never have been. Hasn't been a long enough stretch to determine if it is the right pick or not, I will say this however. I don't regret picking Drouin.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
This is unfair to both Jones and Drouin. Jones hasn't fully developed and we all know Jo hasn't been let off the chain yet either.

It's harder for Defensemen to come in and make an impact on the NHL as a rookie. This is why Jones looks more impressive at this point. Jones is going to look as advertised on that D-Corps. It's amazing. He has zero pressure in Nashville and it's a great environment to learn how to play D the right way.

That being said, nothing about Jones' game is transcendental. He's going to be a very good defenseman for probably at least 1.5 decades. Jo's game on the other hand has flashes of flat out generational level vision and hands. His work ethic is off the charts as well because he's turned what was a weakness at the draft, skating, into a positive. I don't know if any of you know how hard it is to add explosive acceleration as a tool in your toolbox, when it wasn't there to begin with.

Werewolf is right. Yzerman and Murray drafted for the player Drouin can become. Prospects are a gamble, always. Jo Drouin's ceiling is higher than Jones'.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i had money in all fairness as the BEST RECRUIT FOR THAT YEAR BEING PRO READY FROM DAY ONE.

Nothing he has done this year is surprising to me cause i had him at such a completed player from day one.

now the other guys have to put together their unbelievable talent and reach higher levels over time in fairness to each of them.

the only regrets i have the last few drafts are minor i missed how good st louis kid was gonna be at 25 he is palat all over schmaltz is a stud wish we had somehow gotten him 2012 lol

slater pick is still up in arms weve seen vasi so am sure all are happy with the detroit trade lol

i dont like still we didnt get barbashev but point in third round of 2013 makes you believe again in what is being done.

I am also not so high on jones as others so drouin was the right choice but with that choice you got to wait on this guy.

i will wait 5 years on all of this murray has earned that from me imho

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I have yet to see a reason why we shouldn't have drafted him, he's 19. He has showed some really good playmaking skills and hockey IQ and even bursts of chemistry with a few players. He's still learning the game at the big league level. In jr. he was able to do what ever he wanted, now he has to adjust. Kids gonna be a big player for this team soon.

Maaaaaybe he won't be ugly in a few years, but that might be a bust.

Nashville is known for producing and teaching some pretty great defensemen so who knows if Jones would be the defender he is today in Tampa's system and style of play.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
1. The only thing he needs to work on is not being a rookie in the Cooper system. Other than that ... this kid is unbelievable in all phases of the game. 2. Nobody predicted that Cooper would give Drouin Boyle & Morrow as line mates pretty much all season. We had a precedent of what Cooper did with Kucherov but now we know what to expect out of 19 - 21 yr olds in Cooper's system. If I look back at Kucherov last year vs Drouin this year - its not even close Drouin is all around a better player in their first season. Drouin will show same progression but take it to the next level. 3. Pros - Vision, Hands, Shot, IQ, Motor, Skating, Speed, Compete. Cons - Strength, Rookie in Cooper System, Experience. 4. Drouin will be better than Toews/Kane - that is saying a lot but this kid has it and hopefully Cooper gives him the opportunity next year.

Yzerman learned what not to do by going through it with Connolly first. They've taken it slow with Drouin...its been a perfect season for Drouin. No pressure to produce nor score. He has been taught the system in a defense first mode on the fourth line. Remember this kid did not go through camp as he was injured almost the entire time. He'll go through this off-season and he is almost 190 lbs. Next year he is going to come back faster, better, more comfortable...and with time to gain chemistry on the first line. It will be amazing to watch him. Mackinnon/Jones/Barkov - all physical specimens. Yzerman took the most hockey skill and the better hockey player - not the most physically dominant player. Barkov is only better than Drouin at being taller - that is it. Seth Jones is 6'4" and physically mature beyond Drouin...however when Drouin matures physically he'll be the best player drafted in 2013. Not just because he has the skill on his own but because of the synergy he can create with Stamkos. Kid is a diamond - I'm sure of it.

Barkov is only better then Drouin at being taller, really? I'm pretty sure Barkov is miles ahead defensively and will be in Selke talk very soon. I also think Barkov will be the better goal scorer, Drouin will be more productive though. It's Toews vs Kane between the two, I think I'd take the center in that choice.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Barkov is better defensively than Drouin of course

He will be Crosby-lite playing wing for Stamkos. Similar skillset as Kane but with a lower center of gravity to fight through checks and more willing to engage physically

Here are the words of one of the most respected beatwriters in the QMJHL

http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1202921-inside-the-q-soak-up-drouin-s-brilliance

But less measurable is how he actually accumulates those stats and honours. His stickhandling and playmaking abilities are generational, so much so that I feel comfortable saying he is the most skilled player with the puck I have seen during my 15 years covering the league. And, yes, I was on the QMJHL beat when Sidney Crosby played for the Rimouski Oceanic between 2003 and 2005.

I say that in the context of Crosby being a more complete all-around player at the same age and a more improved version of himself roughly a decade later in the NHL. But go through your memory bank of Drouin highlights or browse his YouTube clips if you need a reminder. Heck, one of his shifts last year was so ridiculous TSN did an entire feature on it. You may say I’m crazy to rank his puck skills as a junior ahead of Crosby, but the video evidence alone is pretty compelling.

That also includes Giroux who was not as good as Drouin in the Q

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Barkov is better defensively than Drouin of course

He will be Crosby-lite playing wing for Stamkos. Similar skillset as Kane but with a lower center of gravity to fight through checks and more willing to engage physically

Here are the words of one of the most respected beatwriters in the QMJHL

http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1202921-inside-the-q-soak-up-drouin-s-brilliance

That also includes Giroux who was not as good as Drouin in the Q

Purely in terms of puckhandling, you need to see Drouin on top of his game exactly one time to realize he's in the absolute top tier of puckhandlers in hockey. He might be in his own tier among current players. As he gains experience, he's going to learn how to focus those skills.

Some guys you can see it right away though. Datsyuk was a guy who, if you caught the right shift, you could see was among the best stickhandlers you were ever going to see pretty much from the time he broke into the league. It took him a season or two to turn that into consistent offense.

All Jo really needs at this point is opportunity. He's been getting it in tea spoon doses so far this year. But I think his last game might have been his best game as a pro so far, if not then one the games in the last two weeks. He's coming along nicely. The only way Drouin is disappointing is we can't show him off to other fanbases just yet to prove Yzerman right. But it looks like that'll come soon enough.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Purely in terms of puckhandling, you need to see Drouin on top of his game exactly one time to realize he's in the absolute top tier of puckhandlers in hockey. He might be in his own tier among current players. As he gains experience, he's going to learn how to focus those skills.

Some guys you can see it right away though. Datsyuk was a guy who, if you caught the right shift, you could see was among the best stickhandlers you were ever going to see pretty much from the time he broke into the league. It took him a season or two to turn that into consistent offense.

All Jo really needs at this point is opportunity. He's been getting it in tea spoon doses so far this year. But I think his last game might have been his best game as a pro so far, if not then one the games in the last two weeks. He's coming along nicely. The only way Drouin is disappointing is we can't show him off to other fanbases just yet to prove Yzerman right. But it looks like that'll come soon enough.

ya he had some moments last two weeks i just shook my head

the thought keeps coming to me is this like deangelo also?

i see the same thing with tony d its unreal our wealth of riches

i am blown away by flippers ability and when i watch drouin skate the entire offense in circles and earn space im like hes already past flipper lmao

which for the rest of hockey should be concerning moving forward

yet every time i see drouin do this i think of tony d and him being added with a similar skillset but as a d man

big grins lol

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Don't look at him as 4-28-32, look at him as 32 points for averaging about 10 minutes a night, then look at others who get those same minutes.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
28 helpers with the linemates he's had and limited ice time is pretty damn incredible, honestly. The goal scoring is starting to show up. I would not be surprised if he gets a key one or two per series in the playoffs like he did against Montreal just recently.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
28 helpers with the linemates he's had and limited ice time is pretty damn incredible, honestly. The goal scoring is starting to show up. I would not be surprised if he gets a key one or two per series in the playoffs like he did against Montreal just recently.

Definitely,

He's been pretty snakebit in the goal department but he's still creating offense.

Here's the list of Primary Assists/60 at even strength

Johnson 1.30
Palat 1.21
Drouin 1.18
Callahan 0.83

Johnson and Palat are part of arguably the best line in the league

I really like that Cooper has been on him to shoot a lot more. You can see him throwing the puck on net a lot more lately. He was never a guy take low percentage shots before

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Don't look at him as 4-28-32, look at him as 32 points for averaging about 10 minutes a night, then look at others who get those same minutes.

Yup. Just looked it up. Not many players scored as many points as he did with the same average ice time and also many who were close to him played many more games too. It's Drouins first season at 19 years old on a deep offensive team. I think next season he will get much more time on Stsmkos wing and will put up much better numbers. Not that his numbers now are anything to scoff at. Far from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad