Revisiting the 2013 NHL Draft

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sure people split it into two words to use it but those words are not needed! Unless you have a lot to show me for sale ?

They're two perfectly fine words. I doubt the mods want us to turn this into a grammar argument, so I'll try to bring it back to the topic at hand by saying I have a lot of confidence that Jonathan Drouin will reach his potential in the coming years.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
They're two perfectly fine words. I doubt the mods want us to turn this into a grammar argument, so I'll try to bring it back to the topic at hand by saying I have a lot of confidence that Jonathan Drouin will reach his potential in the coming years.

Sure I think drouin will be fine but this bret Connolly thing is old. If yzerman did not think he was worth keeping so do I.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sure I think drouin will be fine but this bret Connolly thing is old. If yzerman did not think he was worth keeping so do I.

I think Rob and Hose are the only people who think it was a mistake. And we have no idea if Hose really feels that way (despite his time spent as a Colorado fan in protest). And Rob is about as big an Yzerman supporter as you'll find.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think Rob and Hose are the only people who think it was a mistake. And we have no idea if Hose really feels that way (despite his time spent as a Colorado fan in protest). And Rob is about as big an Yzerman supporter as you'll find.

Since Connolly was traded Filpulla has 1 goal and 4 points, Boyle 2 goals and 4 points, Paquette 0 points, Brown had a 4 in a 3 game spurt, Morrow 1 point. Namestnikov and Drouin have produced a bit but both got some top 6 minutes and linemates, didn't want to research who they played with when they scored.

Since the Connolly trade our bottom 6 hasn't been producing well at all, going into the playoffs you need depth for injuries and your bottom 6 to produce. We have lost depth and production which could be a problem in the playoffs. Two 2nd round picks aren't going to help this playoff year and maybe not for several years, it makes no sense to do that trade at the deadline without bringing in a replacement, that's a draft day trade. Namestnikov shouldn't even be with the team right now but we've had injuries which forced him up so the bottom 6 would be even worse if not for him, it was a dumb trade at the time.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

We have to think deep what were yzermans reasons for dumping connolly ? because money was not the issue he could be signed next year np. Rob is a huge yzerman fan and we know he hated dumping connolly because are window is open now. does he feel erne will take the connolly role ? with the two second round picks I really have faith in al murray making those picks. I'm a guy that says lets wait and see what those draft picks become. Yzerman is know if he has extra picks he might make another trade this summer. we had extra picks with brewer and marty st.louis! that turned into garrison! and coburn! or al murray could draft a pk subban or shea weber with one of those 2nd round draft picks ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I remember tons of fANS hated trading away cory conacher! but what happened to him ? yzerman looked very smart doing that!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I also notice that gudas and connolly yzerman's first draft as tb lightning gm both traded on the same day! two players al murray did not draft maybe they did not fit yzerman's style for this team.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
We have to think deep what were yzermans reasons for dumping connolly ? because money was not the issue he could be signed next year np. Rob is a huge yzerman fan and we know he hated dumping connolly because are window is open now. does he feel erne will take the connolly role ? with the two second round picks I really have faith in al murray making those picks. I'm a guy that says lets wait and see what those draft picks become. Yzerman is know if he has extra picks he might make another trade this summer. we had extra picks with brewer and marty st.louis! that turned into garrison! and coburn! or al murray could draft a pk subban or shea weber with one of those 2nd round draft picks ?

He must have thought he would never get a better deal for Connolly. It's the only thing that makes sense. Purely asset management

He was never going to crack the top 9 here so his value would only go down the longer he waited

I'm not saying he can't be a 2nd/3rd line complimentary sniper somewhere else just that it wasn't gonna happen here

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He must have thought he would never get a better deal for Connolly. It's the only thing that makes sense. Purely asset management

He was never going to crack the top 9 here so his value would only go down the longer he waited

I'm not saying he can't be a 2nd/3rd line complimentary sniper somewhere else just that it wasn't gonna happen here

He was playing on the 3rd line with Paquette and Filpulla when traded, so he was in the top 9. Since the trade Paquette has no points and Filpulla 4, not saying Connolly is the difference but the depth scoring took a hit.

If they wanted Drouin in the top 9 then move Paquette to the 4th line where he can still be effective. Connolly is 22 and Callahan is 30, the progress Connolly was showing said to me he could've replaced Callahan in the top 6 in a year or two when Callahan slows down. Maybe Erne can take that spot be we don't know. The value we got was pretty decent so can't complain but not at the deadline when we want to make a run.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
He was playing on the 3rd line with Paquette and Filpulla when traded, so he was in the top 9. Since the trade Paquette has no points and Filpulla 4, not saying Connolly is the difference but the depth scoring took a hit.

If they wanted Drouin in the top 9 then move Paquette to the 4th line where he can still be effective. Connolly is 22 and Callahan is 30, the progress Connolly was showing said to me he could've replaced Callahan in the top 6 in a year or two when Callahan slows down. Maybe Erne can take that spot be we don't know. The value we got was pretty decent so can't complain but not at the deadline when we want to make a run.

He was on the 3rd line when traded yes, but that is with Drouin on the 4th line and Namestnikov in the AHL. I mean that going forward there's 10 guys currently on the team, that I personally see playing ahead of him in the top 9

I like Connolly but don't think he fit the mold of what Yzerman wants which seems to be Skating,IQ,Compete

He's lacking in all 3 of those although he was putting in a real good effort that last month

He's got the great shot but it only seemed to happen on broken plays. I think that why he fit in well with 2 big physical players like Morrow and Boyle

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He was on the 3rd line when traded yes, but that is with Drouin on the 4th line and Namestnikov in the AHL. I mean that going forward there's 10 guys currently on the team, that I personally see playing ahead of him in the top 9

I like Connolly but don't think he fit the mold of what Yzerman wants which seems to be Skating,IQ,Compete

He's lacking in all 3 of those although he was putting in a real good effort that last month

He's got the great shot but it only seemed to happen on broken plays. I think that why he fit in well with 2 big physical players like Morrow and Boyle

Namestnikov should still be in the A, he's been on a good run but playing 20+ and carrying the Crunch is better then his role here right now. Drouin could've flipped spots with Paquette.

There's too many forwards who are inconsistent on team, Paquette isn't ready for a full time top 9 job to me as he goes long stretches without scoring. Killorn does score enough with his minutes, Drouin is coming on but still has rough patches. Connolly was scoring goals at a high rate per 60, he's more reliable then what we have.

His skating is fine, he's no Drouin or Johnson but is above Paquette and probably Killorn. IQ is a bit iffy but not as big a deal as some make it, his compete level was becoming one of the better ones on the team. We had many games where he was one of few who showed up, we could also use his physical play.

I still haven't heard a good reason to trade him when they did. Sure his value was up but if he kept his scoring pace he pots 20, a young 20 goal scorer can get two 2nd's at the draft.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Yep and I feel yzerman saw something in Connolly that he did not like! So he sold him at his highest value he thinks.

i think it was deep or chronic injury which was did not shown by club and player untill first Bos training

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
i think it was deep or chronic injury which was did not shown by club and player untill first Bos training

No way. The league would veto the trade and possibly impose fines/forfeit of draft picks if that was the case.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Well if Connolly was scoring at the rate per 60 with an injury what's Killorn/Filpulla/Palat/Drouin/Paquette pretty much any forward outside of a few's excuse?

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
the thing i want to find out is what is drouin what is he going to become for this lightning hockey team ? lets be honest 4 goals and 28 helpers is not really what we all thought was going to happen. i'm hoping this kid pulls a kucherov next year and just flips the switch. what are the pro's of his game right now and what are his con's he needs to improve on. because are team is legit for a while we are not going to be drafting in the top 5 anytime soon getting a toews or a kane. so all in all i'm hoping drouin becomes as good as kane and toews or better.

You really need to be patient with a kid like drouin. He is only 19 yrs old. You can clearly see he is oozing with talent, cast your judgement on a 22 year old drouin and see if you still have the same reservations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad