News Article: Revisionist History

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
For as much as the past five seasons have been a huge letdown, I’d do it all again to win another cup. If you could guarantee us a cup next year, I’d trade Vilardi, Kupari, our two firsts this year, and whatever else it took.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Strike 2 - selling futures and not getting deep playoff runs out of it for 3 consecutive seasons.

I’m a little confused about this one. They had deep runs in 2012, 2013 and 2014. They got screwed in 2013 with Stoll’s injury from Raffi Torres. Would have loved to see the Kings play the Hawks with a full lineup.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I’m a little confused about this one. They had deep runs in 2012, 2013 and 2014. They got screwed in 2013 with Stoll’s injury from Raffi Torres. Would have loved to see the Kings play the Hawks with a full lineup.

Not to mention, a concussed Richards.

All in all, I still don't think the Kings get past the Hawks....remember how bad Kopitar was that year? Everyone was convinced he was injured, but I don't believe he was if I remember his comments afterwards correctly.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

I was referring to 15, 16 and 17. Trading for Sekara, Lucic, Lecavalier and Iginla all resulted in diminishing returns and looked increasingly desperate over time.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not to mention, a concussed Richards.

All in all, I still don't think the Kings get past the Hawks....remember how bad Kopitar was that year? Everyone was convinced he was injured, but I don't believe he was if I remember his comments afterwards correctly.

I still think that Bolland elbow was the finishing blow for Mike's career.

The only healthy King in that series was Quick (even Doughty was on a bum ankle), but no one was stopping the 2013 Hawks.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
For as much as the past five seasons have been a huge letdown, I’d do it all again to win another cup. If you could guarantee us a cup next year, I’d trade Vilardi, Kupari, our two firsts this year, and whatever else it took.

Me too.

Also, while its easy to say the non-buyout of Richards was a mistake, many other things which led to our quick downfall (Stoll, Voynov) were not in DL's control. I mean, I cant recall anyone predicting we'd fall so hard as to miss the playoffs right after winning the cup...

End of the day, both DL and Sutter had to go.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Me too.

Also, while its easy to say the non-buyout of Richards was a mistake, many other things which led to our quick downfall (Stoll, Voynov) were not in DL's control. I mean, I cant recall anyone predicting we'd fall so hard as to miss the playoffs right after winning the cup...

End of the day, both DL and Sutter had to go.

Especially given, even with the season ending failures, that they finished with literally the exact same record that was good enough to win the Cup in 2012. They were what, one point off tying the record for most points to miss the playoffs ever? What a f***ed up year.

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
Just blame Voynov... Every bad mistake Lombardi made was trying to fill that hole that missing Voynov created. Kings were contenders several more years until that fateful Halloween party.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad