GDT: Reviewing the Cup run - a retrospective activity

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Game 5 tonight, but first a quick review of the last 2 games, losses.

The Blues returned to St Louis with a chance to make it 3-0, so the Jets were definitely desperate. Perron made it 1-0 before a collapse in the 2nd period out the Blues behind by multiple goals. The final score was 6-3, with Binnington having a save percentage below 80% for the game.

‘Game 4 Binnington bounced back in a big way. This was a tight fought contest with both goalies playing great. The Blues lost in OT, with Binnington ending up with a 95% save percentage for the game. But this tied the series and set the stage for Winnipeg to regain home ice for game 5. It was now a 3 game series.

Game 5, Fabbri slotted in. Sanford was out of the line-up and Fabbri was back for his 2nd game. Sundqvist was centering the 2nd line with Perron and Schwartz . It’s funny to look back and see Blais and Sanford were out, and the 4th line was:
Fabbri-Barbashev-Steen.
Gunnarsson was also in for Bortuzzo.

My recording is the SN feed. No Pang call at the end. Sad face emoji.

Off the opening face off, OReilly lost it, puck went to the corner, was directed on goal at a sharp angle and Binnington deflected it straight to Lowry who punched it straight in, 12 seconds in. Here come the “You look nervous!” Chants. The rest of the 1st was played pretty evenly. The Blues didn’t show panic. About halfway through the period, Perron made a great pass to get Sundqvist in alone on a breakaway. Hellebyuk made a good save.

A few minutes later Hayes made a sweet power move on a 3 man attack where he cut in at speed across the crease, blowing by Edmundson, and muscled it through Binnington. More “you look nervous!”

I’ll be honest. At this point I was thinking, “Well, I thought there was a chance Binnington would turn into a pumpkin, but he’s played as well as we could have asked for. If they can win in St Louis, anything can happen in Game 7.” The play had been pretty even in the game, but the score was 0-2. The game prior had been scoreless through 2 periods. A 2 goal lead felt like a winning margin for sure.

The Blues made a strong push at the end of the 1st. Binnington made a nice confident save outside the blue ice at the top of his crease on a breakaway by Ehlers.

When I look at who was fighting the hardest to get back in, Perron, Pietro and Maroon stand out. Perron and Schuen swapped spots, moving Perron onto the top line. Nice job by Berube identifying this quickly. Binnington deserves credit too, he didn’t wilt after the 1st. I also think there are some coaches who would have overthought things and maybe pulled Binnington. The rest of the game showed that this would have been the wrong call.

The refs let a lot of stuff go in the 2nd. They were going to let this be decided 5 on 5 if possible.

I had completely forgotten the play where Fabbri got stripped inside the Blues blue line, and Hayes saved his own shot as it trickled across the goal line, or was about to. Parayko mugging him at the time probably contributed to that. Fabbri was a liability. Sadly, Edmundson was too much of the time. Watching more dispassionately now, I can admit it. If Hayes scores there, does Winnipeg win the series? The Hayes rental would have looked a lot better if they got some winning heroics and a longer run out of it. I’d like to think St Louis would still win the series, but you never know.

Thomas tried to lift a stick, missed and cut Kulikov’s face, 4 minute penalty. It was pretty egregious. This was a pivotal moment in this game. Remember Winnipeg had a top 5 PP in the league, and they’d been playing well. The game was more than 1/2 way over. Jets fans had to feel like they were on the cusp of putting this game away. During the PK, my attention was drawn to Pietro jawing with Laine and smiling. The Blues didn’t look like a team under duress. At the end of the 4m PK, shots were 20-20 with 26 minutes o game left. The Jets fans were chanting something here I couldn’t make out. Maybe “we want three!” Probably something else. The Blues were pressuring a lot, and then Hayes got a breakaway late in the 2nd. Binnington made the nice aggressive pad save. He wasn’t playing scared, stayed aggressive in goal.

Just a general observation from the 3 games I’ve viewed so far. This is the best hockey Bouwmeester ever played in a bluenote. It deserves to be noted.

After 2 periods, I would give Perron the MVP for Blues players. His tenacity seemed to infect Tarasenko a bit. That line with O’Reilly started to look dangerous, but I credit Perron with providing the injection of heart.

3rd period, one of the most memorable and historically important periods in Blues history. Blues start it down 0-2 on a PP. At the end of a tenacious PP, O’Reilly gets the rebound off a Schuen shot. The guy standing in front of the net who got the primary assist? Perron of course. Binnington made some nice saves through the middle of the period. The Jets took away a lot of the neutral zone as the period went along, but Binnington still had to be sharp on their attacks. One of these was a deflection by Edmundson right on. Whew!

You guys know the rest. I did notice that Winnipeg players were watching the clock more than Blues were. Perron put it over the glass at 13 minutes left for a minor penalty. Killed it off. 6 minutes left Sundqvist was pulled down as he passed it over to Schenn. There was a delay as they reviewed the net starting to come off as the puck crossed the line. I believe the ruling was eventually that the net was coming off by a Jets player, so the goal was good. We’ve seen these calls go the other way before. It was a huge break to get the call and tie up the game.

Both teams had some chances from here out. It felt like it was going to OT. About 1 minute to play, the Blues had a long shift in the zone after Parayko’s shot was blocked by Ehlers and severely hobbled him. The next face off was the shift that Bozak found Schwartz after Troubadour tried to eat the puck behind the net, 15 seconds left. The arena was playing Faith No More immediately after.

Blues win, Binnington heads straight off the ice, no celebration. Jets scored 12 seconds in, but it was the Blues scoring with 15 seconds left that decided it. That game was a huge emotional blow to Winnipeg. I don’t think they recovered.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I agree, the game 5 loss doomed the Jets. I had forgotten just how badly the Blues' backs were against the wall going into that 3rd period. When we tied it up I thought we would win. The late game winner was very unexpected and pretty darned funny. Once we won game 5 I was sure we would win game 6. I was at game six and it was such a great atmosphere.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
When the Jets tied the series at 2-2, I was afraid that the first two games just woke a sleeping giant and we were done. Game 5 changed that, and was probably the game that confirmed for me that this team could maintain that "something special" drive through the playoffs.

I still did not think we would go all the way (I carry too many scars from past playoff beatings), but up until that point I firmly held that if I were not a Blues fan for 50 years, I would probably pick this team as my Cup favorite. The third period in this game was where that disclaimer started to break down and I began to believe, albeit step-by-step. Of course, they could have confirmed my underlying fears in game 6, but they stepped up.

Game 6 and 7 in the Dallas series probably cemented my belief that "this team is different." To the point that after the game 3 ending vs. San Jose, I was not surprised that the team clamped down and showed a killer instinct. In the past, that ending would have caused "here we go again" feelings on my end.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Round 2 game1, period 3 is a hidden gem. The first two periods were overall tame but wow did the 3rd have it all. Highlight goal by Tank, tons of huge hits, forgotten highlight save by Binner, and some controversy (Dallas’s second goal). Oh and Jamie Benn had a chance to tie it with about a second left on the clock but blew it.

This one is still a head scratcher, since they won its all good. For a reminder, Dallas scored after the ref blew the play dead. Then they reviewed the play for a while to see if it was a mistake to blow the whistle. That is not a reviewable play but uses replay and rewarded Dallas the goal because the ref made a mistake. I thought of this goal right away after the Sharts hand pass goal. They could have very easily done the right thing and called the goal off if they wanted to.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Please no one spoil it for him.
First legitimate LOL moment I’ve enjoyed in a few days. In hindsight, I wish I’d created an alternate login and pretended like I was locked in a survival bunker and new to hockey, just rewatching recordings of the playoffs. My first viewings.

I will say, not dealing with the anxiety of the outcomes (like when seen live) makes it easier to see some things I didn’t notice originally.

I would probably have the same insights from the losses too, but watching 10 games with disappointing outcomes felt like a lot bigger commitment than I wanted to make.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Please no one spoil it for him.
I remember doing a similar joke the night we won the cup. After I finished watching the game at the Enterprise watch party, I went to watch the rest of the Phish show down the street at Chaifetz (well made 1 stop at O’Briens pub first lol).
Since a lot of people travel for Phish shows and the show started after the Blues game started, it wasn’t overrun with people wearing Blues gear compared to the night before.

Anyways after the show, I approached a guy in what I think was a Oshie Jersey lol. He said he dvr’d the game, I said oh I don’t want to spoil it for you. Was funnier when there

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I was driving to Illinois the night of Game 5. Can't remember why exactly; it was something family-related but that's all I recall. We were down after 2 periods and I was thinking we'd have to chalk it up and worry about Game 6 and trying to tie things up. Even after we cut the lead in half, the way the game sounded like it was going I didn't think we had a chance.

Then Schenn scores and it's "OK, let's survive this and get it to OT and see what happens." And then Schwartz scored, and I remember thinking "we just stole this one, we had no business winning this, we gotta go win Game 6 and bury them."

That was the first time I vaguely thought, shit, this year might be different. I still wasn't that convinced; I'm a long-suffering Blues fan, I've seen this story play out countless times, I've watched this franchise piss away golden chances more times than I want to count. But I do recall thinking, this is the kind of game championship teams have to win; if this year is different, it's going to take a game like this to make it happen.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
For those of you who are into such things, it appears that this weekend the NHL Network is replaying all 16 wins from the Blues’ Cup run last season. They are 90 minute condensed games, starting at 10:00 Saturday morning with Rounds 1 and 2 and continuing with the WCF and SCF on Sunday.
I may DVR those just to have the Pang calls, since my recordings look like they're mostly the Canadian feed.

Also, I was planning to watch Winnipeg Game 6 last weekend, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm not going to make it into a chore for myself, but I will post thoughts when I do get to it.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Game 6
Fabbri still in. I think Blais was coming off an injury, but at any rate he wasn’t part of the rotation yet.

Schwartz had scored the winning goal with 15 seconds left. I’d forgotten he scored so quickly in game 6, first 30 seconds. It’s hard to believe this was only his second goal of the playoffs. I’d also forgotten that Sundqvist was on the line with Schenn and Schwartz. This was the best line at this point.

I still disagree with Maurice’s decision to burn his timeout and challenge for goalie interference. It wasn’t even close. To me, that showed panic. I think rather than settle his team down, it showed a lack of confidence. Also, that was a pretty bad goal for a goalie to give up

It occurs to me that a big part of Berube’s influence (or what I attribute to him) is what he got out of Barbashev, Dunn and especially Sundqvist. He seemed to instill confidence and give these guys clear roles where they knew what they needed to do. Blais might belong in this group too. Why wasn’t Fabbri on that list? Blues fans will argue about that forever, but it didn’t happen.

Throughout the 1st period, the Blues had much better physicality and hits than the Jets. The crowd was buzzing. Fabbri had a couple breakaway opportunities toward the end of the 1st. Tarasenko had a couple dangerous looks too.

This is the first of multiple times in the playoffs where the size of the defense and the positioning and defensive tenacity of the forwards made it damn near impossible for the opponent to create a scoring chance. The thing that’s different from other low event teams that focus on defense is that the Blues also have a great quick short passing game. Also, the refs were not going to call the little stuff.

2nd period, Trouba high stick on Edmundson. Later Byfuglien punched Perron on the bench for another PP. It took more than half the period before the Jets got a shot on goal. A little after mid-game shots are 22-6. Late on the PP Schwartz gets a rebound after a scramble and pots his 2nd. It was all St Louis. One name I don’t think I heard all game was Laine. Edmundson hit the cross-bar. Shots for the period 16-1 with, 26-6 after 2 periods. In an elimination game, behind by a goal, the Jets had a single shot in the 2nd.

Looking at the ticker, at this point Toronto led Boston in the series 3-2, Vegas ahead of San Jose 3-2.

4 minutes into the 3rd, Schwartz jukes Byfuglien badly, cuts across the middle, and puts it in high over Hellyebuk. Here come the hats! 3-0 lead. Schenn didn’t get an assist on the goal, but he created the passing option that froze the goalie. The Blues crowd starts chanting, “You look nervous!”

A little under 8 minutes left, Byfuglien cleans up a rebound and gets the Jets on the board. Jets pull the goalie with 2:30 left. Wheeler highsticks Sundqvist for a double minor, bleeding from the side of his eye. Among other chances, Schwartz hit one off the pipe vs the empty net. Crazy to think the Blues allowed a goal after this. One goal game with 36 seconds left, still on the Blues PP and Winnipeg with no timeout due to the failed challenge at the beginning of the game. Binnington has to make some saves to clinch it. Last face-off, Little wins the draw, but the savvy Steen is there to intercept the pass to Laine for a last chance one-timer.

This was a pretty even series, but game 6 was not close at all. The score makes it look like a closer game than the flow of play actually looked most of the game. The Blues won so many 50/50 pucks and hustle plays. I don’t think the Jets ever recovered from the mental gut punch of losing Game 5.

Tarasenko had a few dangerous moments, but he looked like a decoy a lot of the time in this series. I’m not sure how much of that was Vlad being ineffective and how much was being the defensive priority for Winnipeg. In many ways he doesn’t fit Berube’s style of play ideally. I was thinking about this in the context of the Blues leading the conference without Vlad almost all season. I wonder how much he’ll add if the league ends up having the playoffs.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m watching the NHL channel Blues cup games. I had actually forgotten how close every game was in the first two rounds. Enjoyed reliving Parayko almost killing Bishop with the slapshot in game 6, lol!!!!
Winnipeg could have won that series, but the Blues dominated the final game. The Dallas series felt the same way.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I think game 5 of the Winnipeg series was the turning point. Down by 2 going into the third in Winnipeg. The tying goal with the net coming off as the goal was scored. Then the killer goal by Schwartz with 15 seconds left. That turned the series. Blues came out in game 6 and put them away.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Game 5 against Winnipeg is when I knew the Blues had a chance to win the Cup. I remember thinking it that night, that this team might actually do it.

The Jets had a stacked roster last year. If we were able to beat them, nobody else in the West scared me.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Game 5 against Winnipeg is when I knew the Blues had a chance to win the Cup. I remember thinking it that night, that this team might actually do it.

The Jets had a stacked roster last year. If we were able to beat them, nobody else in the West scared me.

The Jets were the only team in the west to scare me. I wonder how the Jets would have done vs the Bruins? Would have been a good series

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The Jets were the only team in the west to scare me. I wonder how the Jets would have done vs the Bruins? Would have been a good series
Vegas was a concern too. They would have exacted a much bigger physical toll than San Jose, even Blues beat them. They had the experience and confidence. The San Jose series was the easiest series of the playoffs, and a good way to avoid being so banged up going into Boston.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Round 2 Game 1 vs Dallas

We switch to the NBCSN national feeds. Hello Pierre! Dallas had vanquished the division champs Preds.

The teams looked like they were feeling each other out early. The Blues took

a while to get a shot on goal. Dallas was more urgent. I am reminded that Heiskenen is awesome, and that Roope Hintz was a bit of a revelation for me. His speed and effectiveness surprised me.

Dallas played like a better coached team than Winnipeg did. They were more prepared for how the Blues try to bring the puck in transition. I thought losing Montgomery would be a real loss to their post-season threat level. We’ll have to see what they look like. I hope he makes a return to coaching.

Robby Fabbri with the first goal. This was the Blues first shot of the game, and it was a terrible goal for Bishop to give up, 5 hole from distance. This moment was the high point of Fabbri’s postseason. We haven’t seen Blais yet. Looking back at how Blais’ role turned out, I was surprised to remember he hadn’t even played yet.

Schwartz also looked like a rejuvenated player after the Game winner, then the hat trick in Game 6. He was feeling it, after that frustrating season where he was snake bitten for months. He looked to shoot every time the puck came to him.

2nd period, these teams know each other well. The Blues on the PP, and I’m reminded of how statistically poor the special teams were in the postseason last year. The improvements on the PP this season stand out in stark contrast with the playoff version from last year.

Midpoint of the 2nd period, Fabbri came off his man, leaving Spezza open for the cross ice pass and the tying goal. It wasn’t his only defensive lapse, and I think that’s what ultimately sank his boat.

I got the feeling Tarasenko had a good talk with coaches before the series. He wasn’t a big factor in the Jets series. He was more physical and more aggressive with his cuts in Game 1 vs Dallas here. I get done typing that, and Vlad draws a penalty off Polak late in the 2nd b driving the net, followed by scoring the PP goal as he skated in from the point and beat Bishop down low.

The broadcast highlights Larry Robinson in the press box. They attribute him with separating Bouwmeester and Pietro. I think he made a huge contribution to this team. I wonder who was most responsible for bringing him in? But it seems he was responsible for creating the Parayko/Bouwmeester shut-down pairing.

Period 3, Tarasenko scores again on a power cut to the crease again. He was really skating with authority. This time, he beat Bishop up high. Man I miss seeing Vlad playing like that.

Binnington also deserves a lot of credit for this win. He battled hard. He made some tough saves. He was particularly stronger with his pads than what I’ve grown used to seeing with Allen. 10 minutes left, he made a great lunging blocker save on Hintz all alone in front. Are we going to get a Jordan Binnington biographic? I’d love to read more about the behind the scenes details during his minor league saga and his eventual call-up. Did he really email Armstrong to say he was ready? A few minutes left in the game, Comeau ran him over when Binnington came way out to play a puck. Dunn immediately jumped Comeau. Lindell and Pietro squared off, and Lindell saw he could get Alex off the ice tried to make it into a punch-throwing fight. The refs didn’t fall for it, and they got matching roughing calls.

Dallas pulled the goalie with 3 minutes left, then managed to get a 2nd goal. The Blues had built their 2 goal lead, and was able to absorb the late goal, still winning 3-2.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
A brief recap of Game 2:
Roope Hintz was huge. 2 goals (one an empty net) and a primary assist on the give and go with Zucarello to create a 2 goal lead. Besides Bishop and Heiskanen, he’s the guy I’d want most off that team (taking salary into account). Bishop played great. The Blues were 0-5 on the PP going down 5-2 at home.

Game 3:
I’m surprised to see that Fabbri is still in there. He got a lot more postseason games during the run than I remembered. Bortuzzo is in for Edmundson, and the Blues move into Dallas for Game 3.

90 seconds in and OReilly makes a great pass off the wall to Parayko at the point, Boom!, and Schwartz with a nasty nasty tip. First shot, first goal and quieted the crowd. Schwartz’s 6th goal of the playoffs. If I squint and tip my head, I can almost remember back when Schwartz was a snake bitten guy who didn’t score in the regular season.

With the lead, the Blues really clogged up the neutral zone, forcing dump ins. With the big defenders and Binnington’s puck handling, the opponent just doesn’t retrieve many pucks for an effective attack after a dump and chase. If I’m playing St Louis in the playoffs, I do NOT want to give up the first goal.

At this point of the playoffs, Schwartz looked like he was going to score on almost every shift. He was playing with confidence, looking for his shot, and making passes to dangerous areas to create scoring chances. Also noticing that Parayko just takes away sooooo much ice. It must be deflating to try to skate around him.

Late in the 1st the Blues get the 1st PP. The game after an 0-5 performance, the don’t really do much with the opportunity. Two thoughts: Dallas had an awesome PK. They held Nashville to 0 for 25 or something like that for their whole series. Second, you can appreciate the tweaks to the PP a lot after watching the structure from last playoffs again. It was so much more consistently dangerous this year, even if the percentage of success is only narrowly better.

Later in the 1st, Bouwmeester took a tripping penalty. I’m just so happy watching him play, I don’t care! Bortuzzo flubbed the clearing attempt and Bozak got outmuscled by 2 Stars, leading to Spezza’s tying goal. The period ended pretty even on shots and scoring chances.

2nd period, Bouwmeester to the box again on a delay of game. It’s OK Bouwmeester, we still love you! About midpoint of the period, Dunn penetrates down the right side on Janmark, flips it back to Thomas who shoots it, tribbling past Bishop, and Bozak muscled it in decisively. A little later, Vladdy flubbed a pass on a 3 on 2, which led to a Radulov breakaway. Binner stopped it, very timely save. The 2nd was a lot more open, with end to end chances. As the period wore on, the Blues got more and more of the better of that.

Late in the 3rd, Bishop made a brilliant pass to spring Cogliano for another breakaway. Need I mention, Binnington stopped it. 3:30 left in the period and Lindell dove on the Bortuzzo crosscheck. They both got penalties, but that was a pretty egregious dive. It occurred during a Dallas PP so it stayed 5 on 4. Polak has gotten a high stick from Gunnarsson. At the end of the PK, Gunnarsson rushed out of the box and helped get the puck to squirt across the blue line, next thing you know Bozak is on a breakaway. The defender (Janmark) caught him, and the shot ended up deflecting to barely roll outside the post.

3rd period. The teams exchanged chances. 8 minutes left St Louis is still protecting a 1 goal lead and go on the PP after Polak highsticked Thomas. This is what led to that maddening sequence where Cogliano and Janmark bear Dunn with Tarasenko trailing. They tied the game with a shortie. It’s incredible how much easier the playoffs could have been if the PP had been better. It could have avoided probably 3 more games that were needed. Late in the PP Pietro hit the post. A moment later after the PP expired, Pietro did score on a shot from the point from a Bouwmeester pass. 5 minutes left in the game and the arena got a lot more quiet again after the explosion for the SHG. This was the Blues 4th road game of the playoffs, and they were undefeated.

About 1 minute and a half later, Pietro made a bad wall pass to OReilly which led to a sequence where Heiskanen made a cross-ice pass where Seguin beat Gunnarsson for another tying goal. The crowd woke up again! #BANG guy!

With 1:38 left Maroon pushed Lindell in front of the net, who went down. I didn’t notice this at the time, but it looks like Lindell was diving and reaching with his stick to try and get the puck before it went behind the net. Instead, Maroon retrieved it and backed in uncovered and beat Bishop up high. Rather than Maroon pushing off and interfering, I think Lindell just made a bad judgement. Maybe he intended to stay on his skates and reach for the puck, and it turned into a reaching dive, but I think Lindell was not simply shoved down. I never noticed this when it happened.

Just to make life interesting, Parayko put it over the glass while Dallas had the goalie pulled. The Blues had to kill the last 43 seconds 6 on 4. The final buzzer sounds, and Bouwmeester is first in line to punch Binnington in the face.

Dallas had to be glad to see St Louis not re-sign Maroon. The dude got two huge game-winners in the series, and was a handful for the Dallas defense. I really like Dallas’ overall defense, but it is susceptible to big power type players. It’s the biggest difference between the Blues and Stars overall team play, in my opinion.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
That series with the Bruins had heartbreak written all over it...and it didn't happen! :yo:

Edit: Jumping way ahead. The same could be said of the Dallas series too. :help:

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Watching some of last year's playoff games over the last week or so reminded me of just how good Binnington was when it was needed the most. Over Games 5, 6 and 7 of these four series, he was 8-2 with a 1.45 GAA and a 0.947 SP. He had just one game of those 10 (Game 4 of the SCF) where he gave up more than two goals. Talk about giving your team every opportunity to win when EVERYTHING was on the line.

He. Was. Money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad