GDT: Reviewing the Cup run - a retrospective activity

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I’m watching the NHL channel Blues cup games. I had actually forgotten how close every game was in the first two rounds. Enjoyed reliving Parayko almost killing Bishop with the slapshot in game 6, lol!!!!

I was playing church league, old man softball (as my wife and kids refer to it) and the radio feed was playing over the speakers of the concession stand
all I caught was Bishop was down and out of the net and no one could quite figure out what happened
when I watched the replay later it was like --- ohhh, now I get it

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Watching some of last year's playoff games over the last week or so reminded me of just how good Binnington was when it was needed the most. Over Games 5, 6 and 7 of these four series, he was 8-2 with a 1.45 GAA and a 0.947 SP. He had just one game of those 10 (Game 4 of the SCF) where he gave up more than two goals. Talk about giving your team every opportunity to win when EVERYTHING was on the line.

He. Was. Money.
Seeing all those "fluke goalie. Hammond 2.0" comments really made his performances even more epic. Everyone but the team and blues fans were against him and couldn't wait for him to fail. Also lol at the "we cracked him" from Bruins fans the whole final. Yeah, Binnington sure looked weak in game 7 lol

Reactions: Brockon and TK 421

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
FSSW playing classic Stars games. Tonight they had a couple playoff games against us from their 1999 Cup run. Great to watch guys like Pronger, Mac, Turgeon, and Demitra again. Striking how much different game was 20 years ago. So much slower then. Lots of flagrant stick work and obstruction and blatant tripping went uncalled. Nobody really cycled. Less of a possession game. Fun to watch so many old favorites, but modern game to me is far more exciting.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
FSSW playing classic Stars games. Tonight they had a couple playoff games against us from their 1999 Cup run. Great to watch guys like Pronger, Mac, Turgeon, and Demitra again. Striking how much different game was 20 years ago. So much slower then. Lots of flagrant stick work and obstruction and blatant tripping went uncalled. Nobody really cycled. Less of a possession game. Fun to watch so many old favorites, but modern game to me is far more exciting.
And Pronger played over 36 ministers in regulation in game 2!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Problem of course with watching classic game on other team’s cable channel is they only play games where Blues lose.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Watching some of last year's playoff games over the last week or so reminded me of just how good Binnington was when it was needed the most. Over Games 5, 6 and 7 of these four series, he was 8-2 with a 1.45 GAA and a 0.947 SP. He had just one game of those 10 (Game 4 of the SCF) where he gave up more than two goals. Talk about giving your team every opportunity to win when EVERYTHING was on the line.

He. Was. Money.
So you are saying he is the exact opposite of that Allen guy that we’ve had for a while? The guy who was the Blues starting goalie to begin the cup winning season and the backup was a guy that I can’t even remember his name lol?

Pretty sure our backup last season is already out of the league, was his name Brent Johnson?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So you are saying he is the exact opposite of that Allen guy that we’ve had for a while? The guy who was the Blues starting goalie to begin the cup winning season and the backup was a guy that I can’t even remember his name lol?

Pretty sure our backup last season is already out of the league, was his name Brent Johnson?
Chad

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Well, late to the party as usual... Finally dug up all 26 games online leading to Gloria being played for the summer! Reddit FTW here!

I've started re-watching as well, I anticipate watching a game every 2-3 nights, so as to draw this out until the season can resume. This said, it's been 5 days since I watched game 1 vs WPG because I'm rebuilding a fence by hand for my uncle and I've fallen asleep in the opening 3 minutes of game 2 3 nights in a row.

Standing out from game 1.

Thomas' jitters as a playoff rookie are evident. I remember him being huge later in our run, but here his passes are off or his possession is disrupted with regularity.

Maroon is a physical speciment out there, but the criticisms of his slow foot speed or lack of IQ still show, as he's a few steps behind several of the Ozone plays, creating turnovers. His contribution to the dominant 3rd line hasn't yet been made.

Hearing Edmundson's name called out in the play by play is still jarring. For all the hate piled on him, he still played fairly well in this game (and my memory may be off, but through this series as well).

Binny is f***ing mint in this game. Remaining that focused in a Jets barn after being dumped in the opening minute and being down 1 as an NHL playoff virgin... Rookie savior for the 2018-19 Blues, without any questions from me again. EVER.

Seeing Tarasenko out there on the ice, doing Tarasenko things is f***ing awesome! Seeing him on the ice, generating chances (That breakaway!) makes me so anxious to see what his impact will be returning to finish this season (whenever the hell that happens), because healthy Tarasenko is just such a force when he's engaged.

ROR is so clutch. Playing near the full final 2:05 of the game and winning key draws, this is who DA paid for. The offence through the playoffs was unexpected in my eyes, the dominanting shutdown center to handle the Dzone and PK is what I loved about the acquisition - the added offence as a 1C was icing on the cake.

Steen for all the run-down, trade him/buy him out commentary is huge in the closing minutes of the game as well. Defensive stalwart. It's a shame his contract and its burden in the final year will be his most salient point regarding the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons after his career here.

Bozak was just humming. On top of the game winner, he had a number of great scoring opportunities that Hellebuyck shutdown.

Nightmare flashback fuel watching this game, because it can't all be sunshine and lollipops. We iced the puck too much, missing those empty nets too often... I remember how that could have easily been our undoing against San Jose had they not fallen apart as we channeled the anger over the handpass fiasco into utterly destroying them.

Probably not watching the 2nd game tonight, maybe tomorrow???

Also unsure if anyone cares about my observations of the re-watch, given how behind the times I am with my sessions.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well, late to the party as usual... Finally dug up all 26 games online leading to Gloria being played for the summer! Reddit FTW here!

I've started re-watching as well, I anticipate watching a game every 2-3 nights, so as to draw this out until the season can resume. This said, it's been 5 days since I watched game 1 vs WPG because I'm rebuilding a fence by hand for my uncle and I've fallen asleep in the opening 3 minutes of game 2 3 nights in a row.

Thomas' jitters as a playoff rookie are evident. I remember him being huge later in our run, but here his passes are off or his possession is disrupted with regularity.

Maroon is a physical speciment out there, but the criticisms of his slow foot speed or lack of IQ still show, as he's a few steps behind several of the Ozone plays, creating turnovers. His contribution to the dominant 3rd line hasn't yet been made.

Hearing Edmundson's name called out in the play by play is still jarring. For all the hate piled on him, he still played fairly well in this game (and my memory may be off, but through this series as well).

Binny is f***ing mint in this game. Remaining that focused in a Jets barn after being dumped in the opening minute and being down 1 as an NHL playoff virgin... Rookie savior for the 2018-19 Blues, without any questions from me again. EVER.

Seeing Tarasenko out there on the ice, doing Tarasenko things is f***ing awesome! Seeing him on the ice, generating chances (That breakaway!) makes me so anxious to see what his impact will be returning to finish this season (whenever the hell that happens), because healthy Tarasenko is just such a force when he's engaged.

ROR is so clutch. Playing near the full final 2:05 of the game and winning key draws, this is who DA paid for. The offence through the playoffs was unexpected in my eyes, the dominanting shutdown center to handle the Dzone and PK is what I loved about the acquisition - the added offence as a 1C was icing on the cake.

Steen for all the run-down, trade him/buy him out commentary is huge in the closing minutes of the game as well. Defensive stalwart. It's a shame his contract and its burden in the final year will be his most salient point regarding the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons after his career here.

Bozak was just humming. On top of the game winner, he had a number of great scoring opportunities that Hellebuyck shutdown.

Nightmare flashback fuel watching this game, because it can't all be sunshine and lollipops. We iced the puck too much, missing those empty nets too often... I remember how that could have easily been our undoing against San Jose had they not fallen apart as we channeled the anger over the handpass fiasco into utterly destroying them.

Also unsure if anyone cares about my observations of the re-watch, given how behind the times I am with my sessions.
I'd like to read your comments, if you bother to post them.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'd like to read your comments, if you bother to post them.

Well, thanks man.

I'll try to keep track of my thoughts and write something insightful or nostalgic after each game.

Yes, even the blowout loses. It's not like I've got many more pressing matters to preoccupy me...

My main goal is to be done my trip down memory lane ahead of an anticipated July resumption of the current season (yes, the dates are still speculative, but god damn do I need something to look forward to!).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Good analysis! Please continue!

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Game 2 vs Jets (notes are all over the place, as I add to them intermittently through the game).

ROR taking some pretty ugly hits into the boards early in the game.

Scheifele making a number of questionable hits, I don't remember him being such a shyster. But through the first few games, taking advantage of being able to rewind and rewatch certain plays...

Thomas early in the first pulls up to avoid a hit from Chiarot, turning over the puck on Ozone entry. As game progresses, that line of Maroon, Thomas and Bozy doing some nifty cycling work, including Patty tying up the game 2-2.

Maroon looking like a better fit here, not as noticeably out of position and much more in sync with linemates in a slower, heavier game.

Sunny is just such a versatile piece for this team - playing up and down the lineup, PKing and providing big goals. His contract is a huge boon to us, allowing us to overpay elsewhere and still not look much worse for wear.

Probably watching game 3 tonight or tomorrow, because I took forever to watch game 2.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Watching Dallas Game 6. Finally, the insertion of Blais and exit of Fabbri. I was surprised in this review to realize how long it took for him to get into the line-up. I think he was returning from a shoulder injury or something.

This is also the first game (of an eventual 3) where the Blues faced elimination the entire playoffs.

I don’t have time tonight, but I’ll have to review to tomorrow how the Blues ended up down 2-3 in the series. Until the last game, the Jets series was very close. Dallas had to feel like that was a series they could have won.

Pietro got an early goal where Bishop was screened. It was a perfectly placed shot from the point. 3rd shot of the game. Sundqvist and Schenn looked active early, helping to create chances.

Lol, I think it’s Kendall Coyne, but she said, “The Blues know Dallas can create nothing out of something with their speed.”

Dallas had an aggressive and effective PK. Some of it was just great personnel, but I like what they did on the PK.

I forgot this was the game with the cleavage girl behind the Dallas bench. I believe this was parodied by a guy with a beard in Game 7.

Seguin ties it 1-1 with a PP goal that leaked through Binnington and eked across the line. #BANG. Just prior to that, Tarasenko took a heavy hit. Who was there to pop the offender in the face a little later? Captain Pietro. This game, he was money and he was physical. It was a great counterpoint to that game where Binn just laid on him.

Dunn got abused a bit this game. He got matched up against speed he couldn’t match. In contrast, Heiskanen is a treat to watch. I’m jealous.

Other than maybe ROR, is there a Blues player who had the puck on his stick more often than Oskar Sundqvist? Forechecking? Backchecking? Neutral zone? Don’t worry, Oskar will get that puck.

Whenever I see Lovejoy skating for Dallas, I think of Get Shorty and I hear the soundtrack in my head.

Earlier in the year, I attended a game in Dallas. Some Blues fans tried to get a “Let’s Go Blues!” chant going. A Stars fan near me yelled, “Last Place Blues!” I wonder if he was at Game 6.

Some nice action in the 2nd, both ways with the game tied. Dallas had the better of the chances. Late in the period, Sundqvist with a cross-ice pass and Perron outmuscled Klingberg. They ended the period with just a handful of shots, but also with the 2-1 lead.

The 4th line was fairly quiet this game, one of the few of the playoffs. At the 15:00 mark, Bishop was stung by Janmark’s stick while Janmark was wrestling with Maroon. I think Bishop was probably trying to sell it for a penalty vs Maroon, but no one was buying. The Blues really did dominate this period. Shots were hard to come by.

Now the famous sequence where Parayko took a full power slap shot at Bishop’s clavicle. The most incredible thing about the sequence was Steen’s sense to throw the puck on net immediately, and Schwartz tipping it straight in. Bishop stayed in. Next shift, Blais got a breakaway after a great defensive play by OReilly. Sammy took a slap shot and Bishop flinched. Welcome Khudobin. 4-1 with almost 12 minutes left.

The game went from being an intense 1 goal game to being pretty well over. Most of the rest was the Blues just shutting down center ice and getting it deep for the cycle. Dallas pulled the goalie with 5 minutes left.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I'll bet that Parayko shot hurt like a bastard. Tons of credit for the smarts of Blais to pull up for a slapper on the breakaway just after. Laughs at Dallas fans for behind outraged at the whole thing.:laugh:

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'll bet that Parayko shot hurt like a bastard. Tons of credit for the smarts of Blais to pull up for a slapper on the breakaway just after. Laughs at Dallas fans for behind outraged at the whole thing.:laugh:
I can understand the argument that play should be stopped. I’d probably have felt that way, but in reality just be mad to lose like that. But it was delayed by maybe 5 seconds, probably less. The injury wasn’t life-threatening (well, there wasn’t an injury just pain) and he stayed in. The situations where 5 seconds will matter are limited to things like Bouwmeester’s heart stopping and a guy bleeding out from a skate injury.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
There was no controversy on that call, it was the right one. The play doesn’t stop unless the opposition gives up control of the puck.

You never see it with goalies because goalies only go down on direct contact with a player and those plays are usually blown dead for goaltender interference. Bishop’s flopping reputation didn’t help his case, I’m sure it hurt but man the f up! He was expecting the refs to bail him out like they always do

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Their fans are so dumb. The only time they made any noise was for a goal and every time a Star fell down.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Yep, "because it hurts" is no reason to stop play. Pity Bishop a bit though, it must have felt like that puck went through him and left a hole. And I agree, the dumbfounded reaction from many of their fans shows Dallas has many fans still very new to the game.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
On the whole Bishop situation, I didn't realize how much of a diver he was until that series. I've been saying for 12 months now that he probably could have covered the puck in OT2 of Game 7 before Maroon poked it in if he hadn't been selling the idea that he got high-sticked instead of getting hit in the back of the head with the puck. I'm sure it didn't feel good, but his initial reaction was (as usual) to go down like he was shot, but the post would have absorbed most of the energy from the shot so it certainly didn't hit him hard enough to knock him down.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think Bishop's diving habits influenced the ref's decision to let play go on when he went down to the Parayko shot. The ref was right behind the net and could see that it was his shoulder and not his head(also that his helmet was still on), so he didn't blow the whistle.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
—In response to MissouriMook’s last post:

It never crossed my mind that Bishop might have been flopping to draw a call on the game 7 winner. To most it would appear he felt the puck hit his back and then he lunged forward so he doesn’t knock the puck in himself. I never understood why he did that when the puck already hit him in the back. He also froze after lunging forward.
Most goalies would immediately lay on their back into the “snow man” position when they don’t know where a loose puck in the crease is. I just looked at it as a screw up by Bishop.

You might be on to something with the flop. Flopping is such a major part of his game that I’m sure he does it instinctively without thinking about it. So maybe he thought it was a high stick that hit him, so he lunged forward and acted like he was stunned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->