Post-Game Talk: Reverse-win jerseys should go the way of the Expos, extinct. Habs lose to Kraken.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Collective guilt is a nasty concept and I’d hope the Habs organization would be better mannered than to discriminate against innocent teenagers.

Russians were drafted last draft and they will be drafted in the next one too.
The Russians won't stop at Ukraine. Also want Poland, Romania, etc. to secure themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they start drafting these hockey players to fight in the next 5 years. Unless you're like Panarin and gtfo because you hate the government, it's not looking too good for the decade. Russia only has one chance at this with their age demographics so they'll take full advantage of that in the next few years. It's not discrimination because it's not unjust. It's completely warranted to be cautious of players coming out of a country in war, that will probably draft them to the military once they become adults in a war that'll probably last years.

Michkov is the only exception if be willing to take a risk for

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
The Russians won't stop at Ukraine. Also want Poland, Romania, etc. to secure themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they start drafting these hockey players to fight in the next 5 years. Unless you're like Panarin and gtfo because you hate the government, it's not looking too good for the decade. Russia only has one chance at this with their age demographics so they'll take full advantage of that in the next few years. It's not discrimination because it's not unjust. It's completely warranted to be cautious of players coming out of a country in war, that will probably draft them to the military once they become adults in a war that'll probably last years.

Michkov is the only exception if be willing to take a risk for
Not going to get into geopolitics on a hockey board. But it absolutely is discrimination against Russian hockey players and I welcome you to reflect on the notion a bit more before spouting off on it.

I respect you’re not expressing bigotry but rather (excessive) caution.
You also take a risk by drafting them. Maybe Russia doesn't let them leave, we don't know. Michkov is also still locked up in a contract. Gonna have another Malkin situation methinks.
I think this is a much more fair statement than the original. There is a risk they cannot leave their contract. It’s up to Gorton and Hughes to properly investigate the situation and develop the relationship with the player. I have no doubt top hockey players want to play in the top league — it would be a shame to discriminate against them for things they cannot control.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not going to get into geopolitics on a hockey board. But it absolutely is discrimination against Russian hockey players and I welcome you to reflect on the notion a bit more before spouting off on it.

Choosing to not draft a player, or adapt the drafting stretegy, because that player can't legally join the team before 2026 at the earliest is absolutely not discrimination. I'm perfectly aware that was not quite what you were replying to.

Reactions: The Real Timo

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Choosing to not draft a player, or adapt the drafting stretegy, because that player can't legally join the team before 2026 at the earliest is absolutely not discrimination. I'm perfectly aware that was not quite what you were replying to.
Hell, it might force the Habs not to rush and bust yet another top draft pick 😂

Think of the upside!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hell, it might force the Habs not to rush and bust yet another top draft pick 😂

Think of the upside!
*At the earliest.

But I suspect this will create some Jagr-like situation, where the player that's obviously the best of the group will be drafted a little later due to doubts as to whether he'll be able to join.

And, frankly, teams like the Habs with many 1st rounds may just be in the best situation to take such a gamble, especially with the second first rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP and ReHabs

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Either Bedard or Michkov is all I care about at this point. Carlsson or Fantilli would be decent consolation prizes.

Another loss oh well. We need to be fully invested in the Florida tank at this point, because the Habs tank is a sure thing.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

I respect you’re not expressing bigotry but rather (excessive) caution.
I mean we as a society openly "discriminate" on certain terms that allowed said actions to take place. Men paying more for car insurance is an example. Is anyone arguing that that is unjust discrimination or is it maybe a reaction to reality. If men weren't as risky, the insurance premiums would probably go down. If Russia wasnt fighting in a war, organizations would probably not care about the nationality of a player before drafting them

Reactions: salbutera

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
How much do we really know about Michkov, his play on small ice or his desire to come to the NHL? we talk a lot about the western guys, but i don't see much about Russians here. Almost feels a bit mythical this Michkov guy. Obviously not being able to play at the wjc didn't help us see him in action.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Sorry, disagree. Sports have always and will always be entrenched in politics. Especially habs fans (we make it our identity). To believe otherwise is to have our heads buried in sand. Unless there's some dramatic turn of events with Russia, I'd be surprised a single Russian (that's not already in America) gets drafted.

Michkov will get drafted.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I mean we as a society openly "discriminate" on certain terms that allowed said actions to take place. Men paying more for car insurance is an example. Is anyone arguing that that is unjust discrimination or is it maybe a reaction to reality. If men weren't as risky, the insurance premiums would probably go down. If Russia wasnt fighting in a war, organizations would probably not care about the nationality of a player before drafting them
Sigh.. you went there. Men are better drivers. Here. I said it! :D

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Either Bedard or Michkov is all I care about at this point. Carlsson or Fantilli would be decent consolation prizes.

Another loss oh well. We need to be fully invested in the Florida tank at this point, because the Habs tank is a sure thing.
Carlsson or Fantilli would be huge for the Habs both of them have 1C potentiel

Reactions: Gravity

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
How much do we really know about Michkov, his play on small ice or his desire to come to the NHL? we talk a lot about the western guys, but i don't see much about Russians here. Almost feels a bit mythical this Michkov guy. Obviously not being able to play at the wjc didn't help us see him in action.
I feel like a team that is already contending may take a flyer on Michkov. Because they don't desperately need to improve. Habs would likely go for a sure thing (sure, as in, available and ready to join). So other than Bedard and Fantilli (who, I honestly, wasn;t too impressed with)... who else are we looking at here? I read about some Carlsson guy... is he more bigger? Can he block shots on the 4th line? Can he be taught to be a better person? All very important questions to figure out.

Habs need skills mean guys on the team. The team is still full of cream puffs.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Marty has them clapising below the hash marks to protect the net and prevent goals. It's not working well. Once Montreal retrieves the puck in their own end there is no one to pass to because 5 guys are below the hash marks so they just chip it out. This is another problem because the team did scores a lot of their goals in transition. Playing not to lose instead of playing the win.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Went through the highlights, or is it lowlights?lol. A well deserved loss for our beloved boys in blue,and that's just for those ghastly uniforms,good thing Sam was sharp or it could have been even more embarrassing. As bad as those uniforms are,still feels humiliating to lose to an expansion team filled with rejects. Thought I saw Molson smiling though as he's still packing the house and selling product,good for him.lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad