Line Combos: Reunite ROR and Landy

nothin fancy

Oct 14, 2011
Newfoundland
When is ROR going to be reunited with Landy?

Moving forward with this team is so unpredictable until the ROR/Stastny situation gets figured out. Is one getting traded, both staying, I dont think we will know untill next season.

I personally would like to run three lines. Make a couple of moves at the trade deadline or draft and run with this set up for the future.

Mcginn -Duchene -PAP
Landy -ROR -Hishon (if possible) or Downie
Sgarbossa -Stansty -Downie or prospect/ draft/ UFA

It seems to be a potentially solid top 9. Round out the 4th line with Mitchell, Mcleod, Hejduk, or other projected 4th line players/ prospects.

Kobasew at the deadline for a pick. Jones at the deadline or the draft (retain 1mil).
Olver, Bordeleau, Connolly, Malone, Palushaj, if there not in the plans long term, get what you can at the deadline or the draft.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Hishon probably won't play for this team.

Landy and ROR should be paired together since it's quite obvious that he does not work well with Stastny.

Stastny needs to be traded, he's just too night and day.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
While I agree on putting those two back together 'eventually', there are two things keeping me from wanting it actually done.

For one... If they are going to trade Stastny, then he needs the best line-mates to bolster his value. (I personally want to keep all three if we can get Stastny's contract down a little (5.5M AAV), and O'Reilly to agree to a long term 5M AAV contract.)

Second, O'Reilly plays a better bottom six game, and is just more versitile in who he can be effective with.

We as fans are going to have to be a little understanding with O'Reilly and his paycheck. I think most of us can see that he is worth his contract. I mean look how well hes played after being out so long...

But.. until he gets the ice time and line-mates needed to produce offensively at a top 6 level. We are going to have to be objective & patient, and hope that management can do the same.

One thing that is comforting to know is that 'if' one of our centers gets injured, we still have two top 6 centers. So you pay a little more to O'Reilly with the understanding that hes more valuable than a third line center, but as long as their contracts collectively are reasonable. It can be managed...

It sounds a lot better to say we're paying 16-17M for 3 top 6 centers, than to just say we are paying 5M AAV for a third line center.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm tired of people taking away Stastny's linemates and then complaining when he doesn't produce.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If it was up to me, for the rest of this season I'd role:

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/Stastny/Hejduk
Mitchell/O'Reilly/Palushaj
McLeod/Olver/Bordeleau

Sit Jones, he sucks, please either find him a suitor at the deadline or buy him out in the summer. Then next season, I'd go with

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/Stastny/Free Agent
Mitchell/O'Reilly/Downie
McLeod/Olver/Free Agent or Bordeleau, 4th line doesn't concern me

Now, it'd be great if we could find a good 2nd line right winger for Stastny to play with, all this is based on Jones being traded/bought out and Hejduk retiring. Also, it'd be nice to find O'Reilly a left winger to play with and move Mitchell to the 4C. As much as I love Mitchell and he has played fantastic this season, he just is not a winger, he's a centreman and centre ice is where he belongs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/Stastny/Hejduk
McLeod/Olver/Bordeleau

Sit Jones, he sucks, please either find him a suitor at the deadline or buy him out in the summer. Then next season, I'd go with

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Mitchell/O'Reilly/Downie

Now, it'd be great if we could find a good 2nd line right winger for Stastny to play with, all this is based on Jones being traded/bought out and Hejduk retiring. Also, it'd be nice to find O'Reilly a left winger to play with and move Mitchell to the 4C. As much as I love Mitchell and he has played fantastic this season, he just is not a winger, he's a centreman and centre ice is where he belongs

I like Horton for that free-agent position, honestly there isn't really any better options out there. Clarkson would be great but I don't see him leaving NJ.

(I know plenty of people don't like Horton because of his injury history, but if he stays healthy this whole year. I think hes fine, and he has Stanley Cup winning playoff experience, in which he was a big factor in.)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't mind playing Landeskog with O'Reilly, providing Stastny gets McGinn.

Jones - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn - Stastny - Hejduk
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Mitchell
McLeod - Kobasew - Bordeleau

Three strong pairs.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/Stastny/Hejduk
McLeod/Olver/Bordeleau

McGinn/Duchene/Parenteau
Mitchell/O'Reilly/Downie

Think keeping Jones around as insurance for Downie might not be a bad idea. Starting to feel like with his style of play, Downie may be a 50-60 game a year player. Since we have the cap space putting Jones in a rotation at 2,3,4 RW with Downie and a cheaper FA (Brunner, Fehr? or resign PJ) or Draft choice would not upset me.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Think keeping Jones around as insurance for Downie might not be a bad idea. Starting to feel like with his style of play, Downie may be a 50-60 game a year player. Since we have the cap space putting Jones in a rotation at 2,3,4 RW with Downie and a cheaper FA (Brunner, Fehr? or resign PJ) or Draft choice would not upset me.

How about something like this...

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Stalberg* - Stastny - Horton*

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie

McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew (Keep Kobasew because hes actually a fairly good role player, and can chip in offensively if we need someone to move up at RW in case of injuries. Mitchell would be the one to move up on the LW side.)

You could swap McGinn & Stalberg out as well if need be, because he and Duchene have had chemistry overseas.

Trade Jones at the deadline or along with our 1st this year for Yandle. Jones, Sgarbossa, 1st 2013 (As long as it's not top 5) for Yandle.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Landy -ROR

untitle.JPG

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
How about something like this...

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Stalberg* - Stastny - Horton*

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie

McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew (Keep Kobasew because hes actually a fairly good role player, and can chip in offensively if we need someone to move up at RW in case of injuries. Mitchell would be the one to move up on the LW side.)

You could swap McGinn & Stalberg out as well if need be, because he and Duchene have had chemistry overseas.

Trade Jones at the deadline or along with our 1st this year for Yandle. Jones, Sgarbossa, 1st 2013 (As long as it's not top 5) for Yandle.

Not Horton, but do like adding Stalberg who I think plays either wing. I'd keep PJ for less $ than Kobasew (good TDL depth rental trade). Ideally PJ could learn to do some PK too.

nothin fancy

Oct 14, 2011
Newfoundland
While I agree on putting those two back together 'eventually', there are two things keeping me from wanting it actually done.

For one... If they are going to trade Stastny, then he needs the best line-mates to bolster his value. (I personally want to keep all three if we can get Stastny's contract down a little (5.5M AAV), and O'Reilly to agree to a long term 5M AAV contract.)

Second, O'Reilly plays a better bottom six game, and is just more versitile in who he can be effective with.

We as fans are going to have to be a little understanding with O'Reilly and his paycheck. I think most of us can see that he is worth his contract. I mean look how well hes played after being out so long...

But.. until he gets the ice time and line-mates needed to produce offensively at a top 6 level. We are going to have to be objective & patient, and hope that management can do the same.

One thing that is comforting to know is that 'if' one of our centers gets injured, we still have two top 6 centers. So you pay a little more to O'Reilly with the understanding that hes more valuable than a third line center, but as long as their contracts collectively are reasonable. It can be managed...

It sounds a lot better to say we're paying 16-17M for 3 top 6 centers, than to just say we are paying 5M AAV for a third line center.

I agree with you 100%.
Pitt had the right idea. Crosby, Malkin, Stall are better centers, costing 21-22M, but they didnt have the depth on wing. We have some solid wingers to make 3 lines and it would be hard for other teams to contain them.
The biggest problem/ concern would be how the minutes be shared up between the 3.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not Horton, but do like adding Stalberg who I think plays either wing. I'd keep PJ for less $ than Kobasew (good TDL depth rental trade). Ideally PJ could learn to do some PK too.

I wonder what Stalberg would cost as a free-agent, just guessing but probably the same contract Jones & PAP got. PAP is a steal at that, Jones is a disapointment, but I think Stalberg would be worth that contract.

I personally like Kobasew's physicality and board play better than PJs but we'll see as the season goes along.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Stalberg isn't worth beyond 2.75-3mil.

This FA class is shaping up to be abysmal overall and a lot of overpaid underperforming guys will come out of it.

Don't forget we will have Downie again next season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stalberg isn't worth beyond 2.75-3mil.

This FA class is shaping up to be abysmal overall and a lot of overpaid underperforming guys will come out of it.

Don't forget we will have Downie again next season.

Stålberg is like bizarro David Jones.

If you combine them and only took the best parts, you'd get a pretty good hockey player. If you only took the worst parts, you have a guy that would struggle in AHL.

But yeah, he's probably going to get paid and be as well liked as David Jones is now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with you 100%.
Pitt had the right idea. Crosby, Malkin, Stall are better centers, costing 21-22M, but they didnt have the depth on wing. We have some solid wingers to make 3 lines and it would be hard for other teams to contain them.
The biggest problem/ concern would be how the minutes be shared up between the 3.

I think it wouldn't be so much the 'lines' when it comes to ice time, Duchene @ 21:00, Stastny @ 20:00, O'Reilly @ 19:00...

You basically run three centers, sometimes Stastny or O'Reilly might be put out with the fourth line wingers in certain situations. Mitchell could be used at center or LW, depending on the situation.

Besides last game (O'Reilly @ 16:28) O'Reilly has played 17,18,19, and 18 minutes. Duchene & Stastny are both still getting 19-21 minutes a game, so they are all already being given plenty of ice time.

Landeskog gets about 19 a game right now as well, the rest of the wingers are mostly situational. So the three centers and the top 9 are already being managed effectively.

Stålberg is like bizarro David Jones.

If you combine them and only took the best parts, you'd get a pretty good hockey player. If you only took the worst parts, you have a guy that would struggle in AHL.

But yeah, he's probably going to get paid and be as well liked as David Jones is now.

From what I have seen Stalberg's effort level is far and away better than Jone's on a consistent basis. The show up one day, and disappear for three, is what really drives me crazy about Jones.

Last edited:

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Frolik/Stalberg-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Stastny-Hejduk
Landeskog-ROR-Pajamas
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

nothin fancy

Oct 14, 2011
Newfoundland
Valtteri Filppula can play wing or center. Good speed, defense, and can produce points. Last contract 15M for 5yrs. I say he will resign with the wings but he's a good FA to look at.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Valtteri Filppula can play wing or center. Good speed, defense, and can produce points. Last contract 15M for 5yrs. I say he will resign with the wings but he's a good FA to look at.

If he hits free-agency absolutely, but the Deadthings would be stupid to let him walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad