Speculation: Return in Stone trade

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Nor does you belief that he will go to UFA.

Nope, you're right. But if we play the odds and look at what's happened in the past, it's safer to assume that the longer a player goes unsigned in their pre-UFA year, the greater the chance they hit the market, because as the season goes on, the risk of playing poorly and injury go down (and those are the main reasons that players sign a year before their deal is up - for security against those risks). If those are no longer big risks, why not just wait the month and a half and see all offers, including Ottawa's?

Reactions: Sensung and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If it’s Nashville, I’d want Fabbro.

Holy hell he better not be the bottom line player for Stone...
I keep wondering if he somehow ends up in TBay.
Might need to get a 3rd team involved since I don't see Callahan waiving to go to Ottawa and they almost have to move him out to fit Stone in.
But I think he'd be a great fit there.

Not sure what would be coming back though.

He's an amazing fit anywhere he goes, Tampa clearly wont trade the assets to aquire him.

I have said it before and ill say it again I am 100 percent out as a sens fan if they dont extend him. There is no point in following this organization if you cant lock up your best player and home grown talent at 26 years old that should be the captain, but at this point isnt because the organization has screwed up so badly. If anyone thinks there is any point in even following this organization if they cant sign a player like this I really truly feel bad for you.

Knowing the TB fans it would be Killorn, a Koekkoek and a 2nd rounder.

And we will be happy about it!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Back to the question at hand... the return for Stone doesn't matter. We won't get close to the right value, all it'll be is the final signal that this team has no interest of competing in the short or long term.

Reactions: bert

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tarasenko would be an A+ return because he'd be under contract for four more years and we wouldn't have to honor his NTC.

We also probably get a better return in terms of futures for Tarasenko than we would for a trade of Stone with an extension worked in because Tarasenko would have no say over where he'd go, where as Stone could block a trade or depress the market by limiting the number of teams he'd sign with.

That will never happen though. I think Stone is way too close to UFA status to do a trade with an extension baked in. Expect basically the Brassard or Nash return from last year's trade deadline with maybe a few extra pieces.

From a team like VAN, maybe something like Virtanen, a 1st, a 3rd, a B prospect and then a conditional 2nd/1st based on similar conditions to the Karlsson deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We'll get far less than we deserve, especially because there won't be much salary coming back.

After the Karlsson debacle my expectations are staggeringly low.

This is pretty much the case with all rentals. People should consider mentally preparing themselves for the scenario where Pierre Dorion comes out in February and tells us how important it was to make sure we got back a veteran like Patrik Berglund to help lead the youth, and how we should get a really great player with a late 1st in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad