Waived: Reto Berra on waivers

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They could have sent down Martinsen in a snap w/o waiver if they need to clear a roster spot for a trade so the argument of flexibility is bogus.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So you give up a 2nd round pick for a goalie then waive him. Smart management there. I mean waiving Berra at this point is the right move, but giving up a 2nd to get him is...how do I put this....stupid?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
So, Sakic waived Guenin almost 40 days in advance of a trade?

This is the most proactive GM in NHL history! I've never heard something like that before.

Comedy!!!

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The reason Guenin was waived was for flexibility. If they were working on a trade like the one for Matthias, then they would have needed to send someone down to make room on the roster. And they likely would rather not wait the 24 hours for someone to clear, as that allows time to for some other team to poach that trade (cannot be finalized until there is roster space, and until finalized, it can be outbid). Waiving Guenin the first time gave them a month of flexibility for making an AHL player for NHL Player trade.

We do not know if they were hoping someone would claim him. We know that it wold have been a bonus for us the fans. But would managemnt see it the same way? Maybe, maybe not.

If it were purely for the sake of freeing up a contract slot, they wold have waived one of the guys they picked up...both of whom were quoted as being wanted back by their former GMs. Or even Redmond, who would be tons more likely to be picked up. But while the best choice to lose to waivers is obviously the worst D...it also is the least likely to open up that contract slot.

Once they decided they really did need to open up that contract spot, they waived Wagner and he got reclaimed by Anaheim. So now they have a free contract slot, and a free roster slot.

This post is gold!!!!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You guys are right, clearly they figured Guenin was their best shot at dumping a contract as they waived only him and nobody else. Then after a month of him not playing a single game they figured his value surely must have gone up and gave it a try again.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I'm sure management has literally no idea what they are doing. No plan whatsoever. Make moves so it looks like they are doing something. Haha, Comedy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
So you give up a 2nd round pick for a goalie then waive him. Smart management there. I mean waiving Berra at this point is the right move, but giving up a 2nd to get him is...how do I put this....stupid?

Well, sure, but that has been mentioned hundreds of times since the trade sooo...good post?

It was a risky gamble that didn't pay off. Hopefully they are at least learning from their mistakes

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
You guys are right, clearly they figured Guenin was their best shot at dumping a contract as they waived only him and nobody else. Then after a month of him not playing a single game they figured his value surely must have gone up and gave it a try again.

Short memory, they waived Gormley before Guenin.

And yes Guenin sucks, so does Bodnarchuk and yet someone claimed him.

Edit: The funny thing is that you guys didn't need to have all this trouble, since this is a simple situation to understand.

They claimed a guy they thought was an upgrade over what they had, reached the 50 contract limit and waived Gormley after in hopes of someone claiming him, waived Guenin after that with the same purpose.

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I don't know. That's part of what I was asking Nzap.

I meant released after this season.
Roy has said he wants a veteran goalie in the AHL.
Berra fits that mold better than Will, and is a better call-up as well.
Martin could be his back-up in the AHL.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The reason Guenin was waived was for flexibility. If they were working on a trade like the one for Matthias, then they would have needed to send someone down to make room on the roster. And they likely would rather not wait the 24 hours for someone to clear, as that allows time to for some other team to poach that trade (cannot be finalized until there is roster space, and until finalized, it can be outbid). Waiving Guenin the first time gave them a month of flexibility for making an AHL player for NHL Player trade.

We do not know if they were hoping someone would claim him. We know that it wold have been a bonus for us the fans. But would managemnt see it the same way? Maybe, maybe not.

If it were purely for the sake of freeing up a contract slot, they wold have waived one of the guys they picked up...both of whom were quoted as being wanted back by their former GMs. Or even Redmond, who would be tons more likely to be picked up. But while the best choice to lose to waivers is obviously the worst D...it also is the least likely to open up that contract slot.

Once they decided they really did need to open up that contract spot, they waived Wagner and he got reclaimed by Anaheim. So now they have a free contract slot, and a free roster slot.

Not true. Look at the link from the CBA I posted.

A team can immediately designate a player on the current roster as a non-roster player after activating a player from IR, or acquiring another player from waivers or a trade. The newly appointed non-roster player will immediately be put on wavier and must be loaned to minor league club if he clears waivers.

For example. Say the Avs are at 23 man active roster. Avs can trade for Matthias then designate Guenin as a non-roster player. Guenin would immediately be placed on waivers and would be immediately loaned to San Antonio if he cleared waivers the next day. This would be completely legal, so therefor you would not need to have Guenin clear prior to the trade.

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

First time he was waived was likely due to the Avs wanting someone to take him.

The second time was likely due to the rule I posted. Berra activated from IR. Guenin designated non-roster replacement and sent to the AHL.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You guys are still *****ing about Guenin? Seriously, this has got to be the most ridiculous argument in the history of the internet. Anything to prove your point, huh? And I thought I was stubborn.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
With Stalock and Berra clearing I guess there isn't much of a backup market.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Reimer and Nilsson got traded, so I guess it made it safer to waive Berra.

I still expect Avs to try to move him in the summer.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Stalock isn't good.

And even if someone considers Berra to be a better back up than what they have, the guy still has term. Nobody wants that right now.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Guys,

Chambers was REALLY on top of this Berra clearing waivers stuff, he tweeted confirmation a full 18 minutes AFTER McKenzie already confirmed it!

:sarcasm:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
And you're still *****ing about them *****ing about Guenin.
Some things never change. :)

So because I point out the worlds most ridiculously stubborn argument I'm *****ing?????

What? :shakehead

Im not *****ing. I could care less what these guys think. I just think it's an extremely stupid argument. These guys are clinging to any ridiculous thing they possibly can to back up their opinion that's Roy/Sakic should be fired. I'm more shocked that this argument is even taking place than anything.

But think whatever you want there, bubba.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Back on topic, Berra's been reassigned per Avs twitter.

After sleeping on it, the move does make a bit more sense to me than it did yesterday. Still think it's a waste of an asset because it lowers his value even further, but it was smart of them to waive him at the deadline when nobody would think of picking him up instead of earlier when there was a greater chance to lose him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad