Waived: Reto Berra on waivers

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The only thing 50 contracts did was force us to send a contract back in case of any trade, that's all. A slightly awkward position at worst.

It prevents another waiver claim. Also another team might not be interested in talking back another contract so it would prevent a player for pick type of trade.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Sakic and Roy have made mistakes, but they've also done enough that they more than deserve a chance to learn from their mistakes and grow into their roles. Things are better now than they were during the post-lockout Giguere/Lacroix/Sherman/Granato/Sacco era. It's still possible that this season can end in a playoff appearance which will be two out of three years during their era of running the team. Even if they miss the playoffs there's zero chance they will be gone anytime in the near future so we might as well hope they will grow and learn from some of their early missteps. One thing I don't have any doubt about is their passion and desire to win. Not that it's enough, but I do think they are more than open to learning because of it. The last thing the team needs are people who are dogmatically set in their ways ala Lacroix. What he did worked great for a while but he could never adapt.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Don't be like that TV, you know he was send down more than a month later.

Like what, using logic? I can't believe this is a debate. They waived Guenin so they could send him down when they needed the roster spot, an evidenced by....sending him down when they needed a roster spot. Yes it was a month later, that's why they waived him twice. So the logic of doing it just to get rid of a contract means they chose their worst player on a one way contract but didn't touch the guys who they had claimed or who would have a better chance of getting picked up. Shocking that once they decided to waive Wagner the 50th contract magically disappeared.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Guenin was waived so that he could immiedietely be moved down when a roster spot was needed. 30 days passed so he would have to clear waivers again so they waived him again for the same flexibility. If they were waiving someone in the hope of opening a contract spot they would have waived Wagner, Bodnarchuk or Redmond.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Like what, using logic? I can't believe this is a debate. They waived Guenin so they could send him down when they needed the roster spot, an evidenced by....sending him down when they needed a roster spot. Yes it was a month later, that's why they waived him twice. So the logic of doing it just to get rid of a contract means they chose their worst player on a one way contract but didn't touch the guys who they had claimed or who would have a better chance of getting picked up. Shocking that once they decided to waive Wagner the 50th contract magically disappeared.

Why waive him twice if the sole purpose was to send him to the AHL?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why waive him twice if the sole purpose was to send him to the AHL?

The purpose was to send him down when a roster spot was needed which is exactly what they did when Berra was activated.

This isn't a difficult concept.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Guenin was waived so that he could immiedietely be moved down when a roster spot was needed. 30 days passed so he would have to clear waivers again so they waived him again for the same flexibility. If they were waiving someone in the hope of opening a contract spot they would have waived Wagner, Bodnarchuk or Redmond.

In what situation would they need immediate roster spot? If someone came off IR would the Avs need the spot immediately? Could they not just wait the 24 hours for Guenin to clear. And if someone came off IR couldn't they just be assigned to AHL for conditioning without taking a roster spot?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In what situation would they need immediate roster spot? If someone came off IR would the Avs need the spot immediately? Could they not just wait the 24 hours for Guenin to clear. And if someone came off IR couldn't they just be assigned to AHL for conditioning without taking a roster spot?

No they couldn't. Which is exactly why it was done the way it was lol.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

No one waives a player if they are not planning on sending him down, unless they are hoping someone will claim that player.

They did send him down, but just after waiving him a second time.

I can't believe it is a debate!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Assuming he clears, would we still owe him money and would he count against the cap if we mutually agreed to let him go back to Europe?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The purpose was to send him down when a roster spot was needed which is exactly what they did when Berra was activated.

This isn't a difficult concept.

It may explain the second waiver, not the first one.

This is ridiculous.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
They waived him the first time because they thought they might need the roster spot and wanted to be ready. They were being Pro-Active, if Guenin was picked up then that's just an added bonus.

LOL... They thought they might need? Just an added bonus? LOL

How about Gormley? Put on waivers before Guenin, was only assigned to SA a week later. Just being proactive, right?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
There's no way in knowing if a player would be claimed. Look at how many players the Avs put on waivers.

In hindsight it doesn't look like it hurt us but there would have been no way to know that a month ago when they did it.

I would understand if the Avs wentl to 50 for a good reason but I don't understand doing it over Bodnarchuk. So do you think he's a sizeable upgrade over Gormley, Zadorov, Guenin, Siemens, and Noreau?

You seriously don't think these guys talk about stuff like this? CBJ publicly stated they would claim Bodnarchuk right back.

Bodnarchuk has definitely been better than Gormley and Guenin. Zadorov isn't a good fit with anyone but Beauch, and it doesn't seem they want to break up the top pair. I have not seen much of Siemens but it sounds like he has some weaknesses to work on still. I'm not sure why Noreau wouldn't get a chance, but I'm guessing he just isn't tough enough for this level.

We found a guy who has jumped Gormley, Guenin, and now appears to be ahead of Redmond as well. But yeah, let's not try to improve the team unless it's a massive improvement:sarcasm:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Also if they were working on the Matthias or similar trade well before it was completed, they would have needed Guenin's spot if they could get a deal finalized.

I also do not believe they had a firm time table on Berra's return.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Assuming he clears, would we still owe him money and would he count against the cap if we mutually agreed to let him go back to Europe?

Yes. But I think what he's being paid by the European team would be subtracted from what Avs owe him, so Avs would save some money. They'd still have a cap hit, I would imagine.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Yes. But I think what he's being paid by the European team would be subtracted from what Avs owe him, so Avs would save some money. They'd still have a cap hit, I would imagine.

I think so too. I think the Avs and Euro team would have to agree on what portion of the salary each one is responsible for. If the Avs luck out they will take the whole thing.

edit: I looked up Semin as an example and see the Habs and Semin mutually terminated the contract. As far as I can tell there is no cap repercussions for Montreal in the case. So maybe there is hope the Avs could get rid of his cap hit but I don't see Berra walking away from ~$1.5m

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
This has been stated numerous times by myself. If the club and Berra agree to terminate his contact, and he goes to Europe, then there is nothing owed to him. They go on waivers for the purpose of terminating the contract. Once he clears, that is the end of it.

When this came up last time, everyone said "why would he leave money on the table?" Which is true, unless he would rather go to Europe than the AHL. Some guys want different things than a little more money.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The reason Guenin was waived was for flexibility. If they were working on a trade like the one for Matthias, then they would have needed to send someone down to make room on the roster. And they likely would rather not wait the 24 hours for someone to clear, as that allows time to for some other team to poach that trade (cannot be finalized until there is roster space, and until finalized, it can be outbid). Waiving Guenin the first time gave them a month of flexibility for making an AHL player for NHL Player trade.

We do not know if they were hoping someone would claim him. We know that it wold have been a bonus for us the fans. But would managemnt see it the same way? Maybe, maybe not.

If it were purely for the sake of freeing up a contract slot, they wold have waived one of the guys they picked up...both of whom were quoted as being wanted back by their former GMs. Or even Redmond, who would be tons more likely to be picked up. But while the best choice to lose to waivers is obviously the worst D...it also is the least likely to open up that contract slot.

Once they decided they really did need to open up that contract spot, they waived Wagner and he got reclaimed by Anaheim. So now they have a free contract slot, and a free roster slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad