Post-Game Talk: Resilience!

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
That punch was clearly a joke. You can see he eases up a fraction before hitting him. This story is a joke.

Reactions: nally

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It really seems to me like a minor dust up that they got over.

So the fact that everyone is doing the whole "nothing to see here, please disperse" routine is odd to me.

Yeah, based on their social media posts afterwards I think they got over it pretty quick. But there was clearly (IMO) something there in that moment.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That punch was clearly a joke. You can see he eases up a fraction before hitting him. This story is a joke.

Nah, it's more than that. Gagner stares down Sheahan after the bump, Archi pulls him back, Gagner only gets momentarily distracted and doesn't even acknowledge Archi before turning his attention back to Sheahan.

Unless everyone hates Archi. ;)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nah, it's more than that. Gagner stares down Sheahan after the bump, Archi pulls him back, Gagner only gets momentarily distracted and doesn't even acknowledge Archi before turning his attention back to Sheahan.

Unless everyone hates Archi. ;)
Archibald didn't even see the punch.

Gagner does stuff like this after wins. He was bumping Prussell after the shootout win in Arizona. Mike Smith gave Gagner a face wash in return.

Has no one here played on a team before, lol?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Gagner does stuff like this after wins. He was bumping Prussell after the shootout win in Arizona. Mike Smith gave Gagner a face wash in return.

I've already addressed the first point. My guess is Archi is responding to something verbal there at that exact moment. If anything it's even more damning that Archi doesn't see the punch and STILL reacts by trying to pull Gagner back. And he is clearly trying to pull Gagner back, no one goes for one hug across the arm, have the other guy ignore you, and go for ANOTHER hug across the chest a second time just for funsies.

I dunno, maybe what Gagner is doing rubbed Sheahan the wrong way. Something verbal was said. It might've even been a joke on Sheahan's part that Gagner misinterpreted.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I'm not sure it's a hug. And that's the kicker: he doesn't see the initial altercation, but he STILL pulls Gagner back. I think he's reacting to either Sheahan's facial expression or something verbal between Gagner/Sheahan.

quick quick , can we go back and look at McDavids face the moment the oilers call his name. maybe slow it down to 1 or 2 fpm. Geez. lets really get in to over analyzing things shall we.

This was zip nada nothing. Gags gives him F yeah and a belt , he doesn't fall, he slides along the bench, swings his legs out at which point gags steps back a foot and he hops on the ice . there is no lunge back or response. and the arm grab, well thats so the hugging can continue on the bench. It's the post game equivalent of a one guy high fives one guy fist bumps thing. Plus Im sure sheahan was just surprised to be the target! and from snowpants no less..

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
In my opinion, Gagner is just making up for not having Kassian in the lineup. He's just doing Kassian celly after the game.

This is getting blown way out of proportion.:laugh:

I think this team is actually really close. It was a big win for them to stay atop of the standings.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
quick quick , can we go back and look at McDavids face the moment the oilers call his name. maybe slow it down to 1 or 2 fpm. Geez. lets really get in to over analyzing things shall we.

This was zip nada nothing. Gags gives him F yeah and a belt , he doesn't fall, he slides along the bench, swings his legs out at which point gags steps back a foot and he hops on the ice . there is no lunge back or response. and the arm grab, well thats so the hugging can continue on the bench. It's the post game equivalent of a one guy high fives one guy fist bumps thing. Plus Im sure sheahan was just surprised to be the target! and from snowpants no less..

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty confident that the Oilers were not #1 on McDavid's list of teams he'd prefer to play for. Was he ecstatic? Probably not. Was he a little shocked? Probably. But he's a consummate professional, so he's not going to pout about it.

And to be fair here, that's definitely not a "let's hug bro!" arm grab. You don't grab the guy's arm and try to turn him 180 degrees around when he's staring at somebody else, and you certainly don't try and grab the guy's chest AGAIN when he basically ignores your first grab and goes back to staring at the other guy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Has no one here played on a team before, lol?

No kidding.
Man...just give this place an inch of rope and it will take a mile. :nod:

Reactions: MikeFLB and TB12

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I've already addressed the first point. My guess is Archi is responding to something verbal there at that exact moment. If anything it's even more damning that Archi doesn't see the punch and STILL reacts by trying to pull Gagner back. And he is clearly trying to pull Gagner back, no one goes for one hug across the arm, have the other guy ignore you, and go for ANOTHER hug across the chest a second time just for funsies.

I dunno, maybe what Gagner is doing rubbed Sheahan the wrong way. Something verbal was said. It might've even been a joke on Sheahan's part that Gagner misinterpreted.
Archibald hugged him with both arms, his right arm is behind Gagner's back.

Gagner bumped another Oiler after the OT win against the Capitals this season as they were skating over to Draisaitl. He does this every win. He bumped every teammate on the ice last night on his way to Koskinen.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Archibald hugged him with both arms, his right arm is behind Gagner's back.

Gagner bumped another Oiler after the OT win against the Capitals this season as they were skating over to Draisaitl. He does this every win.

I'm still gonna have to disagree with the first point. Archi tries to pull Gagner back by the arm, Gagner momentarily looks away from Sheahan, basically ignores Archi's presence, and goes right back to staring at Sheahan. If he was celebrating, he would have acknowledged Archi the first time.

My guess is it was just a minor miscommunication between the two of them, possibly even related to Gagner's post-win behaviour.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Well, to be fair, I'm pretty confident that the Oilers were not #1 on McDavid's list of teams he'd prefer to play for. Was he ecstatic? Probably not. Was he a little shocked? Probably. But he's a consummate professional, so he's not going to pout about it.

And to be fair here, that's definitely not a "let's hug bro!" arm grab. You don't grab the guy's arm and try to turn him 180 degrees around when he's staring at somebody else, and you certainly don't try and grab the guy's chest AGAIN when he basically ignores your first grab and goes back to staring at the other guy.
this is the definition of trying to hard. In a moment of victory your looking for malice. Sam is just staying clear of his skates. You'd think snowpants slammed him against the glass n throat punched him. HK's way off base on this too.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
this is the definition of trying to hard. In a moment of victory your looking for malice. Sam is just staying clear of his skates. You'd think snowpants slammed him against the glass n throat punched him. HK's way off base on this too.

I'm not looking for malice. If I didn't see something unusual I wouldn't be arguing something unusual.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
ftr I have no issues with my debate with @Soundwave on this topic. It is possible to debate and be cordial while doing it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So Sam Gagner who is in and out of the lineup and probably out again just because RNH is coming back in decides to get in a dust up directly in front of the head coach? Knowing TV cameras are on him?

Then 20 seconds later decides to go elbow Patrick Russell too?

Then 45 minutes later is all smiles with Sheahan in a photo?

You guys are gonna look real stupid when Gagner does this again. Football players do it all the time (shove each other and stare one another down), jeez.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So Sam Gagner who is in and out of the lineup and probably out again just because RNH is coming back in decides to get in a dust up directly in front of the head coach? Knowing TV cameras are on him?

You guys are gonna look real stupid when Gagner does this again. Football players do it all the time (shove each other and stare one another down), jeez.

To be fair though, Sam Gagner is not a football player. ;)

But in all seriousness, it's just the interplay of Gagner's stare down and Archibald's double grab (along with Gagner's refusal to even acknowledge Archi's presence) that gets me.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Him doing it again might not prove anything. Vids of him doing the exact same thing BEFORE will likely prove something. and come on now. let's keep it cordial. i apologize for the outburst but you have to stop calling people stupid for having a take on things. it's discussion on a nothing incident either way.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Just got back from reading the Devils GDT tonight.

Can we have a Thomas the Tank Engine/Thomas and Friends themed GDT?

Asking for a friend.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Maybe a year ago.

must’ve missed it with all the misery there was last year.

52EF9897-7EB6-4D9D-917E-28581C055EBE.jpeg

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol I can't believe Gags/Shae's post-game celly is under the microscope. It's the norm when a few bros get together, pound back a couple, play NHL 19 online, score in OT and to start a little rough-housing. It's the primitive male instinct, in such an intense close battle, to get overly excited and have a burst of testosterone in the jaws of victory.
Imagine being on the bench, in an NHL game, against a rival, and winning by 1 goal.
Just watch the NFL. This was a pillow fight compared to American football's playoff celebrations.

Riley had a huge smile on his face, and Archi didn't even see the love tap, before rough-housing gags a little bit too. I love it. Numerous coaches have said that locker room is quiet, and to see them treat each other like brothers, is awesome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad