Resident Evil - Village

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I hated RE4 and never finished it. This game definitely takes a ton of elements from that one, but it does it better. I'm still not a fan of no storage boxes and having the merchant though. Inventory space has rarely become an issue for me and has always been easily rectified in the game. It's definitely not nearly as scary as RE2 or Re7, and I hope they get away from the action trend because that's what doomed them last time with RE5 and RE6. Stick to staying creepy as best as possible.
I can understand that. RE4 drags on quite a bit towards the end, but it's so goofy and the Dr. Salvador enemies still scare the crap out of me to this day. I'm really looking forward to the remake because I'm hoping they'll fix the issues with the controls and make Ashley less annoying to be around.

I also never ran out of inventory space in RE Village, but I didn't mind it. What I did have an issue with was the re-use of enemy types - I was hoping each lord would have their own legions of enemies in their areas, but only two of the four did. A bit of a missed opportunity there to make the game more thematically engaging, in my opinion. Like you, I would've liked to have more scares. I have a newborn at home and I'm fairly certain that's the only reason I felt any type of way in the Beneviento basement :laugh:

unfortunately we have our fellow players to blame for that. There was not one scary moment for me in RE8 for me. I basically just went through areas easily that I suspect they tried to make scary. Also no VR option was also a negative for me.

“Speaking to Axios, producer Tsuyoshi Kanda said Capcom received Resident Evil 7 feedback and some players felt it was actually too scary. ... That constant fear was especially noticeable during the early portions of Resident Evil 7, which often found Ethan Winters chased through a large house by terrifying family members.”
I didn't know this was the case, but this is very annoying. RE7 was the perfect amount of scary, I thought. Too often in Village was I able to mow my way through any enemies that showed up; in 7, I remember having to run away from some of the mold monsters due to a lack of ammo, and that was made all the more intense due to the narrow hallways they showed up in.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The monster reminded me an angry vagina.

Spot on.

I can understand that. RE4 drags on quite a bit towards the end, but it's so goofy and the Dr. Salvador enemies still scare the crap out of me to this day. I'm really looking forward to the remake because I'm hoping they'll fix the issues with the controls and make Ashley less annoying to be around.

I also never ran out of inventory space in RE Village, but I didn't mind it. What I did have an issue with was the re-use of enemy types - I was hoping each lord would have their own legions of enemies in their areas, but only two of the four did. A bit of a missed opportunity there to make the game more thematically engaging, in my opinion. Like you, I would've liked to have more scares. I have a newborn at home and I'm fairly certain that's the only reason I felt any type of way in the Beneviento basement :laugh:

I think the lack of diversity among enemies has always been a "problem" in the RE games. The biggest thing for me is that once you figure out what the best way to engage an enemy is, it all becomes far too easy and they usually keep all the enemies the same in each area. For example, I don't recall encountering anything that flies while fighting something that doesn't.

I didn't know this was the case, but this is very annoying. RE7 was the perfect amount of scary, I thought. Too often in Village was I able to mow my way through any enemies that showed up; in 7, I remember having to run away from some of the mold monsters due to a lack of ammo, and that was made all the more intense due to the narrow hallways they showed up in.

The mold monsters were the best part to me, with Jack running around like a lunatic. It made the upstairs and downstairs feel unsafe. I enjoyed the fact that I didn't know where or when the molded would show up and there weren't decoys or sleeping molded hanging around much. In most RE games you can bet your bottom dollar that there's a line of enemies or one enemy that's there from the beginning that will be awakened at some point to scare you. :laugh:

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think the lack of diversity among enemies has always been a "problem" in the RE games. The biggest thing for me is that once you figure out what the best way to engage an enemy is, it all becomes far too easy and they usually keep all the enemies the same in each area. For example, I don't recall encountering anything that flies while fighting something that doesn't.

The mold monsters were the best part to me, with Jack running around like a lunatic. It made the upstairs and downstairs feel unsafe. I enjoyed the fact that I didn't know where or when the molded would show up and there weren't decoys or sleeping molded hanging around much. In most RE games you can bet your bottom dollar that there's a line of enemies or one enemy that's there from the beginning that will be awakened at some point to scare you. :laugh:
Yeah, that's fair. I think they had a good opportunity to introduce a whole host of new enemy types in Village (which, granted, they did, but I was hoping for more). Like you said, it was very easy to fight all of them, though. Even the giants had a pattern by the end of the game. The only instance of fighting flying enemies while also fighting grounded enemies that I can think of is
Otto's Mill
Everywhere else was either the Dimitrescu enemies, the Lycan, or
Heisenberg's robot army

Agreed on the mold monsters - those guys were nasty and showed up at the worst possible times. They increased my desperation as a player by merely existing, and that made the game all the more intense. As for the bolded, that did happen in Village, but it was pretty lame, in my opinion. That happened with
one of Heisenberg's soldats in his factory
but those things were so not scary that I didn't even care when it woke up. I'd argue they were the least scary enemies in the entire game and played on fears that I don't think anyone I know has.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's so annoying. I don't think I've been scared yet, I've jumped once or twice, but I definitely felt on edge in RE7 at the beginning of the game. If you're not into being scared, why are you playing an RE game?
Honestly I can take it or leave it with the scary stuff. I play RE because they are well designed games (or at least the good ones).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, that's fair. I think they had a good opportunity to introduce a whole host of new enemy types in Village (which, granted, they did, but I was hoping for more). Like you said, it was very easy to fight all of them, though. Even the giants had a pattern by the end of the game. The only instance of fighting flying enemies while also fighting grounded enemies that I can think of is
Otto's Mill
Everywhere else was either the Dimitrescu enemies, the Lycan, or
Heisenberg's robot army

Yep, that's the only place I encountered it as well and it was quite easy to deal with. I'm thinking about in RE2 remake there were some different enemy types in the same locations, so if you ran from one you might right into something else that can complicate your situation. Not a whole lot of that in this one.

Agreed on the mold monsters - those guys were nasty and showed up at the worst possible times. They increased my desperation as a player by merely existing, and that made the game all the more intense. As for the bolded, that did happen in Village, but it was pretty lame, in my opinion. That happened with
one of Heisenberg's soldats in his factory
but those things were so not scary that I didn't even care when it woke up. I'd argue they were the least scary enemies in the entire game and played on fears that I don't think anyone I know has.

Once I saw it I knew that's what was going to happen, so every time I passed by I just paid attention to make sure I didn't lose a chunk of health for no reason. Otherwise, not a problem. That's what was cool about the molded, they just appeared a lot of times so you were always uneasy when backtracking.

I didn't find them scary, but they could've posed a larger problem had the maps been laid out differently. I was able to
just run around the tables in a circle over and over again while reloading and bait out the attack that exposed their chest.

Honestly I can take it or leave it with the scary stuff. I play RE because they are well designed games (or at least the good ones).

I fell in love with the first game, which was built around suspense and fear, so whenever they depart from that formula I'm a little annoyed. The fact that it was done because the fans said RE7 was too scary is just absurd, don't play the game if you can't handle it. :laugh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I finally just finished the game. Thought I was close to the end for about 2 hours of play, what a ridiculously drawn out ending to the game. The plot isn't even worth following at this point. :laugh:

It was fun, but I still don't think it's as good as RE2, RE3, or RE7. Really hope they'll remake Code Veronica soon or even remake the first game in the RE2 style or RE7 first person style.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yep, that's the only place I encountered it as well and it was quite easy to deal with. I'm thinking about in RE2 remake there were some different enemy types in the same locations, so if you ran from one you might right into something else that can complicate your situation. Not a whole lot of that in this one.

Once I saw it I knew that's what was going to happen, so every time I passed by I just paid attention to make sure I didn't lose a chunk of health for no reason. Otherwise, not a problem. That's what was cool about the molded, they just appeared a lot of times so you were always uneasy when backtracking.

I didn't find them scary, but they could've posed a larger problem had the maps been laid out differently. I was able to
just run around the tables in a circle over and over again while reloading and bait out the attack that exposed their chest.
I've been thinking about it a bit, and I think I dislike the more open nature of Village. 7 was scary because the Baker house was smaller and it felt like one of the family members was going to show up any second to attack Ethan. Where 7 lost a lot of momentum, in my opinion, was on the ship. That entire sequence was kind of bland. It still had thin corridors and plenty of molded, but it wasn't as eerie.

If Capcom could ever come up with a way to combine the scares and feeling of captivity of 7 with the fantastical characters of Village, that might become my favorite RE game ever. It's challenging and likely impossible, but I ended up liking the enemies in Village a lot more than the enemies in 7. The molded were basically all the same and the Bakers, while unique in their powers, felt kind of similar in their execution. I really liked the diverse nature of the four lords in Village and want to see multiple antagonists that all have their own personalities and types of powers.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've been thinking about it a bit, and I think I dislike the more open nature of Village. 7 was scary because the Baker house was smaller and it felt like one of the family members was going to show up any second to attack Ethan. Where 7 lost a lot of momentum, in my opinion, was on the ship. That entire sequence was kind of bland. It still had thin corridors and plenty of molded, but it wasn't as eerie.

If Capcom could ever come up with a way to combine the scares and feeling of captivity of 7 with the fantastical characters of Village, that might become my favorite RE game ever. It's challenging and likely impossible, but I ended up liking the enemies in Village a lot more than the enemies in 7. The molded were basically all the same and the Bakers, while unique in their powers, felt kind of similar in their execution. I really liked the diverse nature of the four lords in Village and want to see multiple antagonists that all have their own personalities and types of powers.

I think that's a fair criticism of Village and you're spot on with the ship in 7. The game got easier as you progressed in 7 because the fear and unexpected events were less and less, but it was still quite good. The family members, especially the old lady in the wheelchair just hanging out everywhere, definitely added something because you weren't sure when/where they could pop up for a bit. Village felt more separated because you knew you'd only encounter [y] after you completed [x]. Maybe the castle had the most Baker Estate vibe because there were four sisters but it still felt like I had plenty of places to run.

If you remember how the original game was or even RE2, there are definitely moments where you're facing bosses, but it's not as set up I don't think. You're just exploring more and more and then you run into a giant snake. Sometimes you face the same boss multiple times or it mutates, and I'm perfectly okay with that too. Things are less separated from a level design perspective. You had to run back through the same mansion or police station and new things would be there. It took some time for certain areas to be completely closed off where you'd be done with a section. I liked the molded, they just could've done more with it to make it different as the game went along.

I'm looking forward to the next game but I hope they go back to the original item box format with no merchant. I didn't buy a single thing until the last fight, which is kind of crazy to have an entire mechanic there that isn't even needed.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think that's a fair criticism of Village and you're spot on with the ship in 7. The game got easier as you progressed in 7 because the fear and unexpected events were less and less, but it was still quite good. The family members, especially the old lady in the wheelchair just hanging out everywhere, definitely added something because you weren't sure when/where they could pop up for a bit. Village felt more separated because you knew you'd only encounter [y] after you completed [x]. Maybe the castle had the most Baker Estate vibe because there were four sisters but it still felt like I had plenty of places to run.

If you remember how the original game was or even RE2, there are definitely moments where you're facing bosses, but it's not as set up I don't think. You're just exploring more and more and then you run into a giant snake. Sometimes you face the same boss multiple times or it mutates, and I'm perfectly okay with that too. Things are less separated from a level design perspective. You had to run back through the same mansion or police station and new things would be there. It took some time for certain areas to be completely closed off where you'd be done with a section. I liked the molded, they just could've done more with it to make it different as the game went along.

I'm looking forward to the next game but I hope they go back to the original item box format with no merchant. I didn't buy a single thing until the last fight, which is kind of crazy to have an entire mechanic there that isn't even needed.
That's true. The wheelchair woman appearing in new locations without any preamble was a huge part of the creepy factor in that game. I almost wish they didn't reveal who she really was just to let the mystery of her character live on. I also agree on the linearity of Village - if they allowed the player to tackle any lord in any order, or at least the latter three, I think I would've enjoyed that more. The "open world" elements in Village only made the constricting elements of the map stand out more, in my opinion.

I've actually never played the original RE or RE2. The only exposure I have to RE2 came from the remake. I know the original was remade for the GameCube quite a while ago, but I never got around to playing it because I was too young to buy things for myself :laugh:. I do like the idea of backtracking through eerie environments and experiencing new things as it happens. I wish that happened in Village, but with them cutting off one of the best areas of the game
Dimitrescu Castle
after you finish it, I was a little bummed. I would've liked to have gone back and seen what it felt like wandering around without any enemies to see if it still felt creepy when no one else was around.

I'm not gonna lie - I liked the Duke. I like the merchant from RE4 more, but I enjoy the additional flavor these random shopkeepers add to RE games whenever they pop up. Keeping the carrying cases smaller and restricting the amount of money available would help in making a more tense atmosphere, though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's true. The wheelchair woman appearing in new locations without any preamble was a huge part of the creepy factor in that game. I almost wish they didn't reveal who she really was just to let the mystery of her character live on. I also agree on the linearity of Village - if they allowed the player to tackle any lord in any order, or at least the latter three, I think I would've enjoyed that more. The "open world" elements in Village only made the constricting elements of the map stand out more, in my opinion.

I've actually never played the original RE or RE2. The only exposure I have to RE2 came from the remake. I know the original was remade for the GameCube quite a while ago, but I never got around to playing it because I was too young to buy things for myself :laugh:. I do like the idea of backtracking through eerie environments and experiencing new things as it happens. I wish that happened in Village, but with them cutting off one of the best areas of the game
Dimitrescu Castle
after you finish it, I was a little bummed. I would've liked to have gone back and seen what it felt like wandering around without any enemies to see if it still felt creepy when no one else was around.

The amount of time I spent trying to get back into that location was pretty absurd. After I unlocked different areas or got different keys I'd go back trying to get in to see if there were things I missed. I was pretty surprised something that happened so early in the game was blocked off for the remainder.

The original RE is quite good and I think it still holds up today, it's much slower than the recent RE games though. I'd highly recommend going back and playing it if you have time, it's been remastered a few times and is available on Steam if you have a PC. You end up knowing the entire main location like the back of your hand because of how frequently you need to backtrack.

I think the RE2 remake is a masterpiece, especially for a remake, and hits everything pretty damn well.

I'm not gonna lie - I liked the Duke. I like the merchant from RE4 more, but I enjoy the additional flavor these random shopkeepers add to RE games whenever they pop up. Keeping the carrying cases smaller and restricting the amount of money available would help in making a more tense atmosphere, though.

I know I'm in the minority on the RE4 hate, so I get it. It just really takes away from the atmosphere to me. In other games you feel a sense of being trapped, something about having a character pop in and out of these areas just takes away from that feeling for me.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The amount of time I spent trying to get back into that location was pretty absurd. After I unlocked different areas or got different keys I'd go back trying to get in to see if there were things I missed. I was pretty surprised something that happened so early in the game was blocked off for the remainder.

The original RE is quite good and I think it still holds up today, it's much slower than the recent RE games though. I'd highly recommend going back and playing it if you have time, it's been remastered a few times and is available on Steam if you have a PC. You end up knowing the entire main location like the back of your hand because of how frequently you need to backtrack.

I think the RE2 remake is a masterpiece, especially for a remake, and hits everything pretty damn well.

I know I'm in the minority on the RE4 hate, so I get it. It just really takes away from the atmosphere to me. In other games you feel a sense of being trapped, something about having a character pop in and out of these areas just takes away from that feeling for me.
For real! I hated how you could backtrack to the other areas after you completed them (minus the final one) but couldn't go back to one of the first ones you explore. There were plenty of rooms I hadn't fully explored and wanted to get through by the time I realized I couldn't go back.

As for the remakes - would you recommend the original RE remake? I played the RE2 remake and loved it, but I feel like the remake of the first RE is almost too old to be relevant these days, and despite playing old games pretty often, I just can't do it with the original game. I think my eyes have gotten used to the new visuals and I can't immerse myself as well as I used to be able to.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For real! I hated how you could backtrack to the other areas after you completed them (minus the final one) but couldn't go back to one of the first ones you explore. There were plenty of rooms I hadn't fully explored and wanted to get through by the time I realized I couldn't go back.

As for the remakes - would you recommend the original RE remake? I played the RE2 remake and loved it, but I feel like the remake of the first RE is almost too old to be relevant these days, and despite playing old games pretty often, I just can't do it with the original game. I think my eyes have gotten used to the new visuals and I can't immerse myself as well as I used to be able to.

I still recommend the remake of the first game, I think it holds up really well. It's different than the RE2 and 3 remakes because it still uses the same static camera angles, but I don't find that to be a problem when playing.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The original RE Remake was so good and is considered by many to be the best of the bunch. It pains me that they didn't go with that format for RE2 and RE3.

Who knows what they will do if they ever decided to do a Code Veronica remake (yes please).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The original RE Remake was so good and is considered by many to be the best of the bunch. It pains me that they didn't go with that format for RE2 and RE3.

Who knows what they will do if they ever decided to do a Code Veronica remake (yes please).

I liked RE2 and RE3 remakes so much that I really hope they remake RE1 in the same style, or Code Veronica. I've never beaten Code Veronica and it isn't available on PC which is a god damn travesty. It's the rightful sequel to RE2 and gets dismissed like it's shit.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What was everyone's opinion of the Chris sequence at the end? I personally was not a fan, and felt like the tone of the game took a sharp turn at that point, getting back to the whole "Chris Redfield ACTION HERO" theme that I have never particularly liked in RE games (such as the helicopter section in RE4 or essentially all of RE6).

I am also very sad that
Ethan died in the end. I enjoyed him as a character, and thought he was a great protagonist from pretty much the beginning of RE7. I suppose that at least he had a good arc and a solid ending without his character being saturated too much

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
What was everyone's opinion of the Chris sequence at the end? I personally was not a fan, and felt like the tone of the game took a sharp turn at that point, getting back to the whole "Chris Redfield ACTION HERO" theme that I have never particularly liked in RE games (such as the helicopter section in RE4 or essentially all of RE6).

Yeah the Chris section at the end almost felt like it turned into Gears of War to me, a definite switch in tone, also agree with you on the spoiler section

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

I am also very sad that
Ethan died in the end. I enjoyed him as a character, and thought he was a great protagonist from pretty much the beginning of RE7. I suppose that at least he had a good arc and a solid ending without his character being saturated too much
Chris’s section was such a sharp pivot away from everything else in the game (minus the factory boss fight) and not really necessary. It stripped away any sort of tension built during Ethan’s section, and right before the final boss, too. I understand why it’s there, but I think it would’ve worked better as a DLC, personally.

Agreed on what’s in the spoiler tag, too. Hopefully we see that character again; the post-credits scene make it seem like it could go either way with that character.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I am also very sad that

Agreed. I didn't need that in the game and I never liked the run and gun style for RE games. In RE2 remake they had the other missions that had similar play styles, and that was fun, but not in the middle of the game. I just kind of shrugged and wondered what the point was. Fifteen minutes of filler, Chris just being a bad ass.

Chris’s section was such a sharp pivot away from everything else in the game (minus the factory boss fight) and not really necessary. It stripped away any sort of tension built during Ethan’s section, and right before the final boss, too. I understand why it’s there, but I think it would’ve worked better as a DLC, personally.

Agreed on what’s in the spoiler tag, too. Hopefully we see that character again; the post-credits scene make it seem like it could go either way with that character.

I always took that scene as having that character, we'll see though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad