Resident Evil - Village

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I played both demos and plan on buying the full game soon. From my experience with the demos, it seems to be taking a page out of RE4's book and focusing more on the action than the scares. RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'll likely enjoy it. Not sure if it will appeal to people who want a scary game, though.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's a good game, but I liked RE7 more.

Village is a throwback action RE game, reminiscent of RE4, with an open world component.

RE7 was a more linear, edge-of-your-seat horror game. Village isn't scary at all and the storytelling is kid's stuff. But there's still fun in collecting stuff and killing enemies and it's quite gorgeous throughout. Replayability is high.

I was personally hoping for something comparably scary to RE7.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yeah there's a real lack of survival horror elements. The key items and crafting materials don't even take up inventory space. Still enjoying the game quite a bit though

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yeah there's a real lack of survival horror elements. The key items and crafting materials don't even take up inventory space. Still enjoying the game quite a bit though
I don't even know why I'm buying inventory space considering I haven't even been close to filling it up because of this.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Definitely enjoying it so far.

Though I am a bit disappointed that in the castle:
The sisters and Lady Dimitrescu were offed pretty quickly and without much effort. Like I was able to defeat the third sister within the span of less than a minute. And it wasn't nearly as hard to avoid the Lady throughout the castle, like it was difficult to avoid Mr. X. I think there were just a few too many options to get around her.

Not sure if standard difficulty is easier than previous installments, because I don't think I had it nearly as easy in RE7

Also I feel like the game is on a break-neck pace compared to other installments. Though I love the environments so I am still enjoying this thoroughly.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Definitely enjoying it so far.

Though I am a bit disappointed that in the castle:
The sisters and Lady Dimitrescu were offed pretty quickly and without much effort. Like I was able to defeat the third sister within the span of less than a minute. And it wasn't nearly as hard to avoid the Lady throughout the castle, like it was difficult to avoid Mr. X. I think there were just a few too many options to get around her.

Not sure if standard difficulty is easier than previous installments, because I don't think I had it nearly as easy in RE7

Also I feel like the game is on a break-neck pace compared to other installments. Though I love the environments so I am still enjoying this thoroughly.

In regards to the section you put a spoiler tag on:

Everyone I've talked to, myself included, about Lady Dimitrescu were disappointed she dies so early lol. I completely overthought the first fight with her daughters. I saw that the cold obviously makes her vulnerable but it still looked like my bullets were going through her so I just did the whole fight with a knife. My friend was watching my stream as I was playing it and he was calling me a huge idiot because I couldn't figure out that breaking the glass made her vulnerable but she was saying bullets don't hurt her so I thought it meant you had to knife her to death. At least I saved a ton of ammo!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Slowly making my way through, maybe 4 hours in or so but really taking my time. It's definitely like RE4, a game I didn't like and never finished, but it's more polished. So far it isn't as good as any of the recent installments, (RE2, RE3, or RE7) but it's been enjoyable. There has been one jump scare that has gotten me so far, but the atmospheric sounds are pretty good. I'm playing on casual but the amount of ammunition I have is ridiculously over the top and not making it very challenging. Looking forward to finishing it up.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think my favorite part of this so far is Ethan getting his hand chopped clean off, him taking a second to go "wait a sec..." in his head and then proceeding to somehow glue it back on with first aid juice. :laugh:

Forget Mr. X or Nemesis, this dude is the real bioweapon

Edit: after finishing the game this actually makes way more sense

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In regards to the section you put a spoiler tag on:

Everyone I've talked to, myself included, about Lady Dimitrescu were disappointed she dies so early lol. I completely overthought the first fight with her daughters. I saw that the cold obviously makes her vulnerable but it still looked like my bullets were going through her so I just did the whole fight with a knife. My friend was watching my stream as I was playing it and he was calling me a huge idiot because I couldn't figure out that breaking the glass made her vulnerable but she was saying bullets don't hurt her so I thought it meant you had to knife her to death. At least I saved a ton of ammo!

I intentionally did that.

Nearly all the enemies in that section can be handled with just the knife, saved me so much ammo it became a problem for my inventory. I think I killed 3 of the sisters with only the knife and was able to sneak around and fight enemies 1 on 1 with the knife a good amount. You just run around them and stay behind them slicing.

I also figured out the window thing pretty early on, as I was randomly slicing objects and caught a window. Noticed all of the windows would break with that animation and sound, so I figured it'd be important at some point. I broke all the windows as I went along in case I encountered them someplace unexpectedly.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Finished it. Didn't expect it to be stupid long but I enjoyed it to be honest.

Gunplay is solid once you disable some stuff in the settings, the environments look gorgeous and the story, while being a bit of acluster**** towards the end was still engaging enough to keep me interested. Although the reveal in the helicopter with the fallen soldier was ****ing awesome and makes me believe the T-Virus is going to make a comeback

Def need to play 7 now. Watched my ex play through it so I still had an idea of what was happening in 8 but yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingsholygrail

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Completed the game. I quite enjoyed it. Beneviento's house can kiss my taint though. Damn place creeped me right out.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Just finished it last night. What a ride. For such a tonal departure from VII, I thought Village was excellent. It had its scary moments (House Beneviento, specifically), but overall it was a lot less scary than VII. What it lacked in horror, though, it made up in action.

The brief instance where you play as Chris Redfield was really cool. They juxtaposed the hopelessness of playing as Ethan really well by giving you nearly unlimited ammo and incredibly powerful weapons.

Overall, it felt like a spiritual successor to RE4, so if you liked that game, you'll probably enjoy Village. If you're a fan of VII, you'll also probably like it, but I think you'd get the most enjoyment out of it if you adjust your expectations a little bit before starting the game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Completed the game. I quite enjoyed it. Beneviento's house can kiss my taint though. Damn place creeped me right out.

I loved the atmosphere there, but it was pretty easy to complete and the monster thing was just silly looking. Did you let it kill you at all? I laughed very hard at how that occurs.

Just finished it last night. What a ride. For such a tonal departure from VII, I thought Village was excellent. It had its scary moments (House Beneviento, specifically), but overall it was a lot less scary than VII. What it lacked in horror, though, it made up in action.

Overall, it felt like a spiritual successor to RE4, so if you liked that game, you'll probably enjoy Village. If you're a fan of VII, you'll also probably like it, but I think you'd get the most enjoyment out of it if you adjust your expectations a little bit before starting the game.

I hated RE4 and never finished it. This game definitely takes a ton of elements from that one, but it does it better. I'm still not a fan of no storage boxes and having the merchant though. Inventory space has rarely become an issue for me and has always been easily rectified in the game. It's definitely not nearly as scary as RE2 or Re7, and I hope they get away from the action trend because that's what doomed them last time with RE5 and RE6. Stick to staying creepy as best as possible.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I loved the atmosphere there, but it was pretty easy to complete and the monster thing was just silly looking. Did you let it kill you at all? I laughed very hard at how that occurs.

I hated RE4 and never finished it. This game definitely takes a ton of elements from that one, but it does it better. I'm still not a fan of no storage boxes and having the merchant though. Inventory space has rarely become an issue for me and has always been easily rectified in the game. It's definitely not nearly as scary as RE2 or Re7, and I hope they get away from the action trend because that's what doomed them last time with RE5 and RE6. Stick to staying creepy as best as possible.

unfortunately we have our fellow players to blame for that. There was not one scary moment for me in RE8 for me. I basically just went through areas easily that I suspect they tried to make scary. Also no VR option was also a negative for me.

“Speaking to Axios, producer Tsuyoshi Kanda said Capcom received Resident Evil 7 feedback and some players felt it was actually too scary. ... That constant fear was especially noticeable during the early portions of Resident Evil 7, which often found Ethan Winters chased through a large house by terrifying family members.”

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
unfortunately we have our fellow players to blame for that. There was not one scary moment for me in RE8 for me. I basically just went through areas easily that I suspect they tried to make scary. Also no VR option was also a negative for me.

“Speaking to Axios, producer Tsuyoshi Kanda said Capcom received Resident Evil 7 feedback and some players felt it was actually too scary. ... That constant fear was especially noticeable during the early portions of Resident Evil 7, which often found Ethan Winters chased through a large house by terrifying family members.”

That's so annoying. I don't think I've been scared yet, I've jumped once or twice, but I definitely felt on edge in RE7 at the beginning of the game. If you're not into being scared, why are you playing an RE game?

Reactions: GreytWun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->