News Article: Report: Seabrook aiming to return for NHL's 24-team playoffs

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
So basically the team operates with a cap 7 million less than the rest of the league. Best case scenario is he goes on LTIR and they can absorb some expiring contract money once the season starts.
Plenty of teams have an albatross contract. It sucks but it is what it is. We need young talent. I certainly agree it would be nice to get this Bowman blunder of a contract off the books but we can’t give up too many young potential assets to do it. It needs to be LTIR or a buy out. If the guy is in denial of his diminished skills it’s certainly within his rights to want to play.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Plenty of teams have an albatross contract. It sucks but it is what it is. We need young talent. I certainly agree it would be nice to get this Bowman blunder of a contract off the books but we can’t give up too many young potential assets to do it. It needs to be LTIR or a buy out. If the guy is in denial of his diminished skills it’s certainly within his rights to want to play.

A buyout does very little because of how the contract is structured with yearly signing bonuses.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
c3S1awm.jpg

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Ya know, i hope with all my heart that Seabs turns it around. Watching him from 2009-2015 was so amazing. There were times where we talked (not everybody, obviously) about how he would be neck and neck with Dunc at times.

I remember specifically a couple of HUGE goals in the playoffs against Calgary and Detroit in the playoffs from 2008-2010. I remember watching him partnered with Dunc in the Olympics. Guy has been a rock for this team for over a decade.

These surgeries are his last shot. I hope he does something with it. I would much rather overpay him for another four years as a #4/5 than to trade him if he's a #6/7. But it's all up to him.

It would really suck to see him leave and be bitter. He has been the oldest carryover from the $Bill years that is still relevant.

Please Seabs, f***ing do something this year

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ya know, i hope with all my heart that Seabs turns it around. Watching him from 2009-2015 was so amazing. There were times where we talked (not everybody, obviously) about how he would be neck and neck with Dunc at times.

I remember specifically a couple of HUGE goals in the playoffs against Calgary and Detroit in the playoffs from 2008-2010. I remember watching him partnered with Dunc in the Olympics. Guy has been a rock for this team for over a decade.

These surgeries are his last shot. I hope he does something with it. I would much rather overpay him for another four years as a #4/5 than to trade him if he's a #6/7. But it's all up to him.

It would really suck to see him leave and be bitter. He has been the oldest carryover from the $Bill years that is still relevant.

Please Seabs, f***ing do something this year

One thing is for certain. Seabs was really hurting before the surgeries. A few tweets confirmed that, including now being able to tie his own and his kids shoes and the ability to throw a football that he hasn't been able to do for a while.
No doubt it will be a tough road back for him but I too would love to see him return to some semblance of the player he once was.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
One thing is for certain. Seabs was really hurting before the surgeries. A few tweets confirmed that, including now being able to tie his own and his kids shoes and the ability to throw a football that he hasn't been able to do for a while.
No doubt it will be a tough road back for him but I too would love to see him return to some semblance of the player he once was.

See that's the part I don't get. Why not address some of these issue sooner if he was in so much pain?

And if the Hawks knew he had shoulder problems going back to his junior days and their doc gave him 10 years, why extend him for so long? It makes no sense.

Reactions: Muffinalt

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
When watching the Cubs’ game, I saw ESPN reporting that Seabs is out for the playoffs this year.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
There is one other very unlikely scenario that could happen.

If Seabrook is delusional enough to think he can still play hockey, but the Hawks don’t want him, they could always come to a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.

Much like Byfuglien did, under different circumstances obviously. Seems more like a pipe dream that Seabrook would give up 7 million dollars for 4 more years, but hey maybe he really is that delusional.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
So the brain says Yes Yes Yes, but the body says No No No. I guess what would you expect him to say? "Yes, I've lost 2 steps in just a couple of years"? I don't think he would admit that he has lost it yet especially with 4 remaining years. I think his pride prevents this and also admitting this to his teammates would be a bad lead. Not being 100% (needing the rest and rebuilding) gives him an out and allows him to maintain that pride that all athletes carry. If he can't come back next year better than he was he will gradually see the writing on the wall. His ice minutes will continue to be decreased or he will only be used in certain situations i.e. 7th D.

If he still sucks when he returns and you can't dump his salary, why not use him as a Left wing? Put his ass in front of the net to cause trouble (He's Big). Or use him as a 3rd d-man i.e. a lock guy? This would allow one of our more offensive D-men to get more aggressive and you wouldn't allow the odd man breaks. You would minimize his Ice time even more which is a good thing. I would argue that Seabrook in that role would be more valuable than Zach Smith.
The other alternative is that you go ahead and dress 7 d-men and double shift Kane on the first and third line. This is already being done in many games so it's not a new idea.

Some may scoff at my suggestions, but if Brent can't play at a high level and he still wants to play (and refuses to take LTIR) and can't be traded, and worries remain within the core that the hawks aren't treating him right, these are some ideas to get through the next few seasons. So far, our coaching staff hasn't fixed this situation (except for sitting him a couple of games and pissing off the core), but it's time to start to evaluate if he is really is one of the top 6 d-men on this team. I also surely wouldn't want the hawks to keep a prospect waiting until Seabrook contract expires.

I would like to thank Hatrick Kane for involking Byfuglien cause I believe he was moved from D to Forward on this team many years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad