WJC: Report: Refs told Swedes to skip handshakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analyzer*

Why would the refs only tell the swedes?

Because Canada won in Canada. Had Sweden won and in Sweden, or anywhere else, the refs would have told Canada to GTFO

OMFG it's a controversy!!!!

:laugh:

Anton "Says" Rodin.

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
OMG NOT SHAKING HANDS!

Really, this a big deal? seriously...

And yay the ref talking again! oh how I missed this time of the year...

I don't see the real issue either to be honest. Now i never played hockey as a youth but i did play other team sports and i never ever cared about the handshaking after a game. It was just something you did after a game.

Davebo*

Maybe it was on the air, I dunno.

Maybe?

Hey why not - when it's bull **** who needs to back it up. We may as well post whatever we ****ing want.

I heard on swede tv that they had to rush off the ice due to a malfunctioning tampon. Links to follow.... ;)

Hey - post whatever the hell you want.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Just do the handshaking before the game starts. Then after the dirty, despicable, cheating, referee paying, *******, lower than life Canadians win the game you don't have to acknowledge them.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Personally this is BS. The reffs wouldn't tell a team not to shake hands because they had a chippy game , that defeats the whole purpose. You don't shake hands just for the heck of it, it's to show that even after a rough game you still can man up and show a little respect for the other team. Something the Swedes couldn't do. And if for some reason the reffs did decide to send the teams back it would be both teams, not one. So until I hear otherwise, from a source more reliable then a frustraded Swedish player, I'll still be convinced that it was a disrespectful move by the Swedes.

And as for you Swedes complaining about the "bias" reffs, suck it up. If Sweden had been winning you wouldn't be complaining. So unlike your hockey team try and show some respect for the team that has been continuously beating you.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Personally this is BS. The reffs wouldn't tell a team not to shake hands because they had a chippy game , that defeats the whole purpose. You don't shake hands just for the heck of it, it's to show that even after a rough game you still can man up and show a little respect for the other team. Something the Swedes couldn't do. And if for some reason the reffs did decide to send the teams back it would be both teams, not one. So until I hear otherwise, from a source more reliable then a frustraded Swedish player, I'll still be convinced that it was a disrespectful move by the Swedes.

And as for you Swedes complaining about the "bias" reffs, suck it up. If Sweden had been winning you wouldn't be complaining. So unlike your hockey team try and show some respect for the team that has been continuously beating you.

:nopity:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

The game starts with each team respecting the other. Did not see the game, but Canada probably messed that up. So, Sweden didn't shake their hand. Boohoo! They are entitled to it. It's not about "manning up". It's about doing what you think is right. Always thought this "let's get in line and shake hands" is kind of childish act. Do like they do in soccer, go around shake somebody or all depending on how the mood is and so. Then walk off.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
so that is why Russia wins it the WC

damn Russian refs :sarcasm:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Exactly.

That...and why hasn't Cormier been suspended?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The game starts with each team respecting the other. Did not see the game, but Canada probably messed that up. So, Sweden didn't shake their hand. Boohoo! They are entitled to it. It's not about "manning up". It's about doing what you think is right. Always thought this "let's get in line and shake hands" is kind of childish act. Do like they do in soccer, go around shake somebody or all depending on how the mood is and so. Then walk off.

You're kidding?

By the way handshaking after a game is a time honoured tradition.

Don't like it, sure go ahead and refuse. Better still why not just NOT participate in the tournament if the Canadians are big bad bullies.

You know it's easy to bash some Europeans when all they do is cry.

J15

Mar 18, 2009

Both teams were dirty, other then the Cormier hit Sweden was much worse. Canada stayed on, Sweden couldn't give 2 minutes to acknowledge Canada. And as for doing what's right, Sweden took most of cheap shots, not to mention nearly hitting a reff over the head.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Yet if it were Canada who didn't shake Sweden's hands this would be considered classless?

How exactly do you put the blame on Canada for Sweden not shaking the Canadians hands after the game? I agree it's not about "manning up" but it is about having class, and if the story is true that team Sweden blew off the hand-shake then I do call that team classless.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
Actually, most Canadians like the WJC to be fairly well reffed. If we were in full on 'must-win' mode they would have to zamboni the ice just to get the blood out every 10 min

Violence is part of hockey, you have to embrace the madness.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Yet if it were Canada who didn't shake Sweden's hands this would be considered classless?

How exactly do you put the blame on Canada for Sweden not shaking the Canadians hands after the game? I agree it's not about "manning up" but it is about having class, and if the story is true that team Sweden blew off the hand-shake then I do call that team classless.

I have the solution to the problem with the cheating, dirty Canadians.

The Europeans should have a tournament by themselves and here in North America we can have a 7 game USA-Canada series.

Actually, I'd prefer it, as the Americans are really our number 1 rival these days.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Absolutely. Definitely have to rig all pre-tournament games, it would look bad if we didn't have the power play advantage.

We've won the tournament 5 years in a row. Must have been the Canadian refs in North Dakota, Vancouver, Leksand (what???), Pardubice, and Ottawa :laugh:

I really wish people would give all this "OMGZ Canadian officials!!!" a rest because it's completely ridiculous. I'm not even sure the ref for the exhibition game was Canadian.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Its a shame there's so much animosity already, especially between top two hockey nations right now. Coming into this tournament I sensed a lot of mutual respect from both sides.

If the refs did in fact tell the Swedish team not to take the hand shake that needs to be taken public IMO, because if it was the teams decision it would reflect poorly on them. And to judge the Swedish team based on the refs actions is unfair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad