WJC: Report: Refs told Swedes to skip handshakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Apparently the ref(s)told Sweden to leave the ice since there was alot of tension after a tough game.

No idea if this has been brought up before, couldn't find a thread about it anyway.

And another thing, any news of a suspension for the elbow from Patrice Cormier?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Apparently the ref(s)told Sweden to leave the ice since there was alot of tension after a tough game.

No idea if this has been brought up before, couldn't find a thread about it anyway.

Haha roflmao at TSN.

They made the whole thing up. You talk about having like a "6th" player on home ice in the fans. Canada have a 7th in TSN.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario

any link on this referee story??

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The previous thread

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=716812

Post a link Nordic. :)

Well, the link is in Swedish where the Swedish player Anton Rodin said that's what happend.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockeybladet/landslag/juniorhockey/article6329228.ab

Efter matchen lämnade det svenska laget isen utan att tacka sina motståndare.
Det mötte starka reaktioner i Kanada men var enligt den svenska truppen ett rent missförstånd.
Det blev bråk efter slutsignalen och domaren sa åt oss att åka av isen för att det var grinigt. Så var det tydligen inte, säger Anton Rödin.

Find a google translator and check it out - no use in me translating it.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canadian refs, you tell me?

You keep going on about the Canadian refs. Do really think a country that has barely lost a game at the world junior level in a decade needs Canadian refs to win a meaningless exhibition? Give it a rest. The likely reason they used Canadian refs a week before the tournament begins is the IIHF refs haven't arrived yet. Just like the IIHF directorate that could potentialy deal with the Cormier elbow isn't there yet. Would you rather have Sweden not play any pre-tournament games? Next time we'll know better.

As for Rodin's explaination, sounds reasonable. Move on folks.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
You keep going on about the Canadian refs. Do really think a country that has barely lost a game at the world junior level in a decade needs Canadian refs to win a meaningless exhibition? Give it a rest. The likely reason they used Canadian refs a week before the tournament begins is the IIHF refs haven't arrived yet. Just like the IIHF directorate that could potentialy deal with the Cormier elbow isn't there yet. Would you rather have Sweden not play any pre-tournament games? Next time we'll know better.

As for Rodin's explaination, sounds reasonable. Move on folks.

That's the whole point.

You don't need the refs to help you out, yet they do in every single tournament - both junior and senior.

I have never seen an international game where Canada has gotten screwed by the refs, but I see the other way around all the time.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
That's the whole point.

You don't need the refs to help you out, yet they do in every single tournament - both junior and senior.

I have never seen an international game where Canada has gotten screwed by the refs, but I see the other way around all the time.

You exhibit strong symptoms of an inferiority complex. Many around here do.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
so, i translated that quoted piece...im american, have no ties to either squad except for the fact that i think hockey is the greatest game on earth and id watch a bunch of beer leaguers play if it meant getting away from work haha.

anyhow, i dont speak the language so this is purely the work of online translation:

Det mötte starka reaktioner i Kanada men var enligt den svenska truppen ett rent missförstånd.
– Det blev brÃ¥k efter slutsignalen och domaren sa Ã¥t oss att Ã¥ka av isen för att det var grinigt. SÃ¥ var det tydligen inte, säger Anton Rödin.

After the game, the Swedish team submitted the ice without thanking its antagonist.
The met strong reaktioner in Canada but was according to the Swedish troop a clean misunderstanding.
- it became troubles after the end signal and the judge said to us to go of the ice in order to it there grinigt. So, it was not evidently, Anton says Rödin.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I hate how to title says sweden not shaking when the first sentence reads REFEREEs tell teams not to shake hands.

Davebo*

Haha roflmao at TSN.

They made the whole thing up. You talk about having like a "6th" player on home ice in the fans. Canada have a 7th in TSN.

Where's the link? You're bringing up TSN - post the link.

Macman

May 15, 2004
That's the whole point.

Perhaps you haven't watched enough. Every IIHF-sanctioned tournament I've ever seen has had Canadians penalized for hard, legal hits. This one will be no different, I guarantee.

I can understand that losing to Canada all the time at the junior level must get frustrating but what I don't undersand is the level of paranoia that causes someone to actually believe that refs from other countries want Canada to win.

Sweden lost the other night because they spent more time trying to prove how tough they were instead of playing their own game. It had nothing to do with officiating and everything to do with the fact they played a stupid game that, other than the Cormier hit, was much chippier Canada's.

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
so, i translated that quoted piece...im american, have no ties to either squad except for the fact that i think hockey is the greatest game on earth and id watch a bunch of beer leaguers play if it meant getting away from work haha.

anyhow, i dont speak the language so this is purely the work of online translation:

– Det blev brÃ¥k efter slutsignalen och domaren sa Ã¥t oss att Ã¥ka av isen för att det var grinigt. SÃ¥ var det tydligen inte, säger Anton Rödin.

After the game, the Swedish team submitted the ice without thanking its antagonist.
The met strong reaktioner in Canada but was according to the Swedish troop a clean misunderstanding.
- it became troubles after the end signal and the judge said to us to go of the ice in order to it there grinigt. So, it was not evidently, Anton says Rödin.

I'll give you a proper translation (but most of you probably get the idea from the badly translated version above).

After the game the team left the ice without thanking their opponents.
That met with strong reactions in Canada but according to the Swedish squad it was a pure misunderstanding.
- There was fighting after the final whistle and the ref said to us that we should leave the ice due to the bad mood. Apparently that wasn't the case, says Anton Rödin.

There..

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Perhaps you haven't watched enough. Every IIHF-sanctioned tournament I've ever seen has had Canadians penalized for hard, legal hits. This one will be no different, I guarantee.

Thats basically due to the definition of a "clean hit" differs between NA and Europe.

A lot of clean hits that are not penalized in the NHL would be a boarding in European leagues.

There is a gap in the officiating causing most of the discussions during international tourneys. The officiating might be unbiased but because of the level one team (or rather their fans) will feel screwed.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
OMG NOT SHAKING HANDS!

Really, this a big deal? seriously...

And yay the ref talking again! oh how I missed this time of the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->