Report: Oilers fire stats blogger Tyler Dellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What they've been doing for 8 years hasn't been working so lets end a new approach after 5 months.

New analytics aren't the be-all-end-all, but if you think they aren't worth knowing and having someone working on... I just don't know what to say.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Wasn't he hired to power Eakins' stat/metrics driven philosophies? No surprise he might be on the outs once Eakins crashed and burned. Looking further, Nelson coaches about sound fundamentals as habits and a solid work ethic. None of which is necessarily driven by deep statistical analysis. There is room for Dellow and that analysis in the sport, but the Oilers are not in a position to really benefit from it.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Wasn't he hired to power Eakins' stat/metrics driven philosophies? No surprise he might be on the outs once Eakins crashed and burned. Looking further, Nelson coaches about sound fundamentals as habits and a solid work ethic. None of which is necessarily driven by deep statistical analysis. There is room for Dellow and that analysis in the sport, but the Oilers are not in a position to really benefit from it.

Care to explain why these things have to be mutually exclusive?

hint: they aren't

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Care to explain why these things have to be mutually exclusive?

hint: they aren't

If you're visually assessing the performance and perception of work ethic, I doubt you are particularly concerned with statistics. If you're not pouring over statistical data, why pay somebody to work on it? I am saying that the Oilers are not good enough for it to matter. They will get more out of making those guys bust their ass for 60 minutes than the minutiae of stats at this point.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For what it's worth, Dellow was not the only person working analytics for the Oilers. They apparently already had multiple people working in their front office on analytics, but Dellow was brought in by Eakins to work with the coaching staff. Not a surprise he left with Eakins.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If you're visually assessing the performance and perception of work ethic, I doubt you are particularly concerned with statistics. If you're not pouring over statistical data, why pay somebody to work on it? I am saying that the Oilers are not good enough for it to matter. They will get more out of making those guys bust their ass for 60 minutes than the minutiae of stats at this point.

Making your young guys work hard and be fundamentally sound is excellent. Arbitrarily not using a method of quantifying how well they are doing under your coaching is idiotic, regardless of if your team is in 1st or 30th.

Nei1ey*

Damn, Big Changes underways in Oil land. First Eakins, now...HIM?!, now who's next??? :amazed:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I say moron because he acts like stats are the be all end all of the NHL and hockey.

I can agree with this. I followed him for a bit on Twitter but he was overly biased against anything non-Oilers and had some real arrogant opinions.

Good writer from what I've heard, but too much of an a-hole. (He was a lawyer, so it makes sense :laugh:)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He was hired for Eakins.

Eakins is gone, so they don't need him anymore.

It has nothing to do with the Oilers' direction.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

So the coaches don't track goals or save percentage either, as long as they are trying hard?

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Oilers keep firing, failing, firing, failing, but the one factor that remains unscathed is management. Its like an insane lunatic trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, and failing to see whats needed to make real change. Oh well, the circus continues... :lol:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its like an insane lunatic trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, and failing to see whats needed to make real change. Oh well, the circus continues... :lol:

Doesn't help they have the Old Boys Club thing going. Lowe needs to simply be fired. Nothing will change until he's gone. But for some reason Katz won't change that, so I don't think even Nicholson can.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
I don't understand why he'd be working for the coach. A "stats guru" is best suited as an assistant to the GM to provide extra information when making personnel decisions.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't understand why he'd be working for the coach. A "stats guru" is best suited as an assistant to the GM to provide extra information when making personnel decisions.

Could be useful for working with the coach on effective deployment strategies, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad