Rumor: REPORT: Leafs Could Host Rangers in 2017 For Winter Classic

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
BMO field is not as big. But it will be fun playing against the Rangers. Would prefer the Habs or Oilers.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It'll be great to have it in TO, though I would prefer to play the oilers because of McDavid.

I really want the draft though, I'd go to that for sure

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It'll be great to have it in TO, though I would prefer to play the oilers because of McDavid.

I really want the draft though, I'd go to that for sure

Out of the Winter Classic, the All-Star Game, and the draft, the draft is the only event that is even remotely worth going to.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Out of the Winter Classic, the All-Star Game, and the draft, the draft is the only event that is even remotely worth going to.

I would love to attend a draft, but how can it be more worth going to then an actual game of the team you are a fan of? :laugh:

ASG this year could be fun, if star players actually show. 3-3 tourney with the most skilled players in hockey can't be all bad.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I would love to attend a draft, but how can it be more worth going to then an actual game of the team you are a fan of? :laugh:

ASG this year could be fun, if star players actually show. 3-3 tourney with the most skilled players in hockey can't be all bad.

Simple. Because of the outrageous prices, horrible sight lines (most likely), and freezing your ass off.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Am I alone in the feeling that the winter classic has run its course? Generates big $'s for the NHL, but as a fan I find it meh at best.
It's moe about the event than the actual game. Wouldn't be that good to watch on tv but it would be great to be there.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Am I alone in the feeling that the winter classic has run its course? Generates big $'s for the NHL, but as a fan I find it meh at best.

I love the Winter Classic. Great New Year's Day tradition.

The other outdoor games though lose their charm the more that are played.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm sorry, it shouldn't be the Rangers.

It should be Montreal or Ottawa.

Either way, worried about the prices. When I went to Detroit it was 100,000 people...but how much can they realistically pack into the BMO Field?

I'll probably go to about $300 for a ticket but after that I'd tap out.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
anyone else feel the outdoor games have lost their exciting factor?

nope. I really enjoy them, maybe it's just the homer in me but the Leafs-Wings at the Big House was very exciting and one of/if not the best Outdoor game the NHL has had.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It should be Montreal or Ottawa.

Either way, worried about the prices. When I went to Detroit it was 100,000 people...but how much can they realistically pack into the BMO Field?

I'll probably go to about $300 for a ticket but after that I'd tap out.

40k to 50k at most would be my guess.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
40k to 50k at most would be my guess.

That sounds about right.

They might be doing a lot of modifications to accommodate the Argos as well, at which point does the ceiling reach maybe 60k people?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs have nothing really against the Rangers, but they gotta sell the game to the Murks'.

They can't do the wings because it was so recent, but the round 2 would be infinitely more interesting than the Rangers when you factor in Babcock switched sides.

Next would be the Habs, but they just had it(about to).

Then it would be the Bruins, but they just had it as well(about to).

This is why I think it should be Buffalo. There is a rivalry there. The teams don't like each other, the cities don't like each other and they've played some fantastic games. Both teams are 'up and coming' as well.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs have nothing really against the Rangers, but they gotta sell the game to the Murks'.

This is why I think it should be Buffalo. There is a rivalry there. The teams don't like each other, the cities don't like each other and they've played some fantastic games. Both teams are 'up and coming' as well.

Buffalo is too small a market, unless they think Eichel becomes huge.

LeafsEqualDaBest

Feb 2, 2015
i know. i failed that in kindergarten.

like, seriously, i do think it's pants that we have to share when Montreal didn't. But, then Montreal turned 100 by itself, and we're turning 100 along with the NHL, sharing 50th anniversaries with several teams, and Canada turns the big 150 which apparently means Ottawa wants some love and attention as well

I figure

World Cup
Winter Classic (which theoretically, meh - 98% of the awesome came with 24/7 and that's now canned, so it's not that big of a deal)
Draft

is fair enough
(I'd even toss in a Heritage Classic or something).

LA can have the ASG, Ottawa gets the big HC with Montreal (because of the whole Canada 150), and we still get the biggest piece of the pie.

and of course Babcock magics us a Stanley Cup, because he's babcock and all.

Montreal didn't have to share, but they also didn't get a Winter Classic IIRC. I'd rather have a winter classic than ASG. I went to the Skills comp in Montreal that year by pure fluke and it wasn't anything worth seeing again IMHO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad