Rumor: REPORT: Leafs Could Host Rangers in 2017 For Winter Classic

mikebel111*

I would love that.

Question though.

Has it been already confirmed that we will be one of the 2 teams who will be part of the Winter Classic?

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Would have been nice if it could be against the Bruins or old Norris division rival Chicago but they're in this years so that's a no go and Chicago's been in a ton of them already. If it had to be against an original 6 team NYR is the only logical choice.

Chicago - already been in three of them
Detroit - been there done that
Montreal - Canadian team
Boston - playing this years game

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Good.

We better be getting the Draft and All-Star game too.

Though, this is Howard Berger. He's pretty horrible.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Good.

We better be getting the Draft and All-Star game too.

Though, this is Howard Berger. He's pretty horrible.

meh. we have to share, apparently. I don't mind losing the ASG, because we're getting the world cup, and let' be honest. that's going to be the better draw and better hockey anyway.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Am I alone in the feeling that the winter classic has run its course? Generates big $'s for the NHL, but as a fan I find it meh at best.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
meh. we have to share, apparently. I don't mind losing the ASG, because we're getting the world cup, and let' be honest. that's going to be the better draw and better hockey anyway.

I don't like sharing :(

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
awesome if true.

next year will be such an amazing season for leaf fans for so many reasons..

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't like sharing :(

i know. i failed that in kindergarten.

like, seriously, i do think it's pants that we have to share when Montreal didn't. But, then Montreal turned 100 by itself, and we're turning 100 along with the NHL, sharing 50th anniversaries with several teams, and Canada turns the big 150 which apparently means Ottawa wants some love and attention as well

I figure

World Cup
Winter Classic (which theoretically, meh - 98% of the awesome came with 24/7 and that's now canned, so it's not that big of a deal)
Draft

is fair enough
(I'd even toss in a Heritage Classic or something).

LA can have the ASG, Ottawa gets the big HC with Montreal (because of the whole Canada 150), and we still get the biggest piece of the pie.

and of course Babcock magics us a Stanley Cup, because he's babcock and all.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

like, seriously, i do think it's pants that we have to share when Montreal didn't. But, then Montreal turned 100 by itself, and we're turning 100 along with the NHL, sharing 50th anniversaries with several teams, and Canada turns the big 150 which apparently means Ottawa wants some love and attention as well

I figure

World Cup
Winter Classic (which theoretically, meh - 98% of the awesome came with 24/7 and that's now canned, so it's not that big of a deal)
Draft

is fair enough

LA can have the ASG, Ottawa gets the big HC with Montreal (because of the whole Canada 150), and we still get the biggest piece of the pie.

I'd fly out there for the draft.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So what is the difference between the Heritage and Winter Classics, other than Heritage isn't held annually and involves Canadian teams, and the Winter involves mostly American teams?

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

I figure

World Cup
Draft

is fair enough

Take footage of Babcock from the last 24/7 and use it to replace Carlyle in the Leafs footage, problem solved. Then again, I don't know if I want to watch Babcock get mad at a toaster for 20 minutes.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Winter Classic is January 1, heritage classic is not.

If that's the only other distinction, they should just do away with one of the "Winter" and "Heritage" names, and just use one. If American broadcasters cry about excluding Canadian teams and this is important to the NHL, then have 2 games on Jan 1.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
So what is the difference between the Heritage and Winter Classics, other than Heritage isn't held annually and involves Canadian teams, and the Winter involves mostly American teams?
Stadium Series and Heritage Classics are basically the NHL's way of telling the other teams in the league that they aren't worthy of being broadcast nationally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad