Blue Jays Discussion: Report: Jays trade Lawrie, Nolin, Graveman & prospect Barreto to Oak for 3B Donaldson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Barreto will crush the minors, and I'm confident he will be a solid player for Oakland in a few years. I just find it hilarious that Beane went for it by trading Addison Russell for Samard and now he moved Donaldson for Barreto + Lawrie. It could have been avoidable if he did not make that trade, but maybe they don't want to pay Donaldson since he's super 2. In any case I expect Sam to get dealt by or during the winter meetings.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Steve Fainaru ‏@SteveFainaru 9m9 minutes ago
“It doesn’t make sense to me,” outfielder Josh Reddick tells @susanslusser "We traded our best player the past two years.” #Athletics

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Imagine if the Leafs traded Rielly for Erik Karlsson...that's basically what this deal is. Sure everyone has a soft spot for Rielly but it's ****ing Erik Karlsson.:laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't say that. Rielly doesn't really compare to Lawrie in that Lawrie is older and won't likely reach potential because he's hurt all the time.

I'd say maybe if Carolina traded Skinner, 2 future 4th liners, and a potential top 6 player who's 2-3 years away for Perry.

Ok before I get excited....
2014: Josh Donaldson signed a 1 year / $500k contract with the Oakland Athletics,

now what ?

he's under 4 years of team control. Arbitration.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We need to add a top line starter. Go hard after Lester/Shields/Scherzer.

Deal Dickey if you need to.

Lester/Shields/Scherzer
Stroman
Buehrle
Hutch
Happ/Dickey

:drool:

why trade Dickey? isn't he our knuckleball ace?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Donaldson is going to get a big payday in Arbitration. It might make sense for both sides to get cost certainty by trying to negotiate a long term deal and possibly buyout a couple years of free agency.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ok but he's going to want a big raise no doubt

And the Jays will easily be able to pay him when the time comes (assuming he wants to stick around) since a lot of those big contracts will be off the books.

**** you, Jay Bruce. Have fun rotting in Cincy.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm ****ing ecstatic right now. HUGE deal. Anyone who watches baseball knows that Donaldson can play. One of the best 3B's in the league. Watch him get 35+ dingers too at Rogers Centre.

Wow.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser 49s50 seconds ago
Beane says that #Athletics were pretty adamant they weren't going to deal Donaldson but #BlueJays essentially overwhelmed them.

I bet AA just kept saying "do it" over and over again before Beane lost his mind and said yes.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Can someone pinch me?

I honestly am still dumbfounded that we were able to upgrade Lawrie for Donaldson at the cost of a pair of #5 starters and a CF prospect 2 years away.

To top it off, after acquiring Donaldson. Sanchez, Norris and Pompey are STILL HERE!

As well as Pentecost and Hoffman who I know would have had to be players to be named later but still. Aside from Barreto the elite pieces of the prospect pool are retained and we got a perennial all star who's cheap and under team control. Just insane

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
why trade Dickey? isn't he our knuckleball ace?

Dickey isn't an ace anymore. That's what he was (possibly) brought here to do, but he's not. At this point he's over 40 years old. A blah #2, good #3 pitcher. Our rotation is going to get younger with Stroman, and Hutch already in it. Sanchez probably deserving of a chance next year. To make room for an actual ace(say Lester) we have to trade Buerhle or Dickey(and Happ). Buerhle has been good with the young guys as a mentor, and has a bigger salary so probably wouldn't return as much as Dickey will. Therefore if we were to acquire say Lester, you probably trade Dickey.

Lester
Stroman
Buerhle
Hutch
Sanchez

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Beane says that #Athletics were pretty adamant they weren't going to deal Donaldson but #BlueJays essentially overwhelmed them.

I bet AA just kept saying "do it" over and over again before Beane lost his mind and said yes.

Or inject his daily routine with subtle reminders.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And the Jays will easily be able to pay him when the time comes (assuming he wants to stick around) since a lot of those big contracts will be off the books.

**** you, Jay Bruce. Have fun rotting in Cincy.

Why? Jay Bruce never used his no trade clause. If the Jays are really targeting him though I'm sure he would waive it after seeing this acquisition. :laugh:

Also the Jays could still really use a lefthanded bat.

As well as Pentecost and Hoffman who I know would have had to be players to be named later but still. Aside from Barreto the elite pieces of the prospect pool are retained and we got a perennial all star who's cheap and under team control. Just insane

Yeah he's not very expensive this year but he'll get pricey very soon. I'd lock him up to that Seager contract. Ball so hard AA, you tha best.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Honestly, its time for rogers to go all in.

The pieces are there to make this an absurd team it just needs to spend some money.

Spend what it takes to keep melky.

Sign lester.

Sign Torii Hunter to platoon CF, or look into another CF.

Adjust the bullpen through trades/cheap FAs.

Thats a WS contender.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I would offer him the Jose deal

$8, $14, $14, $14, $14, $14Team option

You're getting one free agent year + an option and paying 50M for 4 arbitration years. His arb years will get expensive towards the end as a super two but 50M for 4 arbitration years seems a bit much.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

ok, now just do the same for Kershaw :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad