Blue Jays Discussion: Report: Jays trade Lawrie, Nolin, Graveman & prospect Barreto to Oak for 3B Donaldson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Did I hear that right?

Jeff Blair just said that AA never makes the original offer to a player. He contacts their agent and says to come back with their best offer, and at that point he will decide if it can work.

I don't know what to think about that..

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
AA doesn't currently have any offers out there to any players, nor is he preparing any at this time.

From the man himself.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Did I hear that right?

Jeff Blair just said that AA never makes the original offer to a player. He contacts their agent and says to come back with their best offer, and at that point he will decide if it can work.

I don't know what to think about that..

For the Blue Jays it makes a twisted bit of sense. The Jays are rarely, if ever, going to be a player's primary choice as a destination. Nor are they going to ever be in much of a position to get a discount from a free agent. So if the Jays are going to sign someone it's going to be because they offered up a more enticing contract to the player than other teams do. That means that going back and forth in negotiations where the Jays underbid and the player rejects and rejects and rejects until they come in at the price that the market bares is likely a worthless endeavour. So doing this they cut to the chase.

It'll probably cost them the odd mid-tier FA who would jump on the first contract offered to them, but in terms of dealing with higher end FAs, it's probably not the worst way to do business.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For the Blue Jays it makes a twisted bit of sense. The Jays are rarely, if ever, going to be a player's primary choice as a destination. Nor are they going to ever be in much of a position to get a discount from a free agent. So if the Jays are going to sign someone it's going to be because they offered up a more enticing contract to the player than other teams do. That means that going back and forth in negotiations where the Jays underbid and the player rejects and rejects and rejects until they come in at the price that the market bares is likely a worthless endeavour. So doing this they cut to the chase.

It'll probably cost them the odd mid-tier FA who would jump on the first contract offered to them, but in terms of dealing with higher end FAs, it's probably not the worst way to do business.

Not to mention. If you make a first offer that's insulting to a player, it can lead to a breakdown right away in a negotiation since they will seem to be far apart. Going to the player and asking him puts the onus on them to put forth an offer that won't insult the Jays and take them out of the running early.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This doesn't look like Baseball Central. This doesn't look like Baseball Central at all. Unless Zaun and Martin are planning to talk about the game while curling.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. I just think it could also limit their chances at some free agents in some cases. If I'm a player and I know this, I'm asking for a lot more cash from the Blue Jays than I feel I could probably get elsewhere.

I don't know, maybe other teams follow this method too. I just assumed the team usually comes up with an original offer as to what they think they're worth and it goes from there.

To me, this just screams "looking for 100 million but telling the Jays I want 125. :laugh: Obviously I know negotiating takes time, I just don't know if that's always the best way to go. Makes you wonder if that's why we haven't signed many players during AA tenure. Is he backing off immediately when that initial price comes in?

Maybe I'm just looking too much into it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not to mention. If you make a first offer that's insulting to a player, it can lead to a breakdown right away in a negotiation since they will seem to be far apart. Going to the player and asking him puts the onus on them to put forth an offer that won't insult the Jays and take them out of the running early.

Plus if the Jays don't make an initial offer, the player's agent can't use it as a starting point for other teams to add upon. This strategy could keep the end price down in some situations.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I would think most teams have a pretty good idea of what the marketplace is for most if not all FA's and by asking the FA to give a price usually confirms if that player/agent know their own value in the marketplace.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
AA doesn't currently have any offers out there to any players, nor is he preparing any at this time.

From the man himself.

AA always wants to keep things quiet.

Not really shocked at that answer, and don't believe it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Falls in line with his position on Melky. "Go find out what your value is and get back to us in a few weeks". I can see some positives and negatives. It does allow you to get jerked around less by agents though I suppose. I doubt this is the case 100% of the time though. Nobody is that patient.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. I just think it could also limit their chances at some free agents in some cases. If I'm a player and I know this, I'm asking for a lot more cash from the Blue Jays than I feel I could probably get elsewhere.

I don't know, maybe other teams follow this method too. I just assumed the team usually comes up with an original offer as to what they think they're worth and it goes from there.

To me, this just screams "looking for 100 million but telling the Jays I want 125. :laugh: Obviously I know negotiating takes time, I just don't know if that's always the best way to go. Makes you wonder if that's why we haven't signed many players during AA tenure. Is he backing off immediately when that initial price comes in?

Maybe I'm just looking too much into it.

It sounds to me like AA just wants to hear the best offer when all negotiations are already done. I think he doesn't want to waste time going back and forth with an agent when he knows his team isn't an attractive destination.

So to use Sandoval as an example, the agent will likely call AA at the end of negotiations with the 5 - 6 odd teams and say the highest bid is X years/XXX money, and Pablo will accept a contract of X years/xxx money from the Jays. AA then has the opportunity to sign him or pass. A pretty efficient way of doing business if you ask me.

Jaysfanatic*

Jeff Blair ‏@SNJeffBlair
Jays will focus on trades. Source tells me Jays think they have real shot at Andrew Miller and can get 3 or 4 year deal with him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hmmmm. So Andrew Miller would be big for the pen.

- Apparently we are making/made an offer to Panda.

- We are in on Hunter, and possibly Headley if we lose out on Panda.

- We might make an offer to Lester.

Anything I am missing?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't buy the Sandoval stuff. Just sounds like media posturing. Not an immediate area of need. Why would we hand out a large contract for it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't buy the Sandoval stuff. Just sounds like media posturing. Not an immediate area of need. Why would we hand out a large contract for it.

Signing Panda makes Lawrie our 2B, filling that need.

Similar to going after Chase Headley.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

I don't think Lawrie playing 2nd is the best for him health wise. You're putting alot more torque on your mid-section and that scares me from an oblique perspective. He's a gold glover at 3rd, I'd prefer him there. Not a fan of either of those guys on turf aswell. Sandoval is a heavy weight and Headley has back problems (something notorious with playing on turf). If we're going to find a 2nd baseman, ideally you want one that can slide over to shortstop aswell.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I really hope we don't waste money on Headley. Would rather have Lawrie's superior defense at 3B and go with internal options at 2B, or pay the price to acquire Alexei Ramirez.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Jeff Blair ‏@SNJeffBlair
Jays will focus on trades. Source tells me Jays think they have real shot at Andrew Miller and can get 3 or 4 year deal with him.

What's the obsession with Miller. Just another reliever who put together a good season.

Got burned already with Santos.

Jaysfanatic*

Key difference, he's been getting better over the past three seasons. They figure the big guy is figuring it out. Relievers are a fickle bunch though and throwing big money is probably not the greatest idea. I'd like Miller and K-Rod though, creates internal closer competition.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Key difference, he's been getting better over the past three seasons. They figure the big guy is figuring it out. Relievers are a fickle bunch though and throwing big money is probably not the greatest idea. I'd like Miller and K-Rod though, creates internal closer competition.

K-Rod would be the clear closer, with Miller being the perfect set up man (although pricey). Can't see AA spending so much on the bullpen with likely cheaper options available through trade. Although I can't say I wouldn't be excited with this bullpen:

K-Rod
Miller
Cecil
Loup
McGowan (could still be re-signed)
Redmond
Estrada

Jaysfanatic*

There are good reliever options out there and maybe Delabar bounces back, who knows?

A power lefty from the pen is a rare thing. I can think of Chapman and Venters as probably the top lefty power arms from the pen in the bigs.

Rafael Soriano is an intriguing option as well. Instead of McGowan, why not Soriano?

Rodriguez
Miller
Soriano
Loup
Cecil
Jenkins
Redmond

non-tender Estrada.

Jenkins can do what Estrada does for less monies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if Jason Grilli migjt be a good low cost option.

Closing experience and threw to Martin in Pitt. Had an off year last year, and he is getting older... But was very good for a handful of years before. His second hald numbers with the Angels were better too

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
To go with the whole Bob McCown thing

Andrew Stoeten
‏@AndrewStoeten McCown: I'm told the Blue Jays haven't said no yet to the seven year term required to get Lester. They're thinking about it.

Jaysfanatic*

Maybe they're thinking he's durable enough and money enough to do it.

Antho said that there were no holes in Martin's game. I feel that's how they look at it, how the player takes care of himself etc and then if they feel comfortable they may do it.

He has said that they probably don't break the 5 year rule, but Anthopolous has a go to quote he uses often: "things change"

Would be amazing to have him, guys, it really would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad